Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:01 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,943,408 times

Advertisements

Thinking ahead to when we have to start RMD's in a few years and I have a question about when in the calendar year to take them.....

Is it better to take the year's withdrawal early in the year, say January ??

Or to leave it in IRA til December for an additional 12 months of potential growth ??

Or perhaps a quarterly (or even monthly) deposit into our local checking ??

Have other Retirees found that one method is better ?? If you wait til December, you can possibly get some additional growth......but you will get taxed on that withdrawal right away. Taking in January, you have the use of the money all year before the tax bill comes due.

Or does it not really matter ?? Between my Pension and SS, most of our expenses are covered. It would seem that most of the RMD would end up in the Emergency Fund. I may be able to show some amount of 1099 Income, even after age 70 -- Can I stash the RMD in my Roth ?? Up to the amount of 1099, or can I Roth an amount above my total 1099 Income ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 08:22 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,106,727 times
When you start the RMDs during the first required year is less important than what you do now. I screwed up and pulled living expenses from my non-qualified accounts. Now I face relatively large RMDs and a huge tax hit. I would have been much better off, pulling from my qualified accounts and spreading the tax burden over more years.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:30 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,079,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
When you start the RMDs during the first required year is less important than what you do now. I screwed up and pulled living expenses from my non-qualified accounts. Now I face relatively large RMDs and a huge tax hit. I would have been much better off, pulling from my qualified accounts and spreading the tax burden over more years.
Well first don't miss it. It's a 50% fine of the amount you need to take plus taking it and the taxes on that. You should plan to do it even on the year you turn 70 as if it were the mandatory year. That way you're not fumbling. If you miss the first year you just need to ask forgiveness but don't let it happen again. No forgiveness on second offense

Old 09-24-2016, 08:47 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,708,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Well first don't miss it. It's a 50% fine of the amount you need to take plus taking it and the taxes on that. You should plan to do it even on the year you turn 70 as if it were the mandatory year. That way you're not fumbling. If you miss the first year you just need to ask forgiveness but don't let it happen again. No forgiveness on second offense
I missed the first year. Got a letter from the IRS. I called. Was told not a problem just catch up when file this year.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:48 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,002,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Thinking ahead to when we have to start RMD's in a few years and I have a question about when in the calendar year to take them.....

Is it better to take the year's withdrawal early in the year, say January ??

Or to leave it in IRA til December for an additional 12 months of potential growth ??
I don't see how that is relevant at all. If you don't need the money from the RMD, just re-invest it in a non-tax-advantaged account in the same bonds or securities you had it in in your IRA or 401(k). IOW, if you have to sell 500sh of XYZ Corp to raise cash to withdraw your RMD, then just repurchase the same 500sh of XYZ in a regular taxable account. There won't be any loss of growth and you'll just be paying a couple of minor transaction fees.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:50 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,106,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I missed the first year. Got a letter from the IRS. I called. Was told not a problem just catch up when file this year.

Actually there is a problem. You will pay progressive taxes for two years worth of RMDs in one year. At least you escaped the penalty.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I don't see how that is relevant at all. If you don't need the money from the RMD, just re-invest it in a non-tax-advantaged account in the same bonds or securities you had it in in your IRA or 401(k). IOW, if you have to sell 500sh of XYZ Corp to raise cash to withdraw your RMD, then just repurchase the same 500sh of XYZ in a regular taxable account. There won't be any loss of growth and you'll just be paying a couple of minor transaction fees.
Well, yes. The gist of my question was -- is it worth taking the RMD in January and investing in like-kind securities.....or is it better to leave it in the IRA til December ?? A small thing, but mine own.

Secondary Question was.....what's the limit of a Roth contribution ?? Can you contribute more than the 1099 Income in a given year ??

Old 09-24-2016, 09:57 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,079,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Well, yes. The gist of my question was -- is it worth taking the RMD in January and investing in like-kind securities.....or is it better to leave it in the IRA til December ??

Secondary Question was.....what's the limit of a Roth contribution ?? Can you contribute more than the 1099 Income in a given year ??
No you are allowed only 5500 per year. You can't use a conversion of IRA/401k in your RMD either.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:43 AM

610 posts, read 532,454 times
An RMD must be taken in the year of death. If the deceased hasn't taken it, the heirs must, or else pay the penalty. This is often overlooked, so I understand that some people do "death planning" by receiving their RMD in January of each year.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:25 AM

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards a January Payout. Not specifically for the "death planning" aspect, but just to account for RMD early in the tax year rather than later.

I'm thinking Fidelity may offer a Quarterly or even Monthly disbursement into our local checking account. Would still like to stash some of that into my Roth, for continued Tax Free Growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement