U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 6,916 times

Advertisements

Question

I am turning 65 in a month and would like to start collecting my social security monthly benefit payments. They are not very much, around $850 or $900 a month, but I figured I might as well collect them. I have received regular statements from social security every year or so confirming my eligibility.

My question arises not because I doubt my eligibility, but because I worked in the US as a legal resident (green card) and unfortunately I let my green card expire almost two years as I have been spending 6-9 months living abroad.

So I was wondering how, if at all, will this impact my ability to collect social security benefit payments. My understanding is that while I am still eligible, that the social security office will object to my expired green card and thus implement some sort of withholding (15-20%) from my monthly benefit payments.

I would appreciate if someone could comment on what I should expect when going to the social security office and filing for benefits with an expired resident card.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
I am assuming that you are now (legally) a nonresident. If I am correct, then yes, there will be withholding. See this link: https://www.ssa.gov/international/AlienTax.html

Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 AM

Thank you.

Yes, I have been coming and going to and from the USA with a valid visa every time since my green card expired almost two years ago.

So it seems that they will BOTH require my resident card number and that they will realize that the card is expired?

If so, I will look to renew my green card and re-submit social security application.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Just read the follow: "If IRS considers you to be a foreign person for tax purposes (or nonresident alien), SSA is required to withhold a 30 percent flat income tax from 85 percent of your Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability benefits. This results in a withholding of 25.5 percent of your monthly benefit.

You may be exempt from this tax (or subject to a lower rate) by treaty.

Not sure then if I would be tied tothe 25.5% withholding or if I would be exempt under a treaty.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:40 PM

5,227 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Cisco,

Did you use the "Nonresident Alien Tax Screening Tool" available at
https://www.ssa.gov/international/Al...isclaimer.html ?

It will help address the treaty issue.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:19 PM

Thank you!

It seems like the there are only nine countries with a tax treaty and neither France nor Spain are on the list, so it looks like the only way I will be able to avoid the net 25% withholding is by renewing my green card. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or