U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:28 AM

2,735 posts, read 722,537 times

Advertisements

The television is turned on only for an hour a day at night, from 8 to 9 (and some days not at all). And never broadcast TV (except for the political debates). The one hour can be a 30 or 60 minute TV show (made for Netflix/Amazon/HBO/PBS) or half of a movie or some TED talks streamed from YouTube onto the computer.

Most television doesn't interest me. Can't understand why every restaurant has it on. But I do love the one hour I carefully select. Just completed Downtown Abbey. Currently watching Transparent. Woody Allen has a new series through Amazon, but it's getting terrible reviews, so will just forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 06:59 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,281,033 times
We DVR everything, and when we think it's time to watch TV, usually once a week, we can fly through those mostly inane commercials. Sometimes we get a "Free view" weekend through our provider, and we find current movies to record. But, as cyberspace has crept into our lives more, and more, we spend a good deal of time on the computer listening to Pandora, and doing different things. My wife puts jigsaw puzzles together on a site she likes, and I like to research things, look at news, and do surveys for rewards. It works for us.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 AM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
We no longer own a TV.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:13 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,313,067 times
I'm always amazed at how so many people are self-righteous about tv watching, having housekeepers, and going out to eat at expensive resturants. I see nothing wrong with doing what you enjoy, and can afford.

We are very physically active, so far in our retirement. We enjoy watching sports, movies, Netflix series and news. Why not?

Old 10-04-2016, 09:21 AM

2,735 posts, read 722,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I'm always amazed at how so many people are self-righteous about tv watching, having housekeepers, and going out to eat at expensive restaurants. I see nothing wrong with doing what you enjoy, and can afford.

We are very physically active, so far in our retirement. We enjoy watching sports, movies, Netflix series and news. Why not?
Not sure who has been self-righteous here. I simply said I have no interest in broadcast TV or watching more than one hour a day. Some people note that they don't even have a TV, but I don't see any judgments made about those who do. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:25 AM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
I just love, love, love reading books, biographies my favorites, and anything historical or non-fiction. Like just having finished reading The Gangs Of New York (was it really non-fiction?????), I like to read a paragraph, imagine, reading another page, imagine, sometimes even a sentence, and imagine, just what it was like living in those hell-holes in the 1800's. Seeing it on film or TV just wouldn't be the same, as someone told me they made a movie of it. I've been disappointed, too many times, having read a book that became a movie, where I have felt cheated.

The times I've promised myself some TV time, I lay down on the couch, and within minutes, I'm fast asleep. Just something about it makes me drousy and sleepy.

I work part time in a Long-Term Care facility, where the TV's are on in the rooms, sometimes, 24 hours, so I do catch flashes of TV watching on the run. For those confined, disabled, with their health compromised, it can be a lifesaver from utter boredom.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:52 AM

18,530 posts, read 1,193,661 times
Since retiring I watch on average 7-9 hrs a week of TV. It is not the main occupier of my time, as I am involved with church activities, hobby, work around the home and gym exercising. I don't consider myself a church potato, even though, prior to my retirement I would watch less than 10 hours of TV a month.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:04 AM

14,378 posts, read 7,918,717 times
The TV is always on but it's usually just back ground noise. If I sit down to watch it I'm usually so exhausted that it just puts me to sleep. I rarely like total quiet these days. When I was working I was on sensory over load because of the noisy environment. Now sometimes total quiet is too boring. I would say that I watch about 5 hours of TV a day now, even though it's on for more hours then that.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:12 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,934,527 times
TV is on all day as long as I'm home. BUT...the laptop is plugged into it. Wireless keyboard and mouse are my "remotes." The only TV I watch is free stuff on the net (and sometimes Judge Judy, off the air of course). I wouldn't drop a nickel for the junk on TV these days. I even avoid any old shows that run on Hulu because of the annoying (and loud) advertisements.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:26 AM

11,933 posts, read 20,383,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just love, love, love reading books, biographies my favorites, and anything historical or non-fiction. Like just having finished reading The Gangs Of New York (was it really non-fiction?????), I like to read a paragraph, imagine, reading another page, imagine, sometimes even a sentence, and imagine, just what it was like living in those hell-holes in the 1800's. Seeing it on film or TV just wouldn't be the same, as someone told me they made a movie of it. I've been disappointed, too many times, having read a book that became a movie, where I have felt cheated.

The times I've promised myself some TV time, I lay down on the couch, and within minutes, I'm fast asleep. Just something about it makes me drousy and sleepy.

I work part time in a Long-Term Care facility, where the TV's are on in the rooms, sometimes, 24 hours, so I do catch flashes of TV watching on the run. For those confined, disabled, with their health compromised, it can be a lifesaver from utter boredom.
I am a reader, too....but for some reason, if the tv isn't on while I am reading, in two pages I'm out like a light. Spent many an afternoon in the hammock outside napping with a good book....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or