U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 06:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,657 posts, read 40,029,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We have discussed doing that a few times.

We own 150 acres of forest with some river frontage, we are not sure what to do with it. I have a good pension, we do not really need any more income.
Forestry is a good business, trees don't shoot you, but they sometimes fall over.

Do you have hardwoods in your forest? You might be able to custom harvest for a high end furniture builder. Our local PNW handmade furniture place has to contract hardwood from back east.

There are 7 campgrounds listed here. Most are $1.5m...RV Park/Campgrounds for Sale in Maine (ME)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 PM

30,704 posts, read 49,495,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Forestry is a good business, trees don't shoot you, but they sometimes fall over.

Do you have hardwoods in your forest? You might be able to custom harvest for a high end furniture builder. Our local PNW handmade furniture place has to contract hardwood from back east.
About a third of my land is in hard woods.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:00 PM

466 posts, read 291,401 times
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I was looking at buying one that was already in operation rather than building one. And maybe my daughter and son in law going in on it with the three of us working it He's sick of being gone all the time for his job and she's not married to her job. You've given me good food for thought!

Old 10-04-2016, 03:30 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,040,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We have discussed doing that a few times.

While doing long distance trips, we have stopped at campgrounds and we have enjoyed our long talks with owners.

We own 150 acres of forest with some river frontage, we are not sure what to do with it. I have a good pension, we do not really need any more income.
Get a hobby. My work is a little different but I deal with the traveling/vacationing public also. I work in a seasonal resort area hotel. While many of our guests are great people the small percentage of "the others" make us yearn for the end of the season. No matter what you do you can not please everyone and the ones not pleased will complain.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:22 AM

23,649 posts, read 17,623,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
A retiree with enough cash to buy a decent campground business might want to just invest the money wisely and live off of the investment.
True. I can't imagine these being easy to run. I'm not sure how profitable they'd be, but easy, absolutely not.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:48 AM

6,312 posts, read 4,757,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
.......I'm not sure how profitable they'd be, but easy, absolutely not.

In my travels I have seen lots and lots and lots of failed campgrounds and small "resorts" and motels. Most of the successful ones seem to be nearby to National Parks and serve as either overflow or provide amenities not available in the parks. I would expect very high costs for purchasing land or an existing campground. Again, the failure rate is high with minimal ROI and lots of headaches and work needed.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:02 AM

30,704 posts, read 49,495,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
A retiree with enough cash to buy a decent campground business might want to just invest the money wisely and live off of the investment.
Before I retired we owned an assortment of apartment complexes which gave us a reasonable return, plus they sheltered all of our income [from all sources] from taxation. When I retired we cashed out, and used the capital to set us up here on the farm.

We are suddenly faced with an inherited portfolio, 'well managed' invested in an assortment of mutual funds. I am appalled at the tiny percentages that the market is paying these days. We can not help but to look at this portfolio and consider how we could easily triple our return, by withdrawing it all from this managed account and buying apartment complexes again. In these days of low-interest rates and low dividends, you can do much better with non-passive activities than you can with passive activities.

The trade-off is the non-passive part. You have to be 'in business', you need to be doing it. Anyone willing to run a campground, stands a good chance of making a good return on investment. But that becomes your lifestyle.

For us, we are drawn toward cashing out these mutuals and buying a half-dozen four-plex apartment buildings. It is something we have a background in, and we are fairly comfortable doing it.

If anyone is interested in owning a campground, and living that lifestyle, I say "Have a ball and go for it"!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:49 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,785,285 times
I would look into finding a job managing a campground before I decided to buy one. I know of one that has been for sale for several years. It's huge - over a 150 sites with hookups, office, store, mini golf, rec center, lake, cabins, showers, trails, bath house, tennis courts, basketball, lodge, playground, etc. It's been on the market for well over a million dollars. same family has owned and run it for about 30 years. Looks like a TON Of work maintaining and improving....certainly not cheap or easy to keep up.

This campground is in a well traveled area.....the Adirondacks. It's open year round so there are no vacations, holidays, or sick days for the owners.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:24 PM

10,484 posts, read 5,944,584 times
Yeah I had this idea too and also figured it was too much hassle, drunks bothering everyone at 1 in the morning has to be an ongoing issue. I have heard owning storage unit businesses is very popular with retirees. It's not seasonal but much easier.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:09 PM

2,249 posts, read 1,472,749 times
There's all sorts of these campgrounds only, campgrounds combined with small motels, etc all over Michigan, and many of them are for sale perpetually.

They are a BUSINESS, and you will work your butt off during the Summer to earn enough money to make it through the entire year. Many people/campers book their spots ahead every year, and those are the kinds of people that are worth keeping, because they take better care of what they think of as "their" campground.

All sorts of prices also. I've seen a few that are less than $200k, (even less, depending on what they offer) including a house for the owner/managers to live in. At that price, you basically finance a mortgage on just the house, and the campground side of it is free and clear/money in the pocket.

So, if you want a "starter campground" to test the waters, Michigan might be the place to make that happen at a price that won't kill you right off the bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement