U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 06:10 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,598,460 times

Advertisements

How bad is your vision? If my glasses are gone, my vision is so bad I'd immediately notice. Can't imagine losing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 06:12 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
It's getting worse and worse as I age, and particularly bad since retiring (mind space-outs).

In the past few years I've had it with continually losing my prescription eyeglasses. Just lost another pair this week, and memory fails. I was online today on the off chance I could find an electronic tracker for them, and also for my iphone and keys.

I was surprised and happy to find a number of gizmos that not only track things, but people too ... toddlers, kids, elderly who wander off...pets getting lost. (I know, where have I been?)

Has anyone got any of these and what do you recommend? (I don't want to pay a monthly GPS fee)

One reason I got glasses with transition lenses is because I do NOT want to be saddled with two pairs of glasses to keep track of. I never misplace them because, except when I'm asleep, they are always on my face. So far I've been real lucky with keys too although I do think I should get a spare made for my car. I understand they are expensive but I think I'd rather have it than be stuck without one. House keys...I don't EVER have to worry about spare keys for this place! You wouldn't believe how many keys I have, for every door on the place. Probably five full sets. One set of 8 keys are on my keychain, and those are just the ones for the locks on the front and back doors. Two doors, four different locks. The rest are in a zip lock in my kitchen 'junk drawer'.

The other day I 'lost' a pair of socks. I was going to take them into the bathroom when I took my shower and they just disappeared! I looked everywhere I'd been and nada. Next day I was making the bed and there they were in my bed, under the covers. How they got there, I have no idea, but they were still even folded up nicely. lol Okay, that wasn't a 'memory problem' but it sure was weird.

I DO sometimes have a problem remembering where I parked when I go to Walmart. From bad/embarrassing experience I learned to note the row number so I wouldn't do that.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I started taking Omega 3 capsules about 3 months ago (I take one every other day). I take the vegan ones because I don't care for after-taste of fish-oil ones.

After a month, I noticed increased memory function.

YMMV.

My dad told me that once when he was going on and on about something he was taking that had really helped his memory. I asked him what it was and after a bit he said...quite seriously..."Hmmmm, I don't remember!". I laughed then and I still laugh when I think about that.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've tried to go purseless, but just can't! I have toned it down to smaller lighter shoulder bags. I used to carry large leather monstrosities! All gone now.

What is strange is that before the big leather monstrosities, I used the smallest type purses I could find. That was the days before cells phones though. I'm not comfortable with carrying my phone just in a pocket.

I've been mostly purseless for a long time now. For work I carry one of those smaller plastic makeup travel bags for all my 'stuff'...pens, first aid things, Tylenol, small nail scissors, and other 'necessaries'. We aren't allowed to have purses with us during the day but my 'bag' is no problem. We all have them.

I have two purses. One I use on my days off when I run errands and stuff. The other is bigger and is used when I'm going somewhere out of town. I carry more 'stuff' then. lol

Old 10-02-2016, 06:25 PM

4,008 posts, read 3,263,936 times
Quote:
It's getting worse and worse as I age, and particularly bad since retiring (mind space-outs).

In the past few years I've had it with continually losing my prescription eyeglasses. Just lost another pair this week, and memory fails. I was online today on the off chance I could find an electronic tracker for them, and also for my iphone and keys.

I was surprised and happy to find a number of gizmos that not only track things, but people too ... toddlers, kids, elderly who wander off...pets getting lost. (I know, where have I been?)

Has anyone got any of these and what do you recommend? (I don't want to pay a monthly GPS fee)
(chuckle): my dad lost his eyeglasses fairly regularly, so kept (at final count) about eight pair around the house and his car.

Last time he visited, before he departed, we had an amusing time of me backtracking where they had to be (back of his Chrysler Pacifica). He chuckled at me, same trip, as I misplaced something too. I don't remember what (case in point). Pops said, "son, get used to it!" I was 43 at the time. Yep, I'm slowly getting used to it, too.

To your point: I do have a utility on my phone that doubles as a virus slayer, backup utility (to the cloud), and finder for my tablet and phone. It geo locates it. The screamer lets off a loud tone when I lose the phone in the house or car. I activate it from my laptop or any other Internet connected device. Unf, to your point, I do pay money for the service annually but it is totally worth it to me, to find my gadgets and if-needed remote wipe them too. The software is called "Lookout" and I'm not shilling for them, I'm sure there are other options.

Keys: I use a system, thus don't lose them:

Car keys are in the respective car, on the dashboard. Period. In my garage. Only alternate location is top drawer in my garage, which is fairly clean so they're easy to spot.

Motorcycle key is electronic. In one of three and only three locations, 24/7: summer jacket, winter jacket, or above mentioned drawer. When I'm riding, that key is buried in a certain pocket...only...of said-jackets and since it's electronic, only comes out to refuel then right back in. Period.

Backup emergency keys are in my safe. I've never needed them, but it isn't impossible.

I carry no house keys, that is obsolete for me and all behind electronics controlled by my phone, which is itself secured by a somewhat elaborate method (not perfect, but about as "secure" as a "lock" itself).

I walk around town with a portable wallet and phone, in a leather case by Saddleback Leather, the "leather pouch" that is hard to lose. It's also a conversation piece and darn good looking for a guy to have. When not, those two items are in my pockets. I do touch checks periodically, sort of unconsciously. Wallet and leather pouch are stored same place at home, in my garage, in plain view. Nowhere else.

Car keys, when out, have a carabiner and clip to the Saddleback case mentioned above. Nowhere else, ever.

Food for thought:

1. Let tech do some of the work
2. If you can't, use a system that is simple as possible yet rigorous.

At some point, the wallet will be obsolete and all docs and cards will be on (our) phones. I would guess that will be more than feasible...keyword being "easy"... in 5 years, but not yet due to the chips they have in credit cards at this time. When that day comes, I'll only carry $20 in cash in my 19th Century money clip (or a paper clip!) and "wallets" will be pointless. I can't wait.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
How bad is your vision? If my glasses are gone, my vision is so bad I'd immediately notice. Can't imagine losing them.

Me too. I broke my glasses and had to either do without or try using reading glasses. I managed to do it but it wasn't a very good experience especially at work on the cash register! Luckily it only took about two days because they put a 'rush' on it for me. Whew.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:09 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,221,259 times
I attached a "Trackr" to my dog's collar but I never had to use it so I can't vouch for its reliability.

One pair of your reading glasses should go on the nightstand (unless you don't read in bed). You place the book or kindle on your night stand when you are finished reading and place the glasses next to them. Turn off the light. Done.

The other pair should probably go in your purse/bag whenever you take them off your face.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 AM

4,348 posts, read 6,062,523 times
We don't lose things but we forget things. We recently sat through last seasons Episode 1 of House of Cards thinking it felt familiar before we realized that we saw it last March.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:56 AM

5,233 posts, read 3,642,696 times
Quote:

Order your prescripton glasses from zenni.com. You can get a decent pair for about $30.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:39 AM

6,840 posts, read 3,875,670 times
I wear trifocals. They go on my night stand at bedtime, and that's the only time I take them off. I even swim with them on!

We kept loosing the cell phone in the house. It's just an old flip phone and I couldn't hear it ring unless it was close by. I finally just gave up and went back to using the landline, with phones in every room of the house. Now we only use the cell when one of us goes out without the other and might need it, but that's not too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement