U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 04:01 PM

6,574 posts, read 1,352,342 times

Advertisements

Almost all the old people I knew when I was younger I either didn't like or they bored me because they talked too much about their health and/or about trivial things, and I still feel that way now at age 63. I would much rather be around someone 25 years younger than I am than someone 25 years older.

Maybe I have been unlucky or just narrow-minded about the elderly, but if I have always felt that way, then why would I expect young people to like or respect or pay attention to me just because I am now "old"? (The quotes are because I honestly don't feel old and I don't think that I act like I'm old, either.)

Anyway, my opinion is that in THIS respect, times have not really changed very much, as I think that most young people would rather be around other young people than old fogies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 04:56 PM

1,076 posts, read 646,372 times
I notice it at work. When i am new to a company I am eager to learn everything: these younger people seem so intoverted and uninterested and uninteresting to talk to. They rarely add value to anything and all arrows revolve around talking about themselves but really empty facts. Even when we are all letting our hair down they seem dumbfounded at how to add to anything.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:13 PM

3,686 posts, read 5,848,406 times
I've always lived by myself (by preference), so now that I am old and gray (76) I don't care that younger people don't pay much attention to me.

Just the other day a much younger cousin called me to make sure I was still alive.

To show actual proof that I was indeed alive I made this short video and emailed him the link. Older people here might recognize the apropos Tom Lehrer song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrhI...ature=youtu.be

Old 09-30-2016, 05:21 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
old fogies and geezers are disrespectful terms. disrespectful terminology does not help people get beyond stereotypes of older people.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-30-2016 at 05:32 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 05:22 PM

14,698 posts, read 8,483,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Almost all the old people I knew when I was younger I either didn't like or they bored me because they talked too much about their health and/or about trivial things, and I still feel that way now at age 63. I would much rather be around someone 25 years younger than I am than someone 25 years older.

Maybe I have been unlucky or just narrow-minded about the elderly, but if I have always felt that way, then why would I expect young people to like or respect or pay attention to me just because I am now "old"? (The quotes are because I honestly don't feel old and I don't think that I act like I'm old, either.)

Anyway, my opinion is that in THIS respect, times have not really changed very much, as I think that most young people would rather be around other young people than old fogies.
Then that's their loss and my gain. Or maybe I'm just young and wise

Old 09-30-2016, 07:07 PM

672 posts, read 394,660 times
I am "old" and do not give a flip about young people whose noses are attached to a piece of technology or have no clue about much of anything such as changing a flat tire or knowing what tax bracket they are in. Their ignorance is boundless. Watch some videos where they are asked who the Vice President is or something related to communism.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:55 PM

895 posts, read 542,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
These were my barber's words yesterday.

Do you agree with him that younger adults just don't pay attention to or respect older people like they used to?
Yes I do. I was just thinking about this today. I went to luch with a friend today, she's 82 and looks so good for her age. I was so taken back by the Hostess who seated us. Never smiled - was non-verbal and young. We were trying to chat with her and nothing...I see this a lot.

I always respected my elders. I still do. Parents (not all) just do not teach their kids that Older folks should be respected and tapped into for their wisdom. We have so much to offer these kids but they are not interested. Sad!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:02 PM

895 posts, read 542,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

How sad - I am 63 yrs old and certainly not in a coffin yet but I am not 25 yrs old either. Most of my friends are between the ages of 60 to 82 yrs of age. My daughter and I do not see eye to eye on many things. I guess I am "old school" where you did treat older individuals with respect and just think of all the wisdom.

I had a client ( now deceased) who was good friends with Neil Armstrong - Astronaut. I did some work for the two of them and learned so much from the "Greatest Generation" - WWII.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:22 AM

6,310 posts, read 5,053,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
I am "old" and do not give a flip about young people whose noses are attached to a piece of technology or have no clue about much of anything such as changing a flat tire or knowing what tax bracket they are in. Their ignorance is boundless. Watch some videos where they are asked who the Vice President is or something related to communism.
But don't you think that there are things they know, that you and I as older folks have no clue about?

Old 10-01-2016, 10:38 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,643,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I went to luch with a friend today, she's 82 and looks so good for her age. I was so taken back by the Hostess who seated us. Never smiled - was non-verbal and young. We were trying to chat with her and nothing...I see this a lot.
Meh... I see this as a bad hostess, not a great hostess who is social with everyone except me and my elderly friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or