Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:29 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,086,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Hi, louiefrias, welcome to the forum, and Nice Pic (ture) !

And....don't mind the Grumpies....lots of nice people here, tooo.:-D)).
Bah humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
And promote his business. I thought that was a violation of CD's terms.
LOL already picking on the new guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Then why does your profile show you to be a real estate agent?
Same question to you. Gee whiz.

BTW louiefrias welcome to the forum. We old grumpy people don't do anything but grumble and complain. We badger each other and the choices we made, are making, or even will make. None of us get any sleep because of it either.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:44 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,314,747 times
Just don't visit his homepage. He's trying to sell us retirement advice.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:44 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,694 times
Well, bless your heart, Louie. Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-03-2016, 04:16 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Bah humbug!!

LOL already picking on the new guy?

Same question to you. Gee whiz.

BTW louiefrias welcome to the forum. We old grumpy people don't do anything but grumble and complain. We badger each other and the choices we made, are making, or even will make. None of us get any sleep because of it either.
Hahaha! Finally somebody with a funny bone...:-D))

Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,858 times
Hi louisfrias,

Just so I get this straight, you've joined the retirement forum because you aren't retired & don't want to retire... and you "never sat around and watched life pass me by. And I don't do it now." by selling insurance?

Welcome!

Old 10-04-2016, 01:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiefrias View Post
And, yes, this is my first post to it.
I never sat around and watched life pass me by.
And I don't do it now.
I'm not retired by choice because I become bored
too easily.
I've always lived a healthy life style, never cheat
myself, (Meaning I eat bad-for-me foods when my body
begs me to.) and never look back.
I'm hoping there are many here who feel this way as well.
I was a real estate broker/developer and mortgage banker
for more than 35 years before I tired of it and gave it all up
nearly a year ago to return to the insurance arena.
Don't get me wrong, insurance bores the crap out of me.
What it DOES, makes me sit up and take notice. But again,
getting others to see it from my POV is the trick.
Where some see rainbows, others see black clouds.
Blah, blah, blah I know.
As my first post I simply wanted to introduce myself, and
say hello.
Moving forward, I will be posting stuff that makes you go,
"Hmmmm."
Like the hundreds of self-created memes on my Pinterest page.
Feel free to look at some of them...who knows, maybe one of them
will make your day a little brighter.
Cheers!
Think of this as an old people's forum rather than a retirement forum because the latter is only a small part of old age. I can't imagine being retired, spending the day trying to kill time. I prefer to occupy myself with my investments, my psychic business, and some scholarly pursuits. My wife died eleven years ago; I'm now an old man with an old dog and an old cat, but I have never lost my love for money. I'm now in the 30-30 years, 73 to be precise. That means that I could drop dead in the next 30 seconds or live for 30 more years.

There are several other fora on this website that you might enjoy as well: the Food Forum along with the Recipes subforum, the Pet Forum and its subfora, the Collecting subforum and Gun subforum of Hobbies, and the Self-Suffficiency and Preparedness Forum. Still, this one is the best place to tell us about life as our rendevous with Death draws nigh.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:12 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Think of this as an old people's forum rather than a retirement forum because the latter is only a small part of old age. I can't imagine being retired, spending the day trying to kill time. ... Still, this one is the best place to tell us about life as our rendevous with Death draws nigh.
Looking that the definition of 'retired':
adjective: retired
having left one's job and ceased to work.
"a retired teacher"

I wish people would stop equating 'retirement' with death. I am eagerly looking forward to retirement. Instead of "spending the day trying to kill time", I will being:

1) Building a new house and music studio. Not just hiring a crew, but doing actually framing, wiring, plumbing, etc.
2) Will be working on a CD (remember those! haha) of original jazz music. I need to brush up on my piano for background. I have been learning PC based mixing and programming of drum synthesizers, plus penning songs (in what little spare time I have) for the last 5 years- time to get them into a polished form.
3) Expanding my photography Website. That means extended travel to the Natl. Parks in different seasons.
4) Purchasing another scooter for DW and we will be heading out on long trips...with cameras.
5) Designing and programming computer-controlled lighting systems for the house.

...and on and on. We seem to find WAY too much to do in our current time off.

Personally, I for one can't imagine working my life away, worrying about investments. There is too much to do in life that is in the realm of low cost delights. DW and I just spent three days hiking and photographing Caves in Indiana. Total Cost? About $300 for the two of us. Wish there were more threads about people enjoying their lives instead of waiting to die.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,313,073 times
What's Pinterest?

Now get off my lawn!

Old 10-04-2016, 05:33 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Think of this as an old people's forum rather than a retirement forum because the latter is only a small part of old age. I can't imagine being retired, spending the day trying to kill time. I prefer to occupy myself with my investments, my psychic business, and some scholarly pursuits. My wife died eleven years ago; I'm now an old man with an old dog and an old cat, but I have never lost my love for money. I'm now in the 30-30 years, 73 to be precise. That means that I could drop dead in the next 30 seconds or live for 30 more years.
I would have thought that with your psychic abilities you'd be able to pinpoint it a little better than that.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:11 AM

404 posts, read 480,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
So, you decided to join City-Data, and out of all the forums here, you decided to post in the Retirement Forum in order to tell all the retirees here that you consider retirement to be boring and analogous to sitting around watching life pass you by.

Gotcha.
Perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement