U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 01:02 PM

9 posts, read 7,845 times

Advertisements

We may use 03/21/2016 as the official date of this application. In order to use 03/21/2016, we must receive the signed application by 09/22/2016 or you may lose Social Security benefits.

I started the application on 03/21 but since then i might change my mind on when i start my benefits. If i dont complete the application by tomorrow will i lose my benefits? Can i complete the application after 9/22?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:05 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,148,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxdama View Post
We may use 03/21/2016 as the official date of this application. In order to use 03/21/2016, we must receive the signed application by 09/22/2016 or you may lose Social Security benefits.

I started the application on 03/21 but since then i might change my mind on when i start my benefits. If i dont complete the application by tomorrow will i lose my benefits? Can i complete the application after 9/22?

that is why I signed up in person.

Too much at stake to not do it face to face in person !

Old 09-21-2016, 01:05 PM

9,409 posts, read 5,202,941 times
You can never lose your benefits. This sounds like a scam.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:08 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You can never lose your benefits. This sounds like a scam.
Yeah. I signed up just about the time the OP did and within about 5 minutes got a confirmation back with my monthly amount and when the first payment would be issued. No other form to send in.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah. I signed up just about the time the OP did and within about 5 minutes got a confirmation back with my monthly amount and when the first payment would be issued. No other form to send in.
in my case im thinking of changing my mind but it doesnt give me the option of going past 02/2017 to start my benefits so i want to wait longer but now im afraid i wont get any benefits.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:25 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,228,937 times
It is possible that what is meant is that if you submit your application by 09/22/2016, the benefit period can be considered to have started on 03/21/2016 and you will be paid benefits from that date. If submitted beyond the 6-month window (09/22/2016), benefits will likely be calculated to begin on that date. In any event, if this is a message from the SS website and not some third party intermediary with a separate agenda, if any benefits are lost, it will almost certainly only be any benefits you might have been due between 03/21/2016 and 09/22/2016, not your all your future benefits. What is likely meant is "some" benefits, not "all" benefits.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:26 PM

5,796 posts, read 2,151,295 times
Quote:

I agree with whomever suggested this as a SCAM!! Why? Because SS does NOT contact you via email..it's always done by snail mail on official documentation..OR by call that always has a PROPER phone number that shows up on your phone. IF it doesn't..Hang up and request proper contact.

In the end..Ii would report this to whatever "Fraud Squad" that's available to you..plus CALL your local SS Office to inquire and advise of this. Also..You cannot be CUT off / nor lose your RIGHT to such benefit..That alone suggests fear factor scammers afoot!! Hope you retained it..so that you can forward it to whomever SS Office suggests..meantime..print it out as a Hard Copy!! Evidence on paper may be asked for too!!

You didn't mention if this was an online only contact..SO, I may be way off..Face to face or at least verbal to verbal ( get name of contacted SS employee too) to get advice. Make an appointment, address ( vet the address as well to locations of SS Offices on Government website too)

I was a victim back about 20 years ago of such a scam..So I am always suspicious of inappropriate venue of contact. Phone ID has made it so much easier these days to spot it!!

Good luck!!

Old 09-21-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I agree with whomever suggested this as a SCAM!! Why? Because SS does NOT contact you via email..it's always done by snail mail on official documentation..OR by call that always has a PROPER phone number that shows up on your phone. IF it doesn't..Hang up and request proper contact.

In the end..Ii would report this to whatever "Fraud Squad" that's available to you..plus CALL your local SS Office to inquire and advise of this. Also..You cannot be CUT off / nor lose your RIGHT to such benefit..That alone suggests fear factor scammers afoot!! Hope you retained it..so that you can forward it to whomever SS Office suggests..meantime..print it out as a Hard Copy!! Evidence on paper may be asked for too!!

You didn't mention if this was an online only contact..SO, I may be way off..Face to face or at least verbal to verbal ( get name of contacted SS employee too) to get advice. Make an appointment, address ( vet the address as well to locations of SS Offices on Government website too)

I was a victim back about 20 years ago of such a scam..So I am always suspicious of inappropriate venue of contact. Phone ID has made it so much easier these days to spot it!!

Good luck!!

its the official website and the message pops up when i save and exit the application.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
It is possible that what is meant is that if you submit your application by 09/22/2016, the benefit period can be considered to have started on 03/21/2016 and you will be paid benefits from that date. If submitted beyond the 6-month window (09/22/2016), benefits will likely be calculated to begin on that date. In any event, if this is a message from the SS website and not some third party intermediary with a separate agenda, if any benefits are lost, it will almost certainly only be any benefits you might have been due between 03/21/2016 and 09/22/2016, not your all your future benefits. What is likely meant is "some" benefits, not "all" benefits.
That makes sense and i hope it just means i might lose some money if i dont begin now since it gives me the option of starting 10/2016 until 01/2017. maybe if i wait till after 9/22 i wont beable to choose 10/2016

Old 09-21-2016, 02:04 PM

5,796 posts, read 2,151,295 times
Quote:
its the official website and the message pops up when i save and exit the application.
Ohhh Good~~ SO I would either go directly to SS Office to sort this out if close by..or CALL them to verify this loss of benefits..Maybe the loss they mentioned was for year 2016 time period??

It's always best policy to get id from whomever you talk with..and face to face ( been there/done that back in 2013) to ask questions you have. Also be sure you have all the proper ID proof..such as Birth Certificate and Marriage Licence if female and collecting your portion of your husbands.. ALL has to be ORIGINAL BTW~~ They will photocopy them and give you back originals... The bureaucracy is a pain..BUT in many ways it weeds out fraudsters..So all worth it in the end!

When it comes to stuff like this or even accessing bank access to your 401K's or other Investments tied to retirement..ALWAYS go to the source..it's the safest way to do these things from my experience.

Again.. Good luck..when it's time for you to access your rightful benefit/s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or