Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 08:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Julia Robert named her daughter Hazel. I have no idea if there is a family connection. Very surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 08:16 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
With regard to those who don't have kids or grandkids to look after them, is it possible some of these people never tried to make friends or establish relationships with younger relatives (say, nieces of nephews) when they were younger? I know so many people these days who don't even try to get to know their neighbors. I've heard women in my age range (40s) say things like "I have enough friends already, I don't want to meet anyone new". If someone is worried about winding up alone or think it might be a possibility some day, my best advice is start making connections now and don't dismiss anyone that could become a friend.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
That is good advice tassity22. It is predicated, though, on living in the same town or city from one's 40's onward so that people who you've been lucky enough to connect with happen to live in the same locale for decades.

Many people move around to different geographic areas. Having a friend or two or three in different geographic locales away from one's own does not really help older people. It's a good connection, but it's not local.

And some people do not have relatives who live in the same state or same region or even same fourth of the U.S.

Also, some people do not have nieces or nephews (I do not) and those may not live geographically close.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Must be nice. Not an option for an Elder Orphan.
Believe me, this was a surprise. My son got out on his own and grew up. He got married, a good job and is finishing college with plans to go back later. Before that, he was mostly drifting. My problem is I'm just plain not *ready* for that much togetherness so there's going to be some negotiating. He has inherited mom's and his grandfathers major streak of stubborn though.

I do consider myself lucky, though if the vision of togetherness is a tad too together... only works if its right for everyone.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:20 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
That is good advice tassity22. It is predicated, though, on living in the same town or city from one's 40's onward so that people who you've been lucky enough to connect with happen to live in the same locale for decades.

Many people move around to different geographic areas. Having a friend or two or three in different geographic locales away from one's own does not really help older people. It's a good connection, but it's not local.

And some people do not have relatives who live in the same state or same region or even same fourth of the U.S.

Also, some people do not have nieces or nephews (I do not) and those may not live geographically close.
Same with me. I am an only child so no brothers or sisters or their kids to depend on. I have friends in multiple regions but even if you're from a region then move back, years go by and lives change. I've been gone basically for four years and many of my high school friends who I partied with in my mid 20s are now settled with families. It's hard to reestablish connections sometimes or form new ones with kids and a busy career

Old 09-19-2016, 06:43 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I have two nieces, but I never see them, nor am I close to them, and I'm certainly not counting on them helping me, or even visiting me, in my dotage! Being alone -- once you get used to it -- isn't the most terrible thing in the world; there's a certain liberty in it...

After all, freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Old 09-19-2016, 06:57 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
For that matter, in the early part of the last century (until about the 50s), families would have CHEAP live-in help; a maid or nanny to help around the house in exchange for room and board and a small stipend. Maybe an onsite handyman living in a structure out back. Families would absorb such people who would otherwise be living alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Alice from the Brady Bunch too, in the '70's! She was live-in....and alone...except for a few dates with the butcher...ha

Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have two nieces, but I never see them, nor am I close to them, and I'm certainly not counting on them helping me, or even visiting me, in my dotage! Being alone -- once you get used to it -- isn't the most terrible thing in the world; there's a certain liberty in it...
Oh, I would enjoy being alone with just a couple of cats for companionship. But I feel I'd need to have a few people in my old age who might just contact me once in a while to see if I'm okay.

However, if I am not in good shape when I'm older, I'm really going to need some good friends.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The killer is that the name Hazel is gaining in popularity with new parents of baby girls. That's exactly the image that comes to my mind, and I am horrified that someone would name a baby after that loud-mouth, obnoxious character, lol. The young parents who are choosing that name have no idea who she was.
How do you know that she was named for a tv character? Could be the name of a beloved great grandma.
My daughter reports there is a Muriel in her daughter's daycare named for a great grandma.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:12 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
My nearest relative is 1,000 miles away but I go to a big church that has a Tuesday morning Vintage seniors group and I have a lot of friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement