Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 03:34 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

I'm not yet at a crossroads yet... but getting closer.

Being the primary caregiver for a parent with Alzheimers and still holding a job where on call 24/7 doesn't leave a lot of extra time.

The part about enjoying the collection is so true... can't really do that when it is scattered in multiple locations with some not having seen daylight for years.

I had really though Washington State would be that place... even dealing with title and registration issues... the one vehicle I have in Washington had some mildew develop inside... makes me rethink as freezing and damp is not a problem for me in California... neither is heat.

If I divested of the vehicles... I would not need to move.

Having a proper place would also supplement retirement in that I could buy and sell much more easily...

Whenever I have something for sale... antique car, bull dozer, trailer it is a huge problem to get someone to look at it... most think it could be a set up and others simply are afraid to venture into Oakland...

The guy that bought my CAT Dozer said he was ready to turn around when he got off the freeway... but he had come so far with cash he decided to continue... and was real glad he did.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-23-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 06:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Yes, another consideration in relocation / aging destination (preservation of assets / stuff that rusts or molds) books, guns, tools, cars, art, collectables

western WA is NOT good
Colorado was great
CA is usually great
Texas is terrible (even in central TX)
as I would assume the entire list Gulf States

Central / midwest states with SALT or similar on roads
Coastal...

CASH and downtown Oakland

Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 PM

Not exactly downtown but East Oakland out in the avenues...

I was told by collectors if I was serious about WA I should heat or climate control the storage...

A neighbor retired years ago and has a nice little shop in Olympia... he keeps the wood stove going about 10 months of the year... his sawdust is duty dry... said he has to heat... something I had not considered.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:41 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,725 times
I have a relative, retired + quite a few years, facing a move from a house into a small efficiency apartment. No friends nearby. Relatives will have a hard time moving this place. Plan is to use whatever they need in apartment, store the rest in a storage unit so grandkids can use when they go out on their own. Dumb plan, I think, all their stuff is pretty used.

Feel really bad for them, have no idea how they are going to manage. No $ for moving company either. And, unfortunately, she's attached to all this stuff. I love them, but all I can do without alienating them and losing our friendship is stand by and watch this train wreck.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:22 AM

I find most kids have their own ideas...

Starting out my parents didn't have much... all hand me downs and cinder blocks for with boards for shelves in their apartment...

Kids today around here would just as soon head off to Ikea...

Storage is expensive over time...

Old 09-24-2016, 07:55 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I have a relative, retired + quite a few years, facing a move from a house into a small efficiency apartment. No friends nearby. Relatives will have a hard time moving this place. Plan is to use whatever they need in apartment, store the rest in a storage unit so grandkids can use when they go out on their own. Dumb plan, I think, all their stuff is pretty used.

Feel really bad for them, have no idea how they are going to manage. No $ for moving company either. And, unfortunately, she's attached to all this stuff. I love them, but all I can do without alienating them and losing our friendship is stand by and watch this train wreck.
That is sad.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
We kept stuff in rental unit for years when we thought we would maybe buy a lake/vacation house and use the xtra furniture there and kept other stuff because of sentimental reasons--like the trombone my husband played in high school band...paid a good deal of money because frankly we wouldn't make a rational decision to cut the emotional ties...

Most of that stuff we finally got rid of when we bought new home and moved just few miles to town nxt door. We used 1-800-junk or something like that to clean out our attic at home we moved from and the storage shed and moved very few items (including the trombone) to the new house...
Of course the trombone is now in upstairs closet, ignored...

We have lots of "stuff", including yrs of business related paperwork from my husband's S-Corp that he periodically goes thru and purges...but not as much as he could/should. He has a fitness bike in the garage he bought several yrs ago and has ridden less than 30 times I imagine...and wood-working tools used less than that. He has problem w/imagining he will enjoy a hobby/interest, buying equipment, and then gets frustrated or loses interest a short time into the project... Great in many other ways...

Our two children are both middle aged and really have no desire for some of the items we still hold for them...from all the family photos to my daughter's softball varsity high school jacket and my son's electric guitar bought at 15 or so...

I hate garage sales though I guess we could make some money if we went through and culled most of what we don't use...
But that is just SO boring...even if we gave lot of what is useable to charities...
Plus we have second home in FL and spend half our time there probably now husband is fully retired. That house was bought 4 yrs ago and while some furniture like couch/chairs/mattresses were bought new, we also got lot of pieces from Craig's List and 2nd hand/consignment stores... Moved no furniture from our full-time one...not even any keepsake items except Xmas ornaments...

We are in late 60s, decent health, and really should downsize our main house to something smaller since we are gone so much and have so much space we don't use here... It has 4 beds and 4.5 baths...everything we need/use is on ground floor xcept for upstairs game room husband uses to watch tv at times and play his Xbox... But the extra room we anticipated using for visitors really never gets used now...
The hassle of having to prep/purge to get ready to show/sell/move is just an inertia we aren't motivated to fight. Likely had opportunity to sell house at small loss this past Xmas but while we know we likely bought at top dollar in 08 we think house is worth that and more...
Neighborhood comps make pricing difficult for several reasons though...and realtors' fees are always the real bite...even if you know your realtor did good job for your interests...
The offer at Xmas didn't involve "our" realtor since we were approached by buyer's realtor to sell...so not a "market" offer to use...

Anyway...
How do you get over this inertia to commit and follow through?
That is our real problem...
We can't make our minds up and agree on what is best option since we are now more aware of how decisions and future possibilities don't always work out the way you envision...

Old 09-24-2016, 10:15 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I always recommend companies like Junk Bee Gone and Got Junk (different names, do the same type of thing). Got Junk told me (9 and a half years ago) they do sheds, yards and basements, too.

You will be surprised to find out a lot of things you can't lift or carry down stairs to throw out at the curb or dump were probably delivered to your door. I had "a graveyard" of deceased computers, monitors, printers, scanners that were originally delivered to my door that I would have had to carry down a flight of stairs to get rid of them, if I did it myself which I couldn't do. I put the clothes/shoes I wanted to get rid of in trash bags but they told me I didn't have to, they would have cleaned out the drawers and closets after I removed what I wanted to keep. They took out furniture and appliances and pots and pans and dishes. You pay based on how much of the truck you fill.

I think they were the second most important people in my two moves (one to another state, one from a 2nd floor to a first floor apartment).

Old 09-24-2016, 10:56 AM

Some of my friends didn't worry about it...

One of my friends lost his wife two years ago and a year later passed away from a heart attack out in his shop...

Thing is he as an accountant and loved to work on things for a hobby... he passed at age 86...

His kids said everything was so organized... even had receipt folders filed for all his woodworking tools, cars, etc... passwords, bank and investment accounts.

So they had a 3200 square foot home, several cars, a 2,000 square foot shop on 2 acres...

Everything was paid for and about as no clutter as I have ever seen... no closet bursting at the seems or searching for important items...

His wife had a family heirloom folder with pictures and descriptions...

They had written a note to their 3 daughters and in it is said what ever they think best... with no strings...

Dad even had a note saying a friend had offered to buy his shop tool and for how much and a contact number...

I can only hope to be so organized!!!

PS... the will said they had nothing hidden away... I mention this because a widower was in the news because he had stashed bonds and cash in his old freezer no one knew when they had it hauled away... only came about when a note was found in the family bible after the fact.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:16 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We kept stuff in rental unit for years when we thought we would maybe buy a lake/vacation house and use the xtra furniture there and kept other stuff because of sentimental reasons--like the trombone my husband played in high school band...paid a good deal of money because frankly we wouldn't make a rational decision to cut the emotional ties...

Most of that stuff we finally got rid of when we bought new home and moved just few miles to town nxt door. We used 1-800-junk or something like that to clean out our attic at home we moved from and the storage shed and moved very few items (including the trombone) to the new house...
Of course the trombone is now in upstairs closet, ignored...

We have lots of "stuff", including yrs of business related paperwork from my husband's S-Corp that he periodically goes thru and purges...but not as much as he could/should. He has a fitness bike in the garage he bought several yrs ago and has ridden less than 30 times I imagine...and wood-working tools used less than that. He has problem w/imagining he will enjoy a hobby/interest, buying equipment, and then gets frustrated or loses interest a short time into the project... Great in many other ways...

Our two children are both middle aged and really have no desire for some of the items we still hold for them...from all the family photos to my daughter's softball varsity high school jacket and my son's electric guitar bought at 15 or so...

I hate garage sales though I guess we could make some money if we went through and culled most of what we don't use...
But that is just SO boring...even if we gave lot of what is useable to charities...
Plus we have second home in FL and spend half our time there probably now husband is fully retired. That house was bought 4 yrs ago and while some furniture like couch/chairs/mattresses were bought new, we also got lot of pieces from Craig's List and 2nd hand/consignment stores... Moved no furniture from our full-time one...not even any keepsake items except Xmas ornaments...

We are in late 60s, decent health, and really should downsize our main house to something smaller since we are gone so much and have so much space we don't use here... It has 4 beds and 4.5 baths...everything we need/use is on ground floor xcept for upstairs game room husband uses to watch tv at times and play his Xbox... But the extra room we anticipated using for visitors really never gets used now...
The hassle of having to prep/purge to get ready to show/sell/move is just an inertia we aren't motivated to fight. Likely had opportunity to sell house at small loss this past Xmas but while we know we likely bought at top dollar in 08 we think house is worth that and more...
Neighborhood comps make pricing difficult for several reasons though...and realtors' fees are always the real bite...even if you know your realtor did good job for your interests...
The offer at Xmas didn't involve "our" realtor since we were approached by buyer's realtor to sell...so not a "market" offer to use...

Anyway...
How do you get over this inertia to commit and follow through?
That is our real problem...
We can't make our minds up and agree on what is best option since we are now more aware of how decisions and future possibilities don't always work out the way you envision...
You get the motivation from reading stories like this! At least this is what it does for me. Look around you and see what others are struggling with - people in their 70s or 80s. Is that what you want for yourself in 10 years? Time goes by quickly.

I'm in my 50s and find this topic fascinating. I live with a 70 yr old mini hoarder - like yours - tools purchased with some intent. He has two cars he will work on someday - just taking up space. I've learned not to let it bother me since I figure he will be gone before me and then I can just give it all away! LOL

Knock on wood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement