U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:43 PM

8,797 posts, read 7,712,915 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but this like being sorry for people who got addicted to heroine, or took up base jumping, or stuffed their face and ended up at 400 lbs. They did it too themselves. Spending money they should have been saving. I see 50+ women working in all kinds of stores. I saw a woman in a walker working as a greeter.

I've also seen other women on videos, who retired with limited funds, and moved into an RV, found cheap places to park. IF someone wants to solve their problems, they can. But problems don't get solved crying and moaning and waiting for someone else to fix it for you, unless you want to let the govt. take care of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 03:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
I am NOT attempting to stereotype here, but there are some women among those I personally know, like two of my sisters, who would be one step from dire poverty if their husbands did not provide a lion's share of the income since day one of the marriage.

These women are around my age. They typically held jobs not high-paying or career-track but some had jobs that did provide such things as municipal health insurance to allow their husbands to thrive in their own businesses.

One of my sisters has a teaching degree but because husband was in a high position she never worked more than PT in a library. They just didn't feel like they had to be a primary provider because the husband would do it all and they themselves would pay for the niceties like vacations/cruises, kid college funds, gifts, etc. If their high-earner spouse precedes them in death, they are typically left well-off. It does gall me when some of these entitled women (of my generation) have no clue that they're well-off because of their high-earning husbands. They feel their marriage choice made them worthy of that kind of safety. My observations are not sexist, just what is.

This personal observation also relates to frequent criticism aimed at single or divorced women who had to make it totally on their own and wound up close to being destitute in retirement (many after holding low paying jobs and caring for others, and often retiring due to health problems).

I admire the women I know around my age who actually fended for themselves, with or without their spouse.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:20 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,335,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Hi Yellow - How many of those destitute women retired voluntarily?

I cannot fathom voluntarily retiring into poverty. I hate to say it, but in that scenario, best to die in the saddle.
Some did! Like the woman I referenced in the first paragraph who doesn't know how she is going to afford food this month.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Sorry, but this like being sorry for people who got addicted to heroine, or took up base jumping, or stuffed their face and ended up at 400 lbs. They did it too themselves. Spending money they should have been saving. I see 50+ women working in all kinds of stores. I saw a woman in a walker working as a greeter.

I've also seen other women on videos, who retired with limited funds, and moved into an RV, found cheap places to park. IF someone wants to solve their problems, they can. But problems don't get solved crying and moaning and waiting for someone else to fix it for you, unless you want to let the govt. take care of you.
Most of the women are doing the best they can on very limited funds. But the day will come when the taxpayer is going to have to subsidize them. I can't see this going any other way.

For the most part, these women didn't do any of the things you mentioned. They either worked for nothing or spent decades taking care of kids and the elderly. Quite a few are still hanging in there trying to take care of their disabled children. You have to have money to save money.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 10-05-2016 at 04:40 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 04:26 PM

7,692 posts, read 4,725,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
It does gall me when some of these entitled women (of my generation) have no clue that they're well-off because of their high-earning husbands. They feel their marriage choice made them worthy of that kind of safety.
I have to say I agree with them. They chose well. I wish every woman would choose well when it comes to a marriage partner. If their husbands are OK with them working part-time, that's all that matters.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
Pointing out the obvious, sometimes a health problem makes retiring necessary.

I do not understand the statement 'best that they just die'. Millions of people all over the world live a meager existence and to say they all might as well just die is mind-boggling.

(including the women in this thread in the U.S. who are living meagerly)

Also, there are different and varying degrees of a meager existence.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM

5,205 posts, read 671,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Hi Yellow - How many of those destitute women retired voluntarily?

I cannot fathom voluntarily retiring into poverty. I hate to say it, but in that scenario, best to die in the saddle.
Some individuals don't get the luxury of voluntarily retiring. Some are forced to retire or have to leave their jobs due to ill health. I work for a state agency and you would not believe the shenanigans that occur (reorganizing people out of their positions, state layoffs, etc.) If management wants you out, they'll make it tough for you. A few years back we had one woman targeted because someone complained of her hygiene (she's a cat hoarder) Mind you, the woman targeted worked in the same department since she was 18 and was in her early 60s when the complaint occurred. She was encouraged to seek medical and psychological treatment. She was so embarrassed and mortified she left the job. No kudos for the years of dedication to her job (she was damn good at it--very thorough), no retirement party (she was too upset to want one), NADA. The underlying reason was a targeted effort by the organization to get rid of anyone falling under Tier I state retirement plan. The middle manager so much as said that there were 2 people in her department that upper management wanted out. In a previous iteration of my own department, the new supervisor that was hired (the previous supervisor was demoted because of office politics) didn't even last a year. When he was being considered for the job he specifically told the director that if he was being hired to clean house he didn't want the job. He was assured that it was not so. Well guess what--management wanted both my previous supervisor and another colleague out.

I digress, but the point is crap has a way of sneaking up on you in life.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:35 PM

After my experience with 'Dave', I theorized people with nothing were better off than people with just a little. This group seems to prove this is probably true too! The people who are very poor get everything free or reduced cost. Dave still has a great standard of living and totally free medical on 1K per month. Let's say he made 2K per month. He would be eligible for nothing but he still couldn't afford to actually pay full price either. He would have to do without. Poor Dave is just fine. Not so poor Dave would be in serious trouble.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:41 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,448,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Most of the women are doing the best they can on very limited funds. But the day will come when the taxpayer is going to have to subsidize them. I can't see this going any other way.
I suspect you're right. Currently, I subsidize my 89 year old mom making sure she's in a safe living situation and has all the care she needs. Mom grew up during the Great Depression, of course, and as with so many people of her generation, her world view is never to be a burden on her children. She's too proud to ever ask for anything, so I just do the best I can to ensure her fridge and pantry are always stocked etc.

As the elderly cohort grows in size, I suspect we will see more and more families doing "granny dumping."

Old 10-05-2016, 04:56 PM

5,396 posts, read 21,404,537 times
The food banks in this area ask only for a name, number of dependents, and SS number (government reporting requirement) and will provide food on a weekly basis. No questions about income, savings, or any thing else... if you say you need food they will provide it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or