U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 11:14 AM

450 posts, read 372,994 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have good suggestions on how to ensure the appropriate lawyers, family members are contacted in the event of a sudden death?

We have very young minor children and live far from family members. How would anyone know to contact our local lawyer who set up our living trust? Once he is contacted at least he can reach out to family members particularly those who would take guardianship of the children, since he has all their contact information. However, he had no good recommendation on ensuring he'd be contacted upon our deaths other than maybe carry a business card in our wallets

He said if he happens to read an obituary type of notice in the paper he'll know, but in this day and age who even reads those? When the wife of a friend died locally at a young age, I didn't read or see any articles about her.

The worst case scenario is we both die suddenly in a car accident or similar and in the destruction nobody is going to find this guy's card. How will others know to contact this lawyer regarding assets, guardianship, life insurance policy beneficiaries? I see how police can figure out next of kin, but they wouldn't know about the lawyer. Our closest friends now live out of state, I have considered approaching other good friends here but they're in neighboring cities so may not know about any sudden death all that quickly.

Has anyone dealt with something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 11:17 AM

5,356 posts, read 16,340,513 times
A "In case of death" letter given to family that contains all the info needed would be useful for this.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:58 AM

221 posts, read 190,438 times
Default ICE - In Case of Emergency

Within your cell phone contacts, you can enter the names of first contacts under the heading "ICE," such as "ICE John Smith, Lawyer;" "ICE Mary Jones, executor;" "ICE Dr. Jim Grant." I believe the police are trained to search cell phones for ICE contacts.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:02 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,622,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
I believe the police are trained to search cell phones for ICE contacts.
How do they know the phone's code to access that list?

Old 10-02-2016, 02:53 PM

71,463 posts, read 71,652,652 times
All our kids got a sealed envelope with instructions as to where to find a folder in our house with the wills ,trusts and a list of accounts we have with account numbers .

The first thing the kids said is this is going to be so cool like a treasure hunt

Old 10-02-2016, 05:36 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,338,732 times
I have a 3x5 card in my wallet and another one in the glove box of my car listing people to call in case of emergency. Also have some ICE contacts on my phone. I used to have a card on the refrigerator also; have to make up an updated one for that.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:40 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Within your cell phone contacts, you can enter the names of first contacts under the heading "ICE," such as "ICE John Smith, Lawyer;" "ICE Mary Jones, executor;" "ICE Dr. Jim Grant." I believe the police are trained to search cell phones for ICE contacts.

that is a great suggestion for those who have not done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
the new cell phones. Smart phones understand ICE if it is in your contact list. It will be available even if the phone has a passcode just like 911.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 PM

498 posts, read 364,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
that is a great suggestion for those who have not done that.

the new cell phones. Smart phones understand ICE if it is in your contact list. It will be available even if the phone has a passcode just like 911.
A friend of mine in an EMT and says this is an urban legend and they never go through cell phones. He had to be told what ICE stood for, and he's been an EMT for almost 2 decades in a very large city.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:21 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The Iphone can be set up so your emergency contact and medical information can be accessed without a pass code. I also have a brief medical history on mine including my blood type.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:24 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
A friend of mine in an EMT and says this is an urban legend and they never go through cell phones. He had to be told what ICE stood for, and he's been an EMT for almost 2 decades in a very large city.
I'm pretty sure it was my sister, the practicing R.N., who first told me about the ICE. Umm, no urban legend here, but I do live in Baltimore - the City that Bleeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or