U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:35 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,739,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I was looking at buying one that was already in operation rather than building one. And maybe my daughter and son in law going in on it with the three of us working it He's sick of being gone all the time for his job and she's not married to her job. You've given me good food for thought!
You should consider looking at a few episodes of Hotel Impossible. Story after story of owners who didn't know what they were doing, threw in with the family, and the entire family winds up hating each other and couples divorced. Please think twice about dragging your daughter and her husband into your retirement "dream". I don't intend to say that in a mean way, just think long & hard about it. So many things to consider for a young couple like health insurance, pregnancies, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:40 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,739,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Many years ago I did several camping trips to Death Valley and met a number of seniors who worked for the Park Service (or the company that had the service contract). They lived in their own RV's in a separate section of the park and worked in the hotel, motel, restaurants, etc. They would do summer in DV and then winter at the Grand Canyon. It's too long ago for me to remember many details but I don't think the work was full time and when they wanted to take a season off and go exploring the country they could.
I would like to bring up on this point that you are talking about Death Valley, not somewhere that everyone wants to go, especially in the summer, and the Grand Canyon in winter, same story.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:23 PM

9,274 posts, read 8,342,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
I've been wondering what I will do with myself once I retire. I mostly want to retire because I am sick of my job, but I realize I should be moving towards something, not just trying to get away.

Does anyone have any experience with buying/running a campground once you retire?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

OMG that is funny!

If you buy a campground you will no longer be retired. You will work 24/7.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:21 PM

3,416 posts, read 5,147,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would like to bring up on this point that you are talking about Death Valley, not somewhere that everyone wants to go, especially in the summer, and the Grand Canyon in winter, same story.
I wrote about Death Valley and the "retired" seniors that I met there and many of them did go to the Grand Canyon but there are many national and state parks and I thought the OP might like explore the concept.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:39 PM

5,284 posts, read 3,039,847 times
You will either be running the campground or retired, but not both.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:02 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,549,238 times
If you're retired and like the idea of being in a campground, be a work camper or volunteer. There's an end to each assignment. Or not if you decide to re-up.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:56 PM

6,870 posts, read 3,889,822 times
I only read to Post 10. But how about just getting a seasonal job at one of the State or National Parks? There are so many located in the most beautiful places!

Old 10-09-2016, 04:26 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,765,544 times
I worked as a campground volunteer at a national park. Once was enough. I actually had a pretty decent schedule and split coverage with other volunteers. I was on 4 days and off for 4 days. When working, I needed to start by 7am and give a morning report before 8am. Most days the campground had a line of campers waiting for a spot first thing in the morning. I needed to keep the census, help new campers find suitable spots and notify HQ when the campground filled, usually by about 1pm. There were always a few disputes and campers who wanted to hold sites for friends who had not arrived. Those who did not get a site wanted find overflow locations and information about camping the next day. That went on until 9 or 10pm. I also had to make sure generators were not in use except for the specified hours. During the course of a day there were plenty of times with not much to do, but overall I probably averaged about 8 hours of work per day and that was spread out over about 14 hours. I was also on call for emergencies 24 hours and could not leave the area or enjoy the park. That was easy compared with actually owning and operating a campground. I did not have to deal with reservations, payments or any business issues. In addition there was a grounds crew and backup by LI rangers.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:37 PM

4,768 posts, read 4,053,422 times
I know a couple who own a KOA by a popular summer destination National Park. It is only open for 3 1/2 months. So they work like crazy & then shutter it until next season. You might consider that type of location/operation.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 PM

466 posts, read 291,741 times
Thanks again for all the feedback. Lots of good suggestions, especially the idea of doing it as a temp job just to get a feel for whether it fits me, personally. I would not consider taking on a campground that was not already running a profit enough to pay my daughter/son in law a living wage. And he's got a job that allows a lot of flexibility and pays their health insurance. Lots of food for thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement