U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:07 AM

24,774 posts, read 6,163,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
This does not bother me in the least. At a certain age, we all become irrelevant. I prefer to be an invisible observer, always have.
I am told we become invisible when we get older. My wife says she has sometimes been ignored at a shop counter, and the assistant attends to someone else....... "hey, it's my turn" my wife will say. We English get very upset at this kind of thing....... we stand in line, but woe betide anyone queue jumping!....... The server says, "sorry...... I didn't see you there." Mebbe she's shrinking a little........

As I said before, I try and not get in the way of the young. That means we try and avoid driving in rush hour, and don't go in the bank at lunchtime. I well remember complaining to my wife decades ago, about old people, going to the bank at lunchtime. "They have all day, and I get half an hour for lunch. Why don't they do such things earlier, or later in the day?" Well, now it's my turn, and I try and avoid holding working people up. They're right, I have all the time in the world, and they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:39 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,321,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
As I recall, we didn't particularly notice or like old people when I was young, either. I was taught to offer my seat and open doors for any person who seemed particularly decrepit, so maybe that isn't being taught universally any more.

To younger people, old people are a different species. They look strange, wear odd clothing, complain a lot, and always seem to be disappointed about something. And it goes both ways - they act like young people are a different species, too. When's the last time someone over 60 got into a real, seeking conversation with a teenager about modern pop music, without managing to convey that they think that music is way inferior to what they listened to in the 1960's? Or indicated a genuine interest in, and understanding of, computer games? I believe it falls to the older, more mature, presumably wiser person to seek common ground, since that person has more experience in doing so.

Had to laugh at this. I am well over 60 and I play computer games with a lot of younger people, very much younger - though I honestly cannot say it is because I feel I must reach out to teenagers, etc. We just live in the same world and as long as they respect others in general, we get along just fine. In fact I was around and working with computers and playing games on them long before the inception of the public internet - and long before many of these kids were alive. You may want to change that line - to perhaps read 'old people well over 90 years young' because many who I gather you would call 'old' at 60 are out online playing games .. although I taught my father (who died at 95) how to use a computer for many things (but, I agree .. he never really 'got' the gaming stuff).

Last edited by Aery11; 09-29-2016 at 10:15 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 09:47 AM

4,144 posts, read 1,886,778 times
I slap my son around to there and back again when he gets out of line.
He's 31.

He'd better shape up. He's going to inherit. (maybe)

Old 09-29-2016, 10:45 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,820,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I am told we become invisible when we get older. My wife says she has sometimes been ignored at a shop counter, and the assistant attends to someone else.......

This happens to me all the time. Sometimes, it's a case of the counter clerk being biased towards someone else. Other times, they just aren't paying attention to who is next in line.

I once went to Cheesecake factory to order something to go. The counter clerk started working on my order, but then a distinguished looking man wearing a business suit came in, and the clerk dropped what he was doing with my order, to take this man's order, then proceeded to fill his order and make sure he had everything he needed before getting back to working on my order.

Worst problems I've had have been banks. I used to look very young for my age, so when I walked into my bank, I was disrespected repeatedly by the people who worked there. One time I walked into my bank to see if they could change a big bill that I had. The bank clerk looked at me and said "we don't help people who don't have accounts here. Go away". I told her I DID have an account at their bank, in fact I had three accounts (checking, savings and IRA). These kinds of problems were so bad that eventually had to talk to a branch manager about it.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:53 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,808,340 times
"These days??????" When did they ever? 45 years ago when I was young, I didn't pay much attention to 70 year olds. My parents were younger than that!

Old 09-29-2016, 03:52 PM

13,884 posts, read 25,306,858 times
Every generation says this.

I feel sort of invisible since I have gotten old. My cloak of invisibility has yet to let me walk into bank vaults or anything like that but maybe I don't know how to use all it's powers yet. I'll keep you posted!

I have had a life long love affair with the elderly. I got one of my first jobs as a caregiver when I was only 14. I worked at a nursing home run by Franciscan Nuns. I lied about my age to get the job. I met some amazing people and I loved spending time talking to them. Today, just like back then, the elderly are an underused resource.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:41 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
This does not bother me in the least. At a certain age, we all become irrelevant. I prefer to be an invisible observer, always have.
I could not disagree more that "At a certain age, we all become irrelevant."

Old 09-29-2016, 04:45 PM

711 posts, read 262,029 times
What a a load of nonsense. I bet every generation says this. I respect old people. I wish my grandparents were still alive too.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:50 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,101,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I could not disagree more that "At a certain age, we all become irrelevant."
Reminds me of the "old" song, Old and in the Way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYETHsxAv8c

Peter Rowan - guitar and vocals
Jerry Garcia - banjo and vocals
David Grisman - mandolin and vocals
John Kahn - bass
Vassar Clements - viola

Lyrics and Music by David Grisman:

Chorus
Old and in the way, that's what I heard them say
They used to heed the words he said, but that was yesterday
Gold will turn to gray and youth will fade away
They'll never care about you, call you old and in the way

Once I hear tell, he was happy
He had his share of friends and good times
Now, those friends have all passed on
He don't have a place called home
Looking back to a better day, feeling old and in the way

[Chorus]

When just a boy, he left his home
Thought he'd have the world on a string
Now the years have come and gone
Through the streets he walks alone
Like the old dog gone astray, he's just old and in the way

[Chorus]
[Chorus]

Old 09-29-2016, 06:02 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,777,659 times
AUTHOR Socrates (469399 B.C.) The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or