U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,046,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Multiple ways to commit fraud. Why didn't the OP think of that?!
Why would you say that is fraud? Its just how the family budget is split. The SS money is tracked by SSA to make sure that the child's share of the housing, etc. is paid for with an accurate split of cost budgeted from the SS money. There is annual reporting.

If the parents pay the housing bills do you think that they will pay them with TWO checks --one with the parents share and one with the kid's share--? No, no one does that. They write one check. So after what is budgeted from the SS funds is paid, the parents, with the extra funds they have in their overall budget...since SS funds paid for some housing costs... put some money into a college savings.

Nothing fraudulent about that. It is pretty much how family budgets work. People are just sloppy with the language they use when they say they put the child's money into the college fund.

You seem to think that the SS benefit is welfare and should only be given if the family is in extreme poverty and needs it badly. THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS PROGRAM IS ABOUT.

And personally I like it as it adds to a child being cared for better than most could be under just a SS check to the parents.

Is it 'fair' that most retirees do not have kids? No, but there are lots of unfair things in the SS program. I have never been married and have always worked, but also many of my friends have spouses and ex-spouses that collect / will collect SS that never worked. That is not fair to me as I pay the same rate and their family/ex-family gets more than my family. SS was not meant to be fair.

Last edited by lae60; 10-24-2016 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 06:05 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,529,751 times
I see this as no different than a person who has never worked outside the home or who has a lower income getting spousal social security.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,223,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Why would you say that is fraud? Its just how the family budget is split. The SS money is tracked by SSA to make sure that the child's share of the housing, etc. is paid for with an accurate split of cost budgeted from the SS money. There is annual reporting.

If the parents pay the housing bills do you think that they will pay them with TWO checks --one with the parents share and one with the kid's share--? No, no one does that. They write one check. So after what is budgeted from the SS funds is paid, the parents, with the extra funds they have in their overall budget...since SS funds paid for some housing costs... put some money into a college savings.

Nothing fraudulent about that. It is pretty much how family budgets work. People are just sloppy with the language they use when they say they put the child's money into the college fund.

You seem to think that the SS benefit is welfare and should only be given if the family is in extreme poverty and needs it badly. THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS PROGRAM IS ABOUT.

And personally I like it as it adds to a child being cared for better than most could be under just a SS check to the parents.

Is it 'fair' that most retirees do not have kids? No, but there are lots of unfair things in the SS program. I have never been married and have always worked, but also many of my friends have spouses and ex-spouses that collect / will collect SS that never worked. That is not fair to me as I pay the same rate and their family/ex-family gets more than my family. SS was not meant to be fair.
Seriously?... There must be something in the air lately. Anyway, my point is that a few of your suggestions were fraudulent. I said nothing about fairness, blah blah blah. I worked for SSA and I also work as a family law attorney.

OP is doing nothing wrong saving the child's benefit for college. SSA requires that the funds be placed in a separate custodial acct and that the identification of the account, including bank and acct number is reported to SSA. If I were representing her, which I'm not, I would warn her that she needs to be aware that when the child reaches 18, Social Security will require that the remaining balance of the funds, if any, be returned to the agency. The agency will then issue the 18 year old a check in amount of the balance. This makes sense, because the money belongs to the child and at 18, the child becomes an adult. Hopefully OP will check in and read this response and forget most of the replies that preceded it.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I didn't know about this law either, I thought either the recipient had to be a a minor child of a deceased SS retiree, or the parent had to be disabled for minor children to receive benefits.

I know of several retirees who have had to take custody of their minor grandchildren after the parents were unable to care for the children ( usually when they lost custody of the children due to ongoing drug addiction, criminal activity, but sometimes after the death of the parents). Trying to raise children on a retiree's income would be challenging, to say the least, for many people, and additional income from an SS benefit to a minor dependent could make a difference. I imagine though, to qualify for those benefits the retirees would have to adopt their grandchilden.
If retired grandparents have legal custody of their grandchild, that child is also entitled to dependent's benefits. (This would also apply to the grandchild of disabled grandparents.)

Old 10-25-2016, 11:08 AM

619 posts, read 252,877 times
Not to hijack this post, but I have a complicated question regarding a similar situation, and while there is an SSA ex-employee/lawyer here, thought I would ask! I have raised my granddaughter, who is disabled, since she was a year old. She is now 21. She is on SSI. Her mother is deceased and her father disabled. When I retire, is she eligible for anything like this, or would that just bungle up her SSI, which also includes medical? Should I just not apply for her when I retire??? Very complicated and confusing!

Old 10-25-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Not to hijack this post, but I have a complicated question regarding a similar situation, and while there is an SSA ex-employee/lawyer here, thought I would ask! I have raised my granddaughter, who is disabled, since she was a year old. She is now 21. She is on SSI. Her mother is deceased and her father disabled. When I retire, is she eligible for anything like this, or would that just bungle up her SSI, which also includes medical? Should I just not apply for her when I retire??? Very complicated and confusing!
I can't say off the top of my head...but... Is her father also SSI or is he receiving SSDI? If he is receiving SSDI, did you apply for SSDI under her father's name? Did the daughter receive survivor benefits under her mother's account? I know there's a good chance neither parent earned enough to qualify for SSDI or survivor benefits but those are the first questions that would need to be answered.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:05 PM

thanks for the quick response! I would say neither ever earned enough to have any kind of SS benefits, other than her father was on SSI, I think...but haven't seen nor heard from him in 20 some years! I read somewhere that if the parents were deceased and/or disabled and the grandchild in grandparent's care was also disabled, there could be some SS for that child; however, as she already receives SSI due to her own disability, might not be worth even mentioning her when I file for retirement. Like I said, complicated!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
thanks for the quick response! I would say neither ever earned enough to have any kind of SS benefits, other than her father was on SSI, I think...but haven't seen nor heard from him in 20 some years! I read somewhere that if the parents were deceased and/or disabled and the grandchild in grandparent's care was also disabled, there could be some SS for that child; however, as she already receives SSI due to her own disability, might not be worth even mentioning her when I file for retirement. Like I said, complicated!
Disabled Adult Child: can be based on parents' earnings or grandparent if grandparent legal guardian. Also, is your grandchild able to do any kind of work? I'm asking because Congress passed a law last year that allows the disabled adult child to keep some of their earnings without endangering their Medical Assistance & child disability benefits.

The general rule is one cannot choose to collect SSI, a welfare benefit, rather than benefits based on an earnings record. I'm not sure if this would apply in your case, but I sure would find out. This could apply to the father's record if he received SSDI (not SSI), VA benefits, the mother's survivor benefits (if any) or your future retirement benefits. Finally, and probably most importantly, you should contact an attorney who is knowledgeable about Special Needs Trusts "SNT". It used to be these trusts were set up to protect the child from losing their Medical Assistance. I'm not sure how that has evolved since I last sent someone to an attorney that drafts SNTs so what little I know about it is probably useless.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:28 AM

Thanks again! I do have a special needs trust set up for her. Just wondering how to deal with all of this when I file for social security, which I will probably do next summer. Guess I will just present the situation to them and see where the chips fall! I think she could do a very simple job a few hours a week. She does collect SSI based on her disability and inability to support herself from a job. Again, I doubt there would be anything at all collectible from either parent. It sounds like you are saying that if offered SSI or Social Security based on my earnings, the law would state she MUST take the Social Security benefit. Is that correct? Probably wouldn't be enough income to disallow medical benefits anyway....guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement