Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

These were my barber's words yesterday.

I've been going to the same barbershop for at least five years now. I had a bad haircut at the most popular barber in town, tried several new barbers, and liked these guys the best. The oldest is now 89 (turns 90 in October), the other two were in their late 70s (he passed away last year), and the youngest is almost 70.

I've gotten to know them all pretty well over the years, and asked the oldest one (who I probably know best) if he'd like to meet for lunch when I got my hair cut yesterday morning.

We met for lunch and we talked about the town, baseball, and politics. He was overjoyed that someone took him out to lunch - his one grandson now lives in Arizona and he says his granddaughters and some of his kids act like he doesn't exist anymore. He's in good shape for his age and he doesn't need any assistance, but I'm sure is probably slower and it's harder to get around than it used to be.

He said he's noticed over the years that younger people these days just don't respect older people or pay attention to them like they used to. I've noticed that when I go out, it's very rare to see a person younger than me helping someone elderly who appears to be in need. It sometimes seems like the elderly are just plain ignored.

Do you agree with him that younger adults just don't pay attention to or respect older people like they used to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 AM

496 posts, read 552,743 times
As I recall, we didn't particularly notice or like old people when I was young, either. I was taught to offer my seat and open doors for any person who seemed particularly decrepit, so maybe that isn't being taught universally any more.

To younger people, old people are a different species. They look strange, wear odd clothing, complain a lot, and always seem to be disappointed about something. And it goes both ways - they act like young people are a different species, too. When's the last time someone over 60 got into a real, seeking conversation with a teenager about modern pop music, without managing to convey that they think that music is way inferior to what they listened to in the 1960's? Or indicated a genuine interest in, and understanding of, computer games? I believe it falls to the older, more mature, presumably wiser person to seek common ground, since that person has more experience in doing so.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
As I recall, we didn't particularly notice or like old people when I was young, either. I was taught to offer my seat and open doors for any person who seemed particularly decrepit, so maybe that isn't being taught universally any more.

To younger people, old people are a different species. They look strange, wear odd clothing, complain a lot, and always seem to be disappointed about something. And it goes both ways - they act like young people are a different species, too. When's the last time someone over 60 got into a real, seeking conversation with a teenager about modern pop music, without managing to convey that they think that music is way inferior to what they listened to in the 1960's? Or indicated a genuine interest in, and understanding of, computer games? I believe it falls to the older, more mature, presumably wiser person to seek common ground, since that person has more experience in doing so.
Agree - goes both ways and the older person is supposed to be more mature.

I hope as I get older that I don't feel like I am ignored. I want to be able to say that I don't care if I am or not noticed.

Look at the famous/important old people. They just trot them out on special occasions. No harm in letting others take the spotlight.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Personally, I could not care less. This has been a topic many times before. Do a search OP and you will find them.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:28 AM

2,018 posts, read 3,191,211 times
I'm almost 60. When I was a kid I heard a lot of this same old talk.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:40 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Growing up, my grandmother lived next door and this was not unusual for families in my neighborhood. As a child, I interacted with older people all the time (not just older family members).

I blame the age-segregated communities that are now popular...senior housing.

I am a senior (63 y/o) and have no desire to disconnect and live in either a 55+ community or other senior housing. I enjoy a diversified community of all ages, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.

This way I can interact with all ages, not just other 'old' people. I talk to (and get advice from) teens about smart phones, social media usage, etc. Young families on our street have asked us about finances (ie. how we managed to retire at ages 50 and 51).

We live in a walkable area, talk to neighbors daily as we walk to shop, bank, post office. It is far healthier for oldsters to walk, talk and interact with everyone and the best way to do that is not isolate themselves. We can all learn from each other, and that includes other age groups.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:43 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
I would agree, but every generation has said this- and it's probably always been true!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:35 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
That's ok, I don't pay much attention to young people!!!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:36 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The oldest is now 89 (turns 90 in October), the other two were in their late 70s (he passed away last year), and the youngest is almost 70.
Can't expect young people to even notice you when you surround yourself with only old people....

What do you do to involve yourself with those younger than you?

Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I am fine with it. Let them underestimate me. I will use that to my advantage.

I am the oldest person at my workplace by more than 20 years save for the owner, who is probably 12 to 15 years younger than I am and completely ignores me. It's working in my favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement