U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Very interesting and it would also give young folks a fresh perspective.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 04:38 AM

12,677 posts, read 14,059,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
....Do you agree with him that younger adults just don't pay attention to or respect older people like they used to?
For the record, I am just shy of 79.

My answer, sure I agree with him. No question about it. (I am presuming that this "respect" referred to is more profound than simply helping the elderly cross the street, etc.)

But American (and some other societies too) have changed so enormously over the past eighty years that I find it unremarkable at this point. Despite nostalgic lip service to past values, society stresses the whims and wills of the isolated individual filled with desperate needs to be satisfied. It is what makes the economic world go round faster and faster, and that is what is most important to the society.

In many ways (not all certainly) it is the world of David Riesman's The Lonely Crowd having achieved major development.

However, as money makes this world go round, older people are dealt with in variety of commercial ways that have replaced those human relationships of decades gone by....nursing homes, senior centers, advertising directed specifically toward their age-condition, etc.............not that this means that older people get listened to by younger adults, but they are relocated into a useful commercial niche and get an obligatory PC nod.

Is it a problem?........hmmmmm. For the OP's barber, it may feel that way. For myself it is simply the way the present-day society works, it is a single change among hundreds...thousands in my lifetime. The end result of which is a society totally transformed from that of a half century ago. For myself it is one of the least bothersome changes of all...in fact, it doesn't figure in my ruminations.

The question strikes me as akin to the occasional threads on using spanking and other forms of physical discipline on children. Pointless. Such forms of discipline are anathema today, though normal in my childhood. But what is the point in lamenting their absence even if one thinks they were effective?

Bottom line: IT IS OVER, folks.

Respecting older adults in any ongoing, meaningful way or the physical discipline of young children or the superiority of the stay-at-home-mother, (and many other things) are threads in a social fabric long discarded. The society in which these things were integral is quite defunct. To lament them is to lament passenger pigeons and dodos.

If you are an older person who wants to be respected now get on one of Simon Cowell's shows and sing "There'll Be a Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight" or sit between Oprah and Dr. Oz for fifteen minutes. The barber has fared differently, he seems to have found the personal respect of the OP - a minuscule audience, of course - but one that probably had a reflection of the quality whose passing in society he was regretting.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Very interesting and it would also give young folks a fresh perspective.
Seems to me that I have read a couple of articles about a senior residence in a big U.S. city that also has brought in college age residents....D.C., perhaps. Can't remember. Will try to find it if no one else posts on it.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:17 AM

34,667 posts, read 33,667,394 times
Quote:
Do you agree with him that younger adults just don't pay attention to or respect older people like they used to?
Too many younger people were raised by mothers only so it could be the barber just feeling it as a man.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:21 AM

24,771 posts, read 6,161,507 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UNLwan8K-A

Old 09-29-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Seems to me that I have read a couple of articles about a senior residence in a big U.S. city that also has brought in college age residents....D.C., perhaps. Can't remember. Will try to find it if no one else posts on it.
This is the link...the city is Cleveland

College Students are Living Rent-Free in a Cleveland Retirement Home | Innovation | Smithsonian

Old 09-29-2016, 08:17 AM

1,083 posts, read 488,343 times
Great post, kevxu.

I've noticed many older people also refuse help even if you offer it - seems to be a pride thing. Thus, I generally don't offer to assist unless they really appear to be struggling with something.

We all just want attention, agree that this is no different than the old/young dynamic of previous generations.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:42 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,753,854 times
When did young people pay attention to old folks? Aside form my immediate family, I never paid attention to old folks when I was young. Throughout my life, I've typically spent the most time with people around my own age. When I was 15 what did I have in common with an 85 year old and vice versa? What does a 40 year old have in common with someone who's 92 and vice versa? It's really a 2 way street.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:43 AM

24,771 posts, read 6,161,507 times
I look at it this way. I didn't pay much attention to old people when I was young....... why should I think they should now pay attention to me?

I used to look at old people like my Grandmother as quite boring and uninteresting. When I had to live with her for a while when I was 14, I didn't change my opinion. I sure wish now I had asked her more questions, but at the time I had more important things to do, or so I thought.

The world belongs to the young. Let them enjoy it, and live in it. I've had my time, and now it's their turn. My job is to try and not get in their way too much...............

Old 09-29-2016, 08:57 AM

3,687 posts, read 1,863,297 times
This does not bother me in the least. At a certain age, we all become irrelevant. I prefer to be an invisible observer, always have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or