U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:06 PM

4,022 posts, read 2,605,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Please be sure and take your pets. As noted above, many shelters will accept pets. Whatever you do, please don't leave them in a crate or tied up.

Hope everyone in the path stays safe and it will make a turn and head out to see instead.

Ack!!! sea I need to proofread better. I hate it when I find a typo and it's too late to edit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 02:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Please be sure and take your pets. As noted above, many shelters will accept pets. Whatever you do, please don't leave them in a crate or tied up.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:37 PM

782 posts, read 893,007 times
I am headed up early next weekm should make for an interesting vacation. Hope my 98 y/o father does not blow away before I get there.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:47 PM

2,428 posts, read 1,665,603 times
I'm sitting on the Gulf side hoping Matthew doesn't wobble on over here. I've done prep as far as food, gas, cash and go box. Now it's wait and see.

DH is working in NY and won't be home until Friday evening. He's checking in on me, ready to come back if needed, but the airlines won't be flying by then if it comes to that. I have our son here, so I'm not alone. I'm just grateful there were no storms when they were on vacation in August and I was pet sitting. DH was gone then too and I had visions of evacuating with their pets and ours, a total of nine and a parrot.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:43 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,445,259 times
Climate change has made many previously survivable events, no longer as easily survivable in terms of damage and life. Storm surge of water now happens all over the world. And storm surge is similar to a tsunami with surge as high as a 7 or 9 feet wall of water, such as occurred on the Jersey Shore. Climate change has made many weather aspects more severe.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-05-2016 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 05:10 PM

19,836 posts, read 18,845,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Climate change has made many previous survivable events, no longer as easily survivable in terms of damage and life. Storm surge now happens all over the world. And storm surge is similar to a tsunami with surge as high as a 7 or 9 feet wall of water, such as occurred on the Jersey Shore. Climate change has made many weather aspects more severe.
A few winters ago we had the Storm of the Century here. Areas that don't normally get flooded, got flooded. We are in a 100 year flood zone and thank goodness, being on a slight hill, when the ocean came over, WAY OVER, the water went rushing down the street and created a lake at the bottom of the hill.

There wasn't an order to evacuate that year except for those who live directly ON the beach. Some of those people were rescued in boats. One couple had a giant wave crash through their sliders and if the husband hadn't held onto the woman, she would have been washed out to sea!

We were trapped, however. Couldn't escape by walking up towards the ocean because it was a foot deep in partially frozen slush and couldn't get out the other way because it was a lake. I make sure to always have food on hand, the type that can be eaten right out of the container--chips, crackers, nuts, water and fruit. Flashlights, a large candle, matches, a battery operated lantern--we get them out and put them right in the middle of the table so we can find them fast or even in the dark.

That Hurricane Sandy was supposed to hit us but it changed its evil mind and hit NJ and was fizzled out by the time it got here.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:32 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,445,259 times
Yes, these storm surge giant waves of water crashing through homes are terrifying.

I watched a huge tsunami in real time right as it was happening in Japan a couple years ago on CNN. very terrifying!

It seems to have escaped the attention of many, even though CNN covered it extensively. One nuclear power plant was in danger of contaminating the region and greater distances, and actually did. 1000's of people were killed by the tsunami itself. The strong storm surge from the ocean and big walls of water destroyed everything in its path.

your story, in_newengland, is also enlightening. sorry you experienced that!

I read about Jersey Shore people trapped in upper floors of their homes while 7 or 8 foot storm surge waves/walls of water crashed into their homes from the ocean.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-05-2016 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 05:40 PM

1,318 posts, read 833,634 times
Hoping that all CD people on the east coast stay safe!

Old 10-05-2016, 05:52 PM

5,929 posts, read 2,887,264 times
We're in the US visiting, poor timing on being in Florida I guess... turtled up in motel outside Gainesville.

Have the tank filled up, got cash from ATM, have water and beer. Bring it.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:56 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,630,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
With Hurricane Matthew approaching/threatening most of the SE coast - I wonder how those of you who are seniors are dealing with it. Especially if you live in a single family house. But even if you don't (because there may be mandatory evacuations ordered tomorrow morning). I am having a heck of a time with my 98 year old father. Who refuses to budge come he** or high water.

On my part - here in NE Florida - I haven't yet decided what to do (will decide tomorrow morning). I do know I'm in a bit of a pickle even if I stay. Because my husband had cataract surgery today. And he's not supposed to bend over/lift anything (there are a couple of heavy things that have to moved into the garage). Reckon I'll have to deal with those things myself. Robyn
I don't know the answer, but I am 79 and I moved to Ocean Springs three months before Katrina. I knew very little about hurricanes , but I made up my mind that if the weather event was spelled beginning with a "H", I was going to evacuate. I had lots of folks say they wouldn't evacuate for a Cat 1 hurricane. I evacuated for four during my three years in Mississippi. Only one was deadly.
I guess my advice is to force him to go, hire some help and make him go and do it early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or