U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 03:49 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,819,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

He said he's noticed over the years that younger people these days just don't respect older people or pay attention to them like they used to. I've noticed that when I go out, it's very rare to see a person younger than me helping someone elderly who appears to be in need. It sometimes seems like the elderly are just plain ignored.

Do you agree with him that younger adults just don't pay attention to or respect older people like they used to?
I think he has an entitlement mentality. A younger person, generally speaking, has no obligation towards the elderly. I personally get tired of people who are in their 60s demanding that I give up my seat for them (I am 50 years old, btw). Or asking me to lift or move something for them. I have a bad back. I probably spend thousands of dollars on chiropractic care over the course of a year. I'm not risking an injury. If they want that box moved, they can move it themselves or pay someone to do it. I really do not care. This older lady on an airplane snapped her fingers at me and wanted me to lift her luggage out of the overhead storage bin during the flight. I just looked at her and went back to my seat. I don't put up with that demanding crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 04:03 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Some seniors have figured out how to counter that lack of "visibility". They just drive on the wrong side of the road, thus getting plenty of attention - honking horns, flashing lights, middle fingers, shouted epithets, etc.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:24 PM

154 posts, read 99,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I think he has an entitlement mentality. A younger person, generally speaking, has no obligation towards the elderly. I personally get tired of people who are in their 60s demanding that I give up my seat for them (I am 50 years old, btw). Or asking me to lift or move something for them. I have a bad back. I probably spend thousands of dollars on chiropractic care over the course of a year. I'm not risking an injury. If they want that box moved, they can move it themselves or pay someone to do it. I really do not care. This older lady on an airplane snapped her fingers at me and wanted me to lift her luggage out of the overhead storage bin during the flight. I just looked at her and went back to my seat. I don't put up with that demanding crap.
I hate the entitlement mentality and react badly to it just on principle. I won't wear it on my sleeve, though. Had an "older lady" ask me to get something for her from a shelf at the grocery store a couple weeks ago. As a point of reference, I'm 60 and would have guessed this lady to have been maybe in her 70's (I'd make a poor carnival age-guesser). I was happy to help her, and her verbal gratitude made my day.

I would have probably reacted the same to someone snapping their fingers. But sometimes, it's just someone who needs a little help.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:19 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The day I lose interest in current rock / alternative music, take me out to the back 40 and shoot me.

I like new music, too. I listen to the Spectrum on XM because they play a mix of classic and new.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
That's pretty rude no matter how old you are.

I was seated next to an older woman, about 70, at a backyard barbecue wedding. It was a buffet, and all the drinks were on the deck. You got your own. The caterer had someone cleaning up the tables after dinner and this woman looked at the kid cleaning ours and said, "a bottle of cold water, please". She had a heavy Greek accent and I knew he didn't understand her because he smiled and said, "Thank you" and walked away, lol. I was amused that she thought he was there to wait on her.

So a few minutes later when I got up to get more wine, I asked her if she needed anything to drink and she said she would like a bottle of water so I got it for her.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM

I did get a little annoyed when every time I said I'm going to X place to pick up lunch and my coworker, who is in her 20s, would ask me to pick up this and that and the other thing for her. I mean, for one thing, I was new there, and I don't work for her or even with her--we just share a room. For another, I would not have asked a woman 30 years older to be my errand girl when I was in my 20s.

I solved it by no longer saying where I am going. I just get up and walk out. She and some of the other women her age sometimes order food to be delivered. They've never asked if I want to order anything.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:40 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
I don't think he's entitled - just a bit depressed by it all.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 PM

255 posts, read 132,427 times
I wonder if this would work here in the USA:

Dutch nursing home offers rent-free housing to students | PBS NewsHour

Old 09-28-2016, 06:48 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,193,334 times
While growing up, I treated those of the Greatest Generation, the same way I am now being treated. One thing I've strived to do is, to get them to tell me what they see in their world, what makes them tick, how they view the situations they face that I never had to face. This can break down barriers, if youth will speak with me.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:18 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,521,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2bfree View Post
While growing up, I treated those of the Greatest Generation, the same way I am now being treated. One thing I've strived to do is, to get them to tell me what they see in their world, what makes them tick, how they view the situations they face that I never had to face. This can break down barriers, if youth will speak with me.
From the time I was a teenager, I was interested in stories of people who lived during the Depression, the Great World Wars, lived on a farm and grew and/or hunted for almost all of their own food, were taught in an one room school house, were the first women to work outside the home, etc. Unfortunately I never interacted much with those older than the Greatest Generation as most of those family members lived in other states or died early (e.g., 50s or 60s). I found their commonsense attitudes and ability to endure hardships without being a psychological mess or feeling sorry for themselves to be refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or