Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:19 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

With Hurricane Matthew approaching/threatening most of the SE coast - I wonder how those of you who are seniors are dealing with it. Especially if you live in a single family house. But even if you don't (because there may be mandatory evacuations ordered tomorrow morning). I am having a heck of a time with my 98 year old father. Who refuses to budge come he** or high water.

On my part - here in NE Florida - I haven't yet decided what to do (will decide tomorrow morning). I do know I'm in a bit of a pickle even if I stay. Because my husband had cataract surgery today. And he's not supposed to bend over/lift anything (there are a couple of heavy things that have to moved into the garage). Reckon I'll have to deal with those things myself. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 04:29 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
finally a hurricane named after me . i waited my whole life for this . looks like i will be remembered . they even spelled matthew with two T'S .

stay safe !

Old 10-04-2016, 04:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
First, run to Staples and get a portable wet-proof strong box and put any important legal papers in it and place it inside another waterproof container easy enough to lift and add meds, eyeglasses, keys and cash. A cherished photo or two, and plenty of snacks and bottled water. And a phone and car phone charger. (I have one of those gizmos that charges the car battery as well as the phone.) Keep it at the door or in the car and be ready to go. If likely headed for a shelter, throw pillows, sleeping bags and blowup air mattress (even a yoga mat) in the car, gas it up. Having worked with emergency services at the Red Cross, I urge these measures.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:33 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Oh, Robyn55, what terrible timing. Day after his cataract surgery.

I live on the seacoast and a few years ago when we were supposed to be evacuated I packed some stuff in plastic bags. I took our birth certificates, passports, (anything we might need as an ID), a few changes of underwear, some cash, toothbrushes, etc.) We don't have medications but I would have packed those too. I couldn't take everything so I put my treasured photographs (there are all in waterproof metal boxes) up high on a closet shelf. I think I put a few valuable jewelry items in my purse and just hid the rest of the valuables. I was more afraid of looters than of actual water when it came to jewelry and that sort of item.

The reason I stuck things into plastic bags was to make them waterproof and light enough for me to carry if we went to a shelter. I'd say lock your windows and doors in case you have to leave and try to make the best of it. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:48 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
I'm pretty sure Robyn is a pro at this. I advised my son to reserve a hotel room west or northwest of JAX, just in case, and told him that the "lady from Ponte Vedra" does this. LOL

He's also waiting until tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:05 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
I'm making my decision tomorrow too, and choosing between an inland hotel room (if any are left) with a friend who will also evacuate if necessary, or driving to stay with friends out of state (not what I want to do). I'm in a single family, and the first floor has been empty for some time, so flooding won't ruin any "stuff".

I'll be helping to put up storm shutters tomorrow, but, alas, I have none, so I'm hoping my hurricane rated windows will suffice.

Robyn, check craigslist *tonight*, because there are people who you can hire to move stuff so neither you nor your husband have to do so. And call them tonight to set up a move time tomorrow. I used such a service (a couple of 19 year old guys as it turned out) to move an enormous wardrobe once. Surely, they will be booking up, so get them asap.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/search/lbs

Hopefully, you can convince your dad to just go to a dang hotel room with you. Or book a house on airbnb so you all can fit. Tell him your going to Disney World! lol (I know, that doesn't work on Floridians)

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Robyn, check craigslist *tonight*, because there are people who you can hire to move stuff so neither you nor your husband have to do so. And call them tonight to set up a move time tomorrow. I used such a service (a couple of 19 year old guys as it turned out) to move an enormous wardrobe once. Surely, they will be booking up, so get them asap.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/search/lbs
LOL. That's definitely the wrong advice to give to Robyn. She would sooner call the warden of her local prison and ask him to send over a convict than she would go on Craigslist and hire some stranger from there to come to her home. I guess at least with the convict, she'd know his name and address!

Old 10-05-2016, 03:55 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
If you go to a shelter and take your valuables you are asking for trouble. Unless you have one of those undergarment "safes" that you fasten to your bra this is not a good idea. I understand it will be in your pocketbook, but if you doze off to sleep it might be stolen. If you are that worried about those items I suggest a safety deposit box. As an emergency preparedness worker for Sandy on LI, we discouraged all valuables being brought in.

Put all records, like insurance policy #, phone numbers of important people, bank account numbers, a copy of your RX's in a zip lock bag in the event you are sheltering for a while you will have access to that info. If you can, create a system for your own use to disguise the numbers. For example, add a number at the beginning of your policy numbers and bank account numbers that way if your info sheet falls into the wrong hands your number is not as easy to compromise.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Anyone who lives in disaster-prone areas really shouldn't be just starting last-minute measures. These should be in place always. I don't live in one of these areas but have a pretty good (it could be better) system down, including bags packed with essentials of all kinds left on the garage landing outside my back door for grab and run. The problem I would face would be my two dogs. I doubt that shelters allow pets, and what happens to them? We got a lot of dogs and cats after Sandy and other disasters up here. Be sure to have a safety plan for them.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:01 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I'm pretty sure Robyn is a pro at this. I advised my son to reserve a hotel room west or northwest of JAX, just in case, and told him that the "lady from Ponte Vedra" does this. LOL

He's also waiting until tomorrow.
I was actually a little discombobulated because of my husband's surgery (still am). I did manage to make a reservation at a hotel near downtown JAX. My biggest concern is flooding (I live on a barrier island and - during a similar storm - Hurricane Floyd in 1999 - the rising water almost made it inside our house). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement