Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:21 AM

106,554 posts, read 108,696,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yeah, it kinda does matter, because if you are an unskilled worker and you live > 1,000 miles from the jobs and you don't have the money to relocate, you're unlikely to get a job there.
The entire point of all our discussions with you is that you allowed yourself to be put in that position.

The effect is what you listed about not having skills ,jobs or money not the cause. You and your bad decisions and poor choices in life along with zero motivation and creatvity put you in that position.

Now is to late, the financial suicide has been already committed

Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
1) Numerous ongoing daytime / weekday medical appointments make scheduling a second job seriously difficult, as I am definitely NOT available for work full time weekdays. A chronic condition necessitates these appointments, I literally cannot shrug them off.

2) No car, which leaves me at the mercy of transit schedules, which are unfriendly toward nighttime and even swing shift employment. (Some years ago I found a great swing shift janitor job at Intel but the buses stopped too early to get me home at the end of the shift.)

Selling items is precisely what I'm trying to do. Things I can do on my own schedule are excellent, as I have many 4-hour blocks of free time that don't fit into employer schedules.
You have spent a lot of time here on City Data Forum in the last five years and 8 months. That is a big investment in your time. For me spending time here at the forums is more of a way to entertain myself. It is a way to waste a lot of time. I know as I have done exactly that. For me I did make $500 for my trouble. I was a former winner here during one of the contests that they had. Still for the time I have put in here at City Data Forum that $500 does not cover much of the time I spent here.

You mention that you have four hour blocks of time that you could use. You have time to do something.

Instead of investing time here at City Data Forum, that pays nothing to be here maybe consider looking into making money online, freelance work, writing, moderating a forum. City Data does not pay its moderators and I should know as I used to be one of them. Many other forums do pay their moderators. A few years ago I looked at work from home jobs and found an amazing opportunity. They wanted me to answer the phones during the evening and weekend hours and I could do it from home. I was thinking, what a cool job that I could do from home. What kept me from doing it was the 10 week training program at their office in Santa Barbara. I was not looking to give up my job just to find an additional revenue stream. I do bring it up because it is the kind of job that would fit someone in your position, and there are many more out there.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:14 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,361 times
I know this is a "me too" comment after reading some of the earlier responses, but I will add yet voice to the chorus. Any article that uses a % of income at the end of your career as a basis for retirement income requirements loses a lot of credibility right out of the gate.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:19 AM

i agree , for many different reasons it is not a good way of figuring .

Old 10-07-2016, 04:00 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Exploiting others ? I didn't know my working 3 jobs at one time to have money to save was exploiting others.

Well if that is exploiting others to you than it is what I is
Shame on you for trying to improve your lifestyle Mathjak. Now if Freemkt does have major health issues, then he needs to come forward and explain..he did say he has "some" issues..otherwise, I continue to view him as lazy.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:09 PM

he has a lot of mental issues from what he said .why are we not surprised

Old 10-07-2016, 09:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You have spent a lot of time here on City Data Forum in the last five years and 8 months. That is a big investment in your time. For me spending time here at the forums is more of a way to entertain myself. It is a way to waste a lot of time. I know as I have done exactly that. For me I did make $500 for my trouble. I was a former winner here during one of the contests that they had. Still for the time I have put in here at City Data Forum that $500 does not cover much of the time I spent here.

You mention that you have four hour blocks of time that you could use. You have time to do something.

Instead of investing time here at City Data Forum, that pays nothing to be here maybe consider looking into making money online, freelance work, writing, moderating a forum. City Data does not pay its moderators and I should know as I used to be one of them. Many other forums do pay their moderators. A few years ago I looked at work from home jobs and found an amazing opportunity. They wanted me to answer the phones during the evening and weekend hours and I could do it from home. I was thinking, what a cool job that I could do from home. What kept me from doing it was the 10 week training program at their office in Santa Barbara. I was not looking to give up my job just to find an additional revenue stream. I do bring it up because it is the kind of job that would fit someone in your position, and there are many more out there.

Yeah I found work like that also...since I live in overcrowded houses without landlines, and use prepaid cell phones, how exactly would I make any money answering phones? Prepaid phone minutes are not cheap.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
he has a lot of mental issues from what he said .why are we not surprised
Obviously and any physical ones? It's like if you handed him a million dollar check, he'd reject it because he might hurt his arm reaching for it.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:25 AM

once you are in excuse mode nothing will ever work .we all know people that were doing terrible under similar circumstances and ended up doing well . but others just wallow in their excuses and live a life of impoverishment .

for freemkt it is what it is . these discussions are just foolish with him . he sees everything as he would be fine if only he didn't have to pay so much rent .

many out here would be fine too if they didn't have to spend so much on health insurance .

in fact i bet my wife and i spend more on health insurance than freemkt spends on rent .

there are always things in life where we go if it wasn't for this or that expense i would be doing so much better .

well life is what it is and each of us has to do what we have to so we can meet those expenses , not wish them away in post after post

Old 10-08-2016, 06:03 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Obviously and any physical ones? It's like if you handed him a million dollar check, he'd reject it because he might hurt his arm reaching for it.

??? ??? If you handed me a million dollar check I'd be set because I spend $1200 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.