Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,860,325 times

Advertisements

We have had 14 addresses in our life, mostly because of various job changes, etc. But this last one is about to kill me. I don't remember any of our other moves requiring this much work. Of course, this one is different. We're also cleaning out and downsizing, not just throwing everything we own in a truck. We also have many years of accumulation we having to sort through, and for our moves in the last 20 years, we had 2 strong sons to help share the load.

But even with having more time, it sure is a ton of work. The old bones just don't have the giddy up they used to have. So, IMHO, if you're going to pick up and move after retirement, do it while you're still got the energy and enthusiasm to do it. It doesn't get easier as you get older. Now some of you, I'm sure can afford a moving company, but we're cheap, so its all our sweat equity we're putting into it.

I wish I could get the wife to down size what we had in our first appt. I think that move took one morning and a small moving truck: A couple of dressers, a bed, couch, kitchen table with two chairs, a couch, recliner, a TV and that was about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 11:35 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,313,870 times
I wish my parents had followed this advice. Now it's going to be a problem.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:43 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,202,768 times
That is why I like this forum. I learn so much from following y'alls adventures. I'm in my 50s and just do not want to be even thinking of doing heavy moving and other things some of y'all do. I'm amazed at the stamina and energy you have.

I used to think that hard physical labor was the way to go to staying in shape. But now that I have started a new regime that includes Yoga - what a difference. Much more relaxed than when i'm out there mowing the yard. Forget that - lol.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,939,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Now some of you, I'm sure can afford a moving company,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
...but we're cheap, so its all our sweat equity we're putting into it.
I really don't see a correlation between your two thoughts there.

It's one thing if someone can't afford to hire a moving company, but if you have the resources to do so, but you're just too cheap to spend the money, then you neither get nor deserve any sympathy. My wife and I have moved into 10 different residences during our 40 years together, and not once did we do it by UHaul or anything similar. I don't mind trying to be frugal in certain circumstances, but packing up a house and driving the contents to a new location is not among them.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:11 PM

16,143 posts, read 10,284,780 times
This is my plan for sure move immediately as soon as the house sells at retirement. But after hearing how much moving companies charge I don't see how I can justify that as long as we are young enough and have friends/family. As we plan to rent first I figure we can rent a UHaul and just move the stuff we will need for a 6 month rental, then store the rest. Then it will require 2 more moves but that's OK, we'll have the time.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:13 PM

16,143 posts, read 10,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I really don't see a correlation between your two thoughts there.

It's one thing if someone can't afford to hire a moving company, but if you have the resources to do so, but you're just too cheap to spend the money, then you neither get nor deserve any sympathy. My wife and I have moved into 10 different residences during our 40 years together, and not once did we do it by UHaul or anything similar. I don't mind trying to be frugal in certain circumstances, but packing up a house and driving the contents to a new location is not among them.
That is totally unfair. If they are able to do it who are you to say choosing not to spend $20,000 with Maytag is the wrong decision?

Old 09-21-2016, 01:21 PM

241 posts, read 271,993 times
We have started process to build next spring, place is 4 hrs away. We also have a large barn there.

So we are downsizing and moving pickup truck loads of what is left up there every other weekend. We are lucky we can spread this work out like this. Also gives us plenty of time. When the house sells next year we will hire company to move large stuff. We have been told cheapest way to go is to rent large truck, hire local packers and un, here and there and be done with it. Will investigate that approach in the spring.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:01 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,424,278 times
I considered a possible move to Tennessee, but then looking at what needed to be sorted, given away, sent to Salvation Army, and stored in a new location, it just didn't seem to be worth it. At that point, the old home really began to look good. There are other ways to get enjoyment out of life besides pulling stakes and heading elsewhere.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:14 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,865,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This is my plan for sure move immediately as soon as the house sells at retirement. But after hearing how much moving companies charge I don't see how I can justify that as long as we are young enough and have friends/family. As we plan to rent first I figure we can rent a UHaul and just move the stuff we will need for a 6 month rental, then store the rest. Then it will require 2 more moves but that's OK, we'll have the time.
Us too.
You could do what my husband insists we are doing. Selling almost everything and making the trip in our 4-Runner and trailer we already own.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,632 posts, read 57,651,190 times
Yes, please settle on a 'final resting place' pre-age 80. (if possible)

We help rural retirees, so LOTS of stuff... tractors, airplanes, bulldozers, barns, sheds, workshops...

Best to find / designate a resolution for all this stuff BEFORE you need to pull the trigger.

Sometimes.... there is an 'age-of-reason' and beyond that event.... choices may no longer be yours. It varies by person, situation, and condition, but generally somewhere between age 80 and 90 folks can become very stubborn and maybe unreasonable about losing freedoms / and resolving responsibilities. (including moving).

Work this out while you are able.

write it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement