U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 07:18 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,689,130 times

Advertisements

I'm in Palm Beach County (north of Fort Lauderdale; south of West Palm Beach) so we will feel the effects first.

If I post here early Friday (before it comes to you), you will know the result.

Most stores are shutting down for the 2 days. Just heard Costco has gas and there is no line (24 hours).

We have our shutters up but that is about it.

We also have businesses to protect so we are working into the night while we have power.

Will be thinking of all those in the path of Matthew. Not a storm to be taken lightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:06 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,010,111 times
We tried to phone my sister who lives in a beach town near Melbourne, no answer. We were going to offer our hospitality here on the Gulf side, not on the beach. We phoned her son who lives in Maine and he told us she had already evacuated to an inland location. We will go see her on Christmas if she still has a home. It is 140 miles from here to there.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 PM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We tried to phone my sister who lives in a beach town near Melbourne, no answer. We were going to offer our hospitality here on the Gulf side, not on the beach. We phoned her son who lives in Maine and he told us she had already evacuated to an inland location. We will go see her on Christmas if she still has a home. It is 140 miles from here to there.
Sounds like she's safe. Probably she's far enough inland and didn't want to go the 140 miles this time. Maybe she is worried about her property and the possibility of looters so she wanted to stay close by. I hope she still has a home at Christmas and you are all able to be together.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:04 AM

9,677 posts, read 15,855,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
With Hurricane Matthew approaching/threatening most of the SE coast - I wonder how those of you who are seniors are dealing with it. Especially if you live in a single family house. But even if you don't (because there may be mandatory evacuations ordered tomorrow morning). I am having a heck of a time with my 98 year old father. Who refuses to budge come he** or high water.

On my part - here in NE Florida - I haven't yet decided what to do (will decide tomorrow morning). I do know I'm in a bit of a pickle even if I stay. Because my husband had cataract surgery today. And he's not supposed to bend over/lift anything (there are a couple of heavy things that have to moved into the garage). Reckon I'll have to deal with those things myself. Robyn

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but this hurricane was predicted at least a few days ago. The surgery should have been postponed. Nothing like that should be done if the situation might be unstable in the next few days. I think the eye doctor was being a bit greedy....

Old 10-06-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If you go to a shelter and take your valuables you are asking for trouble. Unless you have one of those undergarment "safes" that you fasten to your bra this is not a good idea. I understand it will be in your pocketbook, but if you doze off to sleep it might be stolen. If you are that worried about those items I suggest a safety deposit box. As an emergency preparedness worker for Sandy on LI, we discouraged all valuables being brought in.

Put all records, like insurance policy #, phone numbers of important people, bank account numbers, a copy of your RX's in a zip lock bag in the event you are sheltering for a while you will have access to that info. If you can, create a system for your own use to disguise the numbers. For example, add a number at the beginning of your policy numbers and bank account numbers that way if your info sheet falls into the wrong hands your number is not as easy to compromise.
All that stuff should be stored in the Cloud, anyways! Keeping important documents in baggies, metal boxes, etc, is sooooo last century

You can't just get a safety deposit box on the fly. Many banks only rent to their own customers, and there's often a waiting list. We do have a safety deposit box, I have some valuables stored there, like my Grandmother's jewelry, last appraised at ~$100,000. If I had to flee my home, I would try, if possible, to put remaining valuables in the bank safe deposit. However, if you don't have/can't obtain one, consider a storage unit, on the second floor, of course!

If you're concerned about looters, document valuables you must leave behind, with serial numbers, pictures, etc, for insuance claims. You do have insurance

Old 10-06-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Anyone who lives in disaster-prone areas really shouldn't be just starting last-minute measures. These should be in place always. I don't live in one of these areas but have a pretty good (it could be better) system down, including bags packed with essentials of all kinds left on the garage landing outside my back door for grab and run. The problem I would face would be my two dogs. I doubt that shelters allow pets, and what happens to them? We got a lot of dogs and cats after Sandy and other disasters up here. Be sure to have a safety plan for them.

At least make sure your pets are micro-chipped, AND ensure the chip is updated with current contact information. Take pictures of pets, and do take along the micro-chip contact number.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I am headed up early next weekm should make for an interesting vacation. Hope my 98 y/o father does not blow away before I get there.
Give Grandpa some Benedryl, then pick him up and carry him out!

Old 10-06-2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You have me pegged . FWIW - we got our lawn guys to help us with a few things this morning. So we are pretty much "good to go". Have made an evacuation reservation for tomorrow. Not terribly far away - but on the other side of the intracoastal waterway (fewer potential flooding issues). Robyn

P.S. The one thing you absolutely don't want to have as a senior is removable shutters that you have to install. It's hard to get any help at the last minute when a storm's approaching.

This is good to know

Old 10-06-2016, 02:32 AM

We used to live in Houston, and had many hurricane watch/warnings over the years. Since we lived about 100 mines inland, in the extreme NW corner, we didn't evacuate. We did go out and "panic buy". The hardest thing to find is water. I learned to save empty gallon milk jugs or water jugs, washed/dried, and stored in the garage. Upon the issuance of a watch/warning, I would fill the bottles with tap water, add about 1/4 tsp bleach, cap, and seal with duct tape. No, it doesn't taste as good as Evian, but you would be mighty glad to have it if water ran out!

Old 10-06-2016, 04:01 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
The Weather Channel on cable TV gives lots of good information on approaching hurricanes and details of what is happening in Florida, the Carolinas, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or