Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:22 PM

175 posts, read 202,117 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile......the OP is probably laughing her, um, head off whilst fights break out all over the thread.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,647 posts, read 57,711,301 times
OP No longer has time for C-D, too many friends and things to do!

Lesson for all

But... There are others coming years later who have a need, & will read & benefit.

Many of us will then be busy pushing up daisies.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
OP No longer has time for C-D, too many friends and things to do!

Many cabana boys to "have"

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-09-2016 at 07:09 AM..

Old 10-08-2016, 04:03 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,593,800 times
Go and get a cute little puppy.. Since I got my dog I think I know everyone in the neighborhood. Someone is usually outside and they tell you every thing....

Old 10-08-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Go and get a cute little puppy.. Since I got my dog I think I know everyone in the neighborhood. Someone is usually outside and they tell you every thing....
Not the best suggestion. She left her dogs behind when she sold her house. I don't think she should get any more pets, and especially not just as a tool to meet people.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:09 PM

37,762 posts, read 40,870,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
I retired at 52 when my husband was 61 and went on disability.

I knew his days were numbered and we made the best of it. We traveled and did what we wanted to do and he made sure that I would be well enough off that I could stay retired. We had a wonderful time.

When he passed, I moved back home and hoped that I would have a life worth living but it's not working out. My relatives are either scared of their own shadow and don't travel outside of their small town or they work and can't get time off or they only spend time with their children.

I'm lost.

i find myself baking and cooking, only to have the company. This is not how I want to spend the rest of my life.

Did I focus too much on my husband and not look forward to my own future? Do I expect too much from my family? Am I supposed to wait until there are more widows that understand my position and want to take part. I feel like I am rotting away. It's so sad.

Has anyone else found themselves in my position?. Don't tell me to join church or senior groups. Not my thing.

If you have found yourself in my position, how did you break out of it?
Did you do anything on your own before your husband passed?

Although, I'm not married now or a widow, I'm not fond of socializing so the thought of joining something for small talk doesn't appeal to me either. There are 2 things I enjoy doing: reading and photography (including creative photo editing). I do those activities by myself but I belong to a book discussion group (meets once a month) and a camera club. The camera club also meets once a month and has meetings that alternate between programs (guest speaker) and competitions. Once a year we have an annual salon. The point is, those clubs are activity-specific oriented. You seem to tie your baking and cooking to socializing. How about taking cooking and baking classes? How about entering and/or attending cooking/baking competitions? The classes would probably open up those opportunities to you. How about belonging to some type of foodie club that meets once a month? If you don't like it, quit. But, you might learn something, you might discover you enjoy it and at least you won't be isolated.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:18 AM

164 posts, read 173,558 times
It never occurred to me that this thread would generate such a response.

I'm not laughing or too busy for city data, I'm still trying to figure it out. I have good days and bad days.

I'm longing for the warmth of having someone to talk to and hold me in his arms and dance in that little extra space in the dining room while he hummed in my ear. Someone to tell me I left my wet towel on the bathroom floor. Someone to walk behind me in the kitchen and clean up the flour off the floor while I'm baking a cake. Someone to walk the dogs with. To pull the cat's tail when she walks by. Someone to dislike my mother and embrace my daughter.

Do I want to be a greeter at Walmart. No! Do I want to sit alone every day. No. Do I want another great love. Yes. Has anyone found two great loves in their life?

Old 10-09-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm thinking maybe the OP in her comeback post in this thread could possibly be talking about a cruise of which CuppaTea found her post in August which stated that she "had a cabana boy and it was a wonderful thing". So maybe in her comeback post in this thread she was responding to the people who had suggested she take a cruise (in this thread) by coming back and mentioning she had taken a cruise and had met wonderful people.

(only works if the cabana boy was 'had' on a cruise or during one of the stops)

Also she said, in this thread, that she had just come back from a cruise - she could maybe be talking about a cruise she took in recent weeks or months.
Fyi. I don't remember where I posted about the cabana boy but it was many years ago. Long before I met my husband. And I didn't really "have" him. He served me a drink. Please don't take things out of context. Reminds me of NBC.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
Not the best suggestion. She left her dogs behind when she sold her house. I don't think she should get any more pets, and especially not just as a tool to meet people.
I left my dogs because the country was all they knew. I could have brought them to my small town, but they wouldn't have adjusted. I loved them too much to cause them harm. I'll get more pets if I want too.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:31 AM

16,156 posts, read 10,300,213 times
Yeah I'm not going hack 17 pages to find anything "rotten in Denmark". I'm not naive about the internet but I have found nohing in the opening posters posts that are red flags to me. Good luck thenwhatare you, I hope you find the place that makes you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.