U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:01 AM

19,520 posts, read 20,895,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When my parents moved to the Sequim, WA area 14 years ago, it was starting to get other retirees in large numbers, most from California. With the natural beauty, slow pace, and oddly sunny weather it had a lot of appeal. Home prices were, and still are well below the Seattle area (Sequim median even now just over $200k). While Seattle gets 46" of rain, Sequim gets only 16". The median age there now is 59, and the flood of retirees has continued so the services have grown too better serve them.
I agree. With Port Townsend and the Olympics within easy reach, it's a very nice and liveable area -- especially once you get away from the commercial sprawl which infects nearly all American towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,519,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Turning the retirement quandary on its head, instead of wondering, "What place do I want?" ask, "What place wants me?" There are surely many towns that want people to move there but I can't figure out how to do an effective search to find these places. I'm open to your suggestions and ideas for both 1) how to do an effective search, and 2) places that want newcomers.
The state of Mississippi.

When I first started doing research on places to retire , I ran across Mississippi's Retirement Cities.

The state of Mississippi designated certain cities as " Certified Retirement Cities" and they had to meet the state's criteria to qualify.

They were rated on.......health care, cost of homes, tax burdens, low crime rate.
Once you contacted the State, they sent you some info on the qualifying cities and then you requested via post card which city/cities you wanted more info on.

Every city had an "ambassador" who would volunteer to drive you around and also answer any questions you had. They even called your home and asked if you would like an appointment when the visit got closer. None of the "ambassadors" could be real estate people or in any business of trying to sell you anything.

Mississippi started out with about 20..........."Certified Retirement Cities"

I was very impressed with that state program to attract retirees to Mississippi !

Old 10-09-2016, 07:58 PM

95 posts, read 238,940 times
Maverick, a challenging question but there is so much more to this in these times. Real Estate is all over the place depending on what area the country you look at. Who wants me is personal ,it's more about what you want which is where you start. I will agree with you on 55+ communities they're not our style and others love them. Living in a place that includes diversity, embraces all age groups and finally living in a community who takes care of their community such as food and clothes drives etc. This is kindness, community that pays it forward....priceless, good luck

Old 10-10-2016, 09:09 AM

8,954 posts, read 7,729,944 times
I have several friends that have retired to Sun City Hilton Head and others to the Village in FL. They all fell in with a social group within a few months of living there. As is life, the longer they lived there the more friends they made but also there were some they did not get along with so their social circles have changed some.

There initial friends came for the fact that they were all golfers and they joined various golf groups, but this can happen no matter the sport/hobby as you meet others that enjoy what you enjoy.

In a retirement village type arrangement, newcomers are looking to make new friends and quite often meet other newcomers also looking to make new friends.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,519,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have several friends that have retired to Sun City Hilton Head and others to the Village in FL. They all fell in with a social group within a few months of living there. As is life, the longer they lived there the more friends they made but also there were some they did not get along with so their social circles have changed some.

There initial friends came for the fact that they were all golfers and they joined various golf groups, but this can happen no matter the sport/hobby as you meet others that enjoy what you enjoy.

In a retirement village type arrangement, newcomers are looking to make new friends and quite often meet other newcomers also looking to make new friends.
( regarding your last paragraph)

When one re-locates to a 55+ community the similarity is there.
It might be nice to move to a strange city that has a mix of ages but the neighbors with kids, jobs, school activities, and relatives might not have much time to befriend the older strangers who just moved into their neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:26 PM

911 posts, read 712,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The state of Mississippi.

When I first started doing research on places to retire , I ran across Mississippi's Retirement Cities.

The state of Mississippi designated certain cities as " Certified Retirement Cities" and they had to meet the state's criteria to qualify.

They were rated on.......health care, cost of homes, tax burdens, low crime rate.
Once you contacted the State, they sent you some info on the qualifying cities and then you requested via post card which city/cities you wanted more info on.

Every city had an "ambassador" who would volunteer to drive you around and also answer any questions you had. They even called your home and asked if you would like an appointment when the visit got closer. None of the "ambassadors" could be real estate people or in any business of trying to sell you anything.

Mississippi started out with about 20..........."Certified Retirement Cities"

I was very impressed with that state program to attract retirees to Mississippi !

That's funny, I was looking at Mississippi as a retirement place. If you have means, are pretty healthy and can get around, why not just rent an old shotgun house and call it good.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:16 PM

21,856 posts, read 14,356,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When my parents moved to the Sequim, WA area 14 years ago, it was starting to get other retirees in large numbers, most from California. With the natural beauty, slow pace, and oddly sunny weather it had a lot of appeal. Home prices were, and still are well below the Seattle area (Sequim median even now just over $200k). While Seattle gets 46" of rain, Sequim gets only 16". The median age there now is 59, and the flood of retirees has continued so the services have grown too better serve them.
We visited Sequim this summer, and I thought it had a cute town with amenities, and it was so close to the amazing Olympic National Park. I am surprised that the cost of housing is still so low.

It would be a great place for people who like to do outdoorsy things.

Someone needs to open a great restaurant there.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,772 posts, read 54,408,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We visited Sequim this summer, and I thought it had a cute town with amenities, and it was so close to the amazing Olympic National Park. I am surprised that the cost of housing is still so low.

It would be a great place for people who like to do outdoorsy things.

Someone needs to open a great restaurant there.
There is one, the Dockside Grill at John Wayne Marina. Expensive but worth it. Other than that, I have not been impressed by any restaurants in Sequim, though for inexpensive breakfast or lunch the Hi-Way 101 Diner is OK. Port Angeles is only 20 minutes away, with a handful of good restaurants, but nothing spectacular. Smuggler's Landing has pretty good seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or