U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:17 PM

4,188 posts, read 2,610,813 times

Advertisements

My wife and I can get into periods where we spend a lot of time in front of the computer. We both remind each other to get up, get out, and do something else - go for a hike, work in the garden, do a house project, read a book, visit friends, etc.

The Internet is a two-edged sword - it allows easy access to friends and important info. But it also can be a huge waste of time and lead to too much sitting and not enough exercise. I know I get sucked into it and judging by some of the post counts around here, others seem to also.

I think it can be a real trap when you get older and it becomes easier to sit in front of a computer. It takes effort to move if you have achy joints.

What do others think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 PM

13,351 posts, read 25,617,103 times
Same problem here, pre-retirement! I also find that it's harder to read a real book because I'm used to scanning information/articles/headlines.

I do like being able to stay in good touch with people, but then, I have a lot of time because my full-time job is third shift.

I think in retirement it could get very easy to hang around on-screen too much. I don't watch TV except for baseball and I think scanning stuff could easily become too frequent.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:40 AM

6,337 posts, read 4,771,440 times
Here is a good internet, retirement activity. See how many times you can say the same thing without adding any new information or thoughts.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:02 AM

4,352 posts, read 6,071,796 times
I don't think it's a trap. I think it's an asset. I leave the house for fun, not to drive from store to store thanks to amazon.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:48 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,737,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post

The Internet is a two-edged sword - it allows easy access to friends and important info. But it also can be a huge waste of time and lead to too much sitting and not enough exercise. I know I get sucked into it and judging by some of the post counts around here, others seem to also.
So of course, we all are sucked in too?
And high post count does not necessarily mean spending hours here. I average less than 6 posts a day. Than can take 5 minutes!

I use the internet as a break from all my activities. I am fairly sure than is more common than getting sucked in, not counting the gamers!

Old 10-06-2016, 09:24 AM

4,017 posts, read 2,562,034 times
I allow myself 1 hour in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. In the evening its my entertainment, the TV is on but unless its a rare good movie its mostly just background. Most of the time I am so involved with the computer I lose track of whats going on on TV.
On City-Data I go on LA, Calif. Oregon, Automotive and Retirement twice a day and if there is time Politics and other Controversies
I love to post if I think of something I think is worthwhile, and I guess most do. I have to be careful not to post something thats against the rules especially in LA and Calif.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:27 AM

211 posts, read 151,940 times
I do what pleases me. I'm retired.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:39 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,451,342 times
Sounds like a personal problem.

If internet use is becoming a problem, decide what you want to do about it, make a plan to accomplish your goal, then do it. Nobody is going to swoop in and save you from the internet. You're going to have to do it yourself. The internet is not, in fact, actively interfering with participation in other human activities. It does not exert any sort of suction or other action on humans. It is the humans making the choice about their level of internet use, not the internet.

Blaming the existence of the internet for what would seem to be more an issue of personal discipline or choice might feel good as a way of deflecting responsibility, but it's not going to solve the underlying problem.

Get up and do something else, then keep getting up and doing something else. Or not. Your choice.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:16 AM

7,796 posts, read 4,784,395 times
I work on a computer -- actually, a bunch of different computers -- every day. I have a Sunbeam kitchen timer next to the sofa so I'm not tempted to veg out. And it freaks the cat out when it's ticking.

Because you're right: It's harder to get up after you've been motionless for a while.

Speaking of cats, what's the first thing they do when they get up? A long, luxurious stretch. Try that every time you get up from the computer and see if it helps. I find it eases knee pain.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:06 AM

3,665 posts, read 2,822,824 times
One of the things I do in retirement requires helping people from around the world in an area which normally charges hundreds of dollars.

I spend a good amount of time looking for people on-line who might benefit from my free service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or