Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 01:07 PM

54 posts, read 56,814 times

Advertisements

Since I retired and since I passed sixty years old, I just can't get over that I am that old and am retired. It was just yesterday that my folks were helping me with my career plans and job applications. It was just yesterday I was in Vo Tech learning a trade.

Recently I have been having lots of dreams that seem so real where I am in my twenties just brand new in the adult world and interacting with old bosses, coworkers and friends from that era. My home town is just like it was back then, a simple time in America. My folks were still alive and in those dreams I was close pals with my now deceased brother.

Do all these dreams about my life in the 1970s tell me that live was better when I was young and working?

Now that you are retired, do you have lots of dreams about life as a worker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:12 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
I am not knowledgeable about dream interpretation, but certainly it is not unusual to dream about significant periods of our earlier lives. I wouldn't worry overly much about the "meaning" of your dreams, which after all sound rather pleasant from your brief description.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:42 PM

344 posts, read 416,756 times
My job as a worker involved a lot of plane travel. I knew when I was leaving about 6 months in advance. Once the decision was made, leading up to my final day and for a few months afterwards I had several dreams of being in plane crashes! I woke up each time before impact but there was no doubt the plane was going down. I probably had a half dozen of them but haven't had one in a while.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Immediately after retiring, I took off in an RV and traveled across the country. I never looked back. Finally after 5 years I went back for a quick visit. I did not miss my old life and certainly did not dream about it.

If thoughts of your previous life fill your dreams, perhaps you need to develop more current interests, goals and activities.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
I am 82, working is the distant past. I am more inclined to think of the places I/we have been over the years.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I retired early at 55 from teaching because of changes coming to SS and health insurance offered to early retirees...
I had a bad final year...lot of stress on the job plus my father died (lot of contention w/his wife befor/after that) and our cat and dog died that year...I felt I had a moral obligation to finish out the school year and tried to do a good job but my admin was really weak and staying the rest of the year after my dad died in Nov was very challenging and draining...
I had horrible dreams of teaching for months afterward and there are times even now --more than 10 yrs later --when I still can fall into one...and wake in a panic...so grateful it was a dream...

Old 09-12-2016, 06:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I have only had one dream about work (after medicated for an operation) It was a doosy, I don't ever want or need another. As a truckdriver, I was locked in the trailer, and some coo-k was driving over a mtn pass (I did lots of Mtn passes everyday).. not sure we made it home that night. That med (IV) gave me nightmares for the following 3 yrs.

I have a lot of terrifying dreams, but none are so bad to include work related content.

Usually some adventure I had as a youth (pre age 6), always with family and friends, old dogs, schoolmates, and horses I owned; but never co-workers (IIRC).

I find relief in that.... apparently I am not likely to go postal and target ex-coworkers.

Maybe you are having 'post' separation anxiety, take a relaxing vacation FAR away. Write out your feelings and burn them for (your) good.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
I miss the high of concert and musical production. It was total involvement day/eve/weekend. I esp loved the rehearsals even the time put in that was not on the pay log. So many characters revolving through my life and I was good at what I did. The nightmare part in the nonprofit organizations I worked for was the board of directors always, the same cast of elite characters who meddled and created poor policy decisions with poor consequence. People you work for can indeed make a great job something you wish to leave.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM

6,750 posts, read 3,365,850 times
I think it's entirely normal to look back at your life when you get older, but it might be more important to evaluate how you think of your life now. The past is past. You have the future. If you're happy with where you're at and where you're going then dreams are just dreams.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:50 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I think it's entirely normal to look back at your life when you get older, but it might be more important to evaluate how you think of your life now. The past is past. You have the future. If you're happy with where you're at and where you're going then dreams are just dreams.
Sometimes you just have to look forward to the fact that you're retired now and not dwell on things you can no longer change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement