U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 AM

1,321 posts, read 835,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
it might not be old age if you have always been this way. Some people just are. My roommate loses everything. The part I hate is when he asks if I have seen his XYZ. I didn't even know he had an XYZ. And it doesn't help that he has so much stuff and its just scattered all around.
I agree that some people are more prone to losing things. My youngest brother and my son are prime examples. Both of them have a tendency to just leave an item laying somewhere rather than putting it back where it belongs.

My brother would help with my garden but when I'd go out to the garden after he was gone there were always tools to be picked up and put away. My son would use the scissors and then I couldn't find them for days afterwards; same with the TV remote control Several times I ended up purchasing new remote controls because the controls could not be found!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I agree that some people are more prone to losing things. My youngest brother and my son are prime examples. Both of them have a tendency to just leave an item laying somewhere rather than putting it back where it belongs.

My brother would help with my garden but when I'd go out to the garden after he was gone there were always tools to be picked up and put away. My son would use the scissors and then I couldn't find them for days afterwards; same with the TV remote control Several times I ended up purchasing new remote controls because the controls could not be found!
yes -we just have to focus on the good qualities!

Old 10-02-2016, 09:43 AM

7,682 posts, read 4,719,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
That would be pricey to have three, esp since I need a new script every year. But not a bad idea.
Yep, it costs, that's for sure. But I probably spend 10-12 hours a day using reading glasses. And I can't work without them. I try to be careful but at some point the coating starts to peel off the lenses in the center. (I have a bad habit of hooking them on my shirt, then forgetting and bending over.)

I spent $383.96 at Costco for three pair, so that comes to $127.99 per pair. I get a new prescription every other year, so it's $63.99 per pair per year.

I hear about people mail-ordering glasses. Maybe that would be a more economical alternative.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:50 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,843,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I would need 4.0 reader glasses, which I can't find at stores. So I rely on my two pair of prescription readers, cannot read anything without them. Now I'm down to one pair and a nervous wreck I'm going to lose these. I have good habits with my keys, but terrible habits with the glasses.
Amazon carries a brand of reading glasses called TruVision Readers that go up to 6.0. They are available for 10.95 in 8 colors, or in a four-pack of all black for 23.95.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:29 AM

7,108 posts, read 3,465,006 times
I started taking Omega 3 capsules about 3 months ago (I take one every other day). I take the vegan ones because I don't care for after-taste of fish-oil ones.

After a month, I noticed increased memory function.

YMMV.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:29 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,323,950 times
For me, the first indication that I am stressed out is that I lose my (car) keys. I have several sets and do try to keep them in one place but occasionally I drop them somewhere else when I am bringing large amounts of stuff from my truck into the house .. through one room and then a long hall before I get to the main living area for sorting out the bags. Not sure how or why I do that but I have had to use valet keys to drive for fairly long periods in the past couple of years and even twice had to pay to get several totally new keys programmed. As soon as I go through that hassle and expense (NOT cheap with today's vehicles and I live 70 miles from the dealership which can do that sort of thing anyway) .. I find the old ones (which now are useless because the new key programming does not match the old. The last set I found in the garage behind a bunch of stuff I had set down there a few months prior .. must have slipped out of my hand as I put the bags down.

The second things that I misplace - at least one pair of glasses - the ones I 'need' at that particular moment. I have 3 pairs of prescription glasses ... all for different purposes ... computer, daytime outdoors (transition)/but mostly for night time driving, and sunglasses that I wear almost constantly except in my own house or while driving at night. And I often also go with no glasses - when I am just reading, for instance. Sometimes I 'store' my glasses (one pair at a time) on my head .. other times apparently they are like those dancing toys in the Nutcracker .. and they wander off by themselves I am sure. I didn't do it!

Pretty well anything else I 'misplace' is because I am frazzled when looking for those keys.

At least 2 years ago now I bought a gizmo which supposedly will beep if you ask it to find your keys or whatever the little receivers are attached to (if they are within a certain range - but how I would lose my keys when I am 30 miles from where I drove home to I do not know so short range is I think fine for that purpose) - and I keep unearthing it, looking at it, promising myself to attach at least one to the key ring .. and it is still in its plastic bag. Not sure how I would attach it to my glasses anyway.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:48 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
For me, the first indication that I am stressed out is that I lose my (car) keys. I have several sets and do try to keep them in one place but occasionally I drop them somewhere else when I am bringing large amounts of stuff from my truck into the house .. through one room and then a long hall before I get to the main living area for sorting out the bags. Not sure how or why I do that but I have had to use valet keys to drive for fairly long periods in the past couple of years and even twice had to pay to get several totally new keys programmed. As soon as I go through that hassle and expense (NOT cheap with today's vehicles and I live 70 miles from the dealership which can do that sort of thing anyway) .. I find the old ones (which now are useless because the new key programming does not match the old. The last set I found in the garage behind a bunch of stuff I had set down there a few months prior .. must have slipped out of my hand as I put the bags down.

I make sure the clothes I purchase have pockets just so I can have a place to put my keys. I don't like to throw them in my purse. They go in my pocket as soon as I get out of my car and then to a small glass container I have on my dresser.

You should also now be able to get keys (that will work with your vehicle) made at other places besides the dealer.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:50 AM

673 posts, read 2,029,375 times
DH was driving us back from WalMart, when I realized I'd lost my glasses. We went back to store, and I went to reception desk to ask if anyone had turned them in. She said no, but then said "would they be like those glasses that are hanging on the front of your shirt?"

Even DH hadn't noticed them. Felt like an idiot!

Old 10-02-2016, 12:04 PM

4,676 posts, read 3,248,729 times
Not sure how this will fit into this thread, hopefully you'll send me to where I should be.

It's not a problem of losing "things". I seem to manage OK with always putting keys in same place, I wear glasses all the time and take them off just before bedtime and put them on when I wake up.

I seem to have lost me. I know that sounds weird. But where did the enthusiastic, energetic, happy, positive person I once was go?? I'm noticing more and more how lonely I am and wish I had a significant other that I could do things with, discuss things, have help in making major decisions. I feel like I've been doing that on my own for a very long time and in the past six months or so, I'm just not managing. I'm scared my mind is going. I do at times think of things I want to do but by the time I could be doing them, it's too late in the day. I wander around (in a 1-bedroom apartment!) not knowing what to do next.

I know there are times when I'm not the easiest person to get along with. Though I like to think I'm not the only one on the planet with this problem.

I know.... I'm having a wicked pity party and I need to get off the pot. Suggestions?

I'd like to hear from people who may have had a similar experience or who are currently going though it.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:48 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,704,692 times
I think I would ask my doctor to do some testing to see how bad my problem might get. Handling finances is my main concern. Be sure you have a power of attorney for the person you will have helping you if you need help. Unfortunately I know a few people in my block that have serious memory problems and need help.

My daughter has a problem with her keys and she did get a tracker but I do not know the details. I would get one if the following will not help.

So far I only misplace cell phones in the house and can call it from my house phone. But I did put in key holder next to the entry doors to the house. I hand the car and other keys on the hock when I come into the house. If I forget to do this they are in my pants pocket and when I realize that I go hang them up. I would consider putting an emergency key in your wallet or other places. In my area it seems that we all have one or two neighbors that we give a set of house keys too just in case we get locked out or their is an emergency and someone has to get into the house.

I would put the glasses on a string so that they hang from your neck when you take them off. If that does not work then you need a shirt with a pocket and always put the glasses their. Maybe keep a glass case in that pocket and put it on your night stand when you go to bed. Don't think a tracker would work too well on glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement