Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianapolis Jones View Post
Thanks.

And you could make way more than $28/hour, especially as an RN. Have you considered going back to school for your NP? I know NPs corner the market in Colorado.
I would love too!

I've noticed the NP trend here also; since around 2006-2007 maybe.

I'm scared but I'm not ready to stop hoping. Things change & I'm "only" 48. Just last year my son finally was approved for some services he had been on a waiting list for (maybe 2+ YEARS).

These included some limited funds for respite services & therapy. He's a great kid; I'm 100% sure that I've done the right thing by him.

It's just scary to read the experiences of other caregivers who also "did the right thing" & are now headed for poverty.

Ageing is NOT for wimps; thats for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 PM

123 posts, read 103,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I would love too!

I've noticed the NP trend here also; since around 2006-2007 maybe.

I'm scared but I'm not ready to stop hoping. Things change & I'm "only" 48. Just last year my son finally was approved for some services he had been on a waiting list for (maybe 2+ YEARS).

These included some limited funds for respite services & therapy. He's a great kid; I'm 100% sure that I've done the right thing by him.

It's just scary to read the experiences of other caregivers who also "did the right thing" & are now headed for poverty.

Ageing is NOT for wimps; thats for sure.
Tough call. I don't envy your position.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Old 10-07-2016, 03:25 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times
Don't respect people that choose divorce over commitment? Really? A bit self righteous there aren't we? Let's see...miserable, married, and possibly financially secure or happy, single, and maybe a greater chance of not being financially secure....hmmm...what does respect for that decision correspond to? There are gold diggers of both sexes, and naïve pushovers of both sexes. There is no perfect formula or guaranteed path to security and happiness, and certainly being married doesn't guarantee it! . There are consequences to having and not having children and they can't be predicted. Either one can easily be the better decision. If you are going to die last and alone, it's best to have a nice high guaranteed income. That's about the best plan I can think of. Or make a LOT of younger friends and write them in your will if they take care of you, maybe.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:25 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianapolis Jones View Post
Can't say I have much sympathy for those that choose divorce over honoring a commitment.

My mother did honor her commitment and, therefore, will have a comfortable retirement. Both of my parents will. And they had children, one of whom will fight for them and knows the health care system well.
Wow, what a person you are!! The compassion!! I think I can smell it.... oh wait.... it's something else.

My mother and father stayed together for 38 years (let's hear it.... hooray.....something you would say, right??).

OK, during those years, when my father got into the booze, he came home hell bent to murder her. And us kids had to pull him off her, call the cops, run out of the house to get away from him. The day my daughter was born, he went after her for the last time. My sister with cerebral palsy hit him in the head with a cast iron fry pan. He had to go to hospital for stitches, then to jail. Then he was given an option..... prison for the insane or move out of town. His family came and got him. After a year they sent him across the country to live (by himself) where he was hit by a drunk driver and killed.

Know what kind of money my mother got????? $000000000000000000000000000000

Yeah!!!! That is so much better than getting a divorce.

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by toosie; 10-09-2016 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 10-08-2016, 04:25 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Wow, what a person you are!! The compassion!! I think I can smell it.... oh wait.... it's something else.

My mother and father stayed together for 38 years (let's hear it.... hooray.....something you would say, right??).

OK, during those years, when my father got into the booze, he came home hell bent to murder her. And us kids had to pull him off her, call the cops, run out of the house to get away from him. The day my daughter was born, he went after her for the last time. My sister with cerebral palsy hit him in the head with a cast iron fry pan. He had to go to hospital for stitches, then to jail. Then he was given an option..... prison for the insane or move out of town. His family came and got him. After a year they sent him across the country to live (by himself) where he was hit by a drunk driver and killed.

Know what kind of money my mother got????? $000000000000000000000000000000

Yeah!!!! That is so much better than getting a divorce.

Sorry you had to grow up with that situation, but kudos to you for answering Indianapolis Jones.

Last edited by toosie; 10-09-2016 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted post

Old 10-09-2016, 06:12 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
"Can't say I have much sympathy for those that choose divorce over honoring a commitment."

I agree with the posters here about how wrong that sentiment can be. I am on my second marriage, wife is too. Early marriages didn't work out for either of us for reasons that are too numerous to mention, but it was never due to cheating, booze, drugs. My ex was fresh out of college, and miserable with my schedule working my way through college (I just started), so I cut her free to enjoy her life, hopefully with someone that had already paid his dues. I am actually friends with wife's ex, and things worked out for him too. Lessons were more about learning about how life works, and as far as I know, we are all better for the changes. Fast forward to a happy 32-year marriage, and still looking forward to the road ahead with a partner that knows how to share joy. I really wish we could all be so lucky.

Last edited by MichiganGreg; 10-09-2016 at 06:33 AM..

Old 10-09-2016, 02:21 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Maybe it's an Appalachian thing, but I find a majority of the people on the street to be complete idiots. I'd say probably around 20% of the population here are drug addled or just too stupid to make more than the most basic decisions. Even among the college educated, a low percentage of the overall population, many are not that curious or think about deeper things.

Yes, this board likely skews more affluent and far more intelligent than the common people on the street.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:09 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Maybe it's an Appalachian thing, but I find a majority of the people on the street to be complete idiots. I'd say probably around 20% of the population here are drug addled or just too stupid to make more than the most basic decisions. Even among the college educated, a low percentage of the overall population, many are not that curious or think about deeper things.

Yes, this board likely skews more affluent and far more intelligent than the common people on the street.

speechless.

Maybe it's an Appalachian thing.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:02 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
In my Mom's case? Willful negligence. Over the decades I talked to her about money, and saving. She told me off and said she will not be a corporate slave and work as hard as me. Her quality of life was too important. BTW, she lived in my cottage paying 30% going rate for rent the whole time

Now she lives on small social security check and rents a room. She does driver Uber for more money (my idea).

She loved to spend, and she did. She hated to work, so did the bare minimum.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-09-2016, 05:52 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Very unkind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement