Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 03:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
I'm not new to CD. I am aware of the terms of service.

I absolutely think that many of the posts here will be very, very helpful to people now and in the future. I said nothing at all about other posters.

However, there is something that does not ring true with the OP and I stated that. It's this "Hey, I'm back! I just went on a cruise! I'm back already and all's right with the world!" (Paraphrasing, btw.) In a matter of days. Please read the posts.

So, out of curiosity I read thru the OP's previous posts on other threads and found some pretty telling things. She herself demeaned other people by criticising them for preferring one level homes. She uses off color language which sort of turns me off, there was a post that was sooo crude and crass that it was removed by a MOD.

I am a very active animal lover and advocate and so when people willingly leave behind their pets it says something about them. If there were no choice, I could understand, but in her case she claims she just thought they'd prefer to stay in the old home rather than with their owner (her) whom I'm sure they loved. That is more traumatic than moving to a different location.

She has sworn at me twice and said "F.U." to me privately. These have been reported and removed.

I have received a large number of messages agreeing with me and kudos for my comments and observations on this thread.

So, I just find the OP insincere and offensive and that's my prerogative.

And I'm all for people adopting pets, believe me, but only for the right reason and only if you intend to make a committment to them.

FYI You can choose to block any poster, or simply refrain from interacting on their threads if they offend you.

Back on topic.

OP, please continue to update, I would like to know what you decide to do regarding your location and future. A fellow retiree.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:06 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
What a cold thing to say. Still trying to understand why you would even say it but maybe that's just who you are.
LOL!! Comprehend much?

Old 10-10-2016, 12:28 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Heck, even if you were gay, as long as you weren't expecting that we would hop into bed, it would still have been nice to meet potential new friend.
As a very friendly, outgoing heterosexual woman who is married to a man, I would agree.

I don't care if someone is straight or gay, and I know how to politely turn down advances by women who try to steer conversations or actions in that direction, the same as I do an unwelcome advance by a man. I don't shame anyone for their expressed interest, and let them know its no big deal, no harm done. I would not make a point of avoiding them, just treat them the same as everyone else.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:01 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
I have received a large number of messages agreeing with me and kudos for my comments and observations on this thread.
In 30 years of online forum activity, I have noticed one consistent trait from people who suspect they might be on shaky ground: They always declare they've gotten a lot of private support, since they get virtually none publicly.

Quote:
So, I just find the OP insincere and offensive and that's my prerogative.
You attacked a woman who is grieving and lonely. Not only that, you continue to persist with all the tenacity of a rat terrier.

I find your behavior offensive and uncalled-for. You might consider taking one or two of the most excellent suggestions proffered on this thread and get a life.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:03 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
In 30 years of online forum activity, I have noticed one consistent trait from people who suspect they might be on shaky ground: They always declare they've gotten a lot of private support, since they get virtually none publicly.

Well, I will publicly state that I agree with CuppaTea.

I will also say that others in this thread have as well - so he does have public support.

And I do not know what 'shaky ground' means. He is not obligated to like everyone who posts.

There is something 'off' about the "Hey! I'm back!" post.

I do not, however, care about their political affiliation and I do not care enough to research the OP's post history.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:56 PM

175 posts, read 203,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

You attacked a woman who is grieving and lonely. Not only that, you continue to persist with all the tenacity of a rat terrier.

I find your behavior offensive and uncalled-for. You might consider taking one or two of the most excellent suggestions proffered on this thread and get a life.
That's hilarious! You've spent 30 years of your life in online forums, even here you post constantly, and I should get a life?

Old 10-11-2016, 01:18 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Not to turn this into a thread about online dating for seniors, but ...

The study cited by matisse above found that only a small percentage of senior marriages are the result of online dating.

However, I would venture to say that many more seniors find happy relationships online but are not interested in marriage.

I'm one of them. I've been doing a bit of online dating since my husband passed almost three years ago, and I'm currently seeing someone who -- like me -- is not interested in getting married again at our age. But we are having a wonderful time together.
You beat me to this. For someone past child-rearing age, I'm not certain that marriage makes much sense anyway. Adds a lot of legal complications without bringing much upside, except for Taliban-level religious people.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:39 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
After three failed marriages, I have now been single for over 20 years, 18 of which I have not even dated. Surprisingly, I have just now become interested in possibly dating again, but, as my son once told me, Mom, please don't marry again. You're just not good at it.

I obviously came to that realization myself and stand by that answer, lol.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:30 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You beat me to this. For someone past child-rearing age, I'm not certain that marriage makes much sense anyway. Adds a lot of legal complications without bringing much upside, except for Taliban-level religious people.
I have more than a few friends who would lose pensions if they remarried. For many seniors there is a financial disadvantage to marrying.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
For others there can be financial benefits as with pensions....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement