Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 04:50 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
$70k is over twice the median household income in my town.
70k in my town qualify's a family of four to live in a low income nyc housing project . i think the cut off is 72,500.00

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/nycha/eligi...igibility.page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 05:47 PM

110 posts, read 161,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
70k in my town qualify's a family of four to live in a low income nyc housing project . i think the cut off is 72,500.00

NYCHA - Eligibility
I know its not a lot but I feel very fortunate to be able to even consider making 70k in retirement. It's not an easy road nor has it been to get to this point. I couldn't even consider this if I were in Chicago.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Divorce?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I don't know. I live south of there.

Yes housing costs are low, but utilities are high. So are property taxes. And cable and phone service.

Water, electric, gas, cable, phone are about 800 a month for us. We do not have a mortgage or pay property taxes (exempt -VA).

There are so many tempting things to do in the city - festivals, shopping, restaurants - very easy to spend, spend, spend!

I'm not a spender, so it doesn't affect me.

I actually live in San Antonio and my water, electric, gas, cable and phone averages $400 per month. DH and calculated what we absolutely NEEDED to live and still eat healthy and we could easily live on $2k per month and that includes property taxes. House and cars are paid for and we have no other debt either. Now we certainly couldn't go out to eat very often or do the traveling that we'd like but we could live on 2k without any issues.

It's a good sized city with lots of free or low cost things to do for entertainment. Heck, if we just took advantage of those free meals we are offered through the mail from retirement/financial planning companies, we'd never have to pay for dining out. LOL It's INSANE how many of those offers we get in the mail every week.

You can also go shopping at our local HEB on a Saturday and have a whole meal for free just trying the samples and that includes free sample wine to go along with your sample dinner. Luckily we are in a position to not have to do this but if we really wanted to live on the cheap, there are lots of ways to do so.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Huge variation among COL regions.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
When they run these calcs what is happening to the initial investment amount? Is the 4% draw rate being taken from the investment, is it the interest earnings or mix of both?

Quote:
you forgot his social security that kicks in 13 years after he retires . he is in okay shape with ss. you don't change your draw when ss kicks in . no one who delays ss waits until 70 to spend more . rather you find a safe withdrawal rate that figures you laying out more than 4% while waiting for ss than falls to a lower level once ss kicks in . the difference in check delaying refills the money laid out.

calculators like firecalc or fidelity compute that .

firecalc looked at him drawing 70k day 1 . it then figured increases by inflation and looked at ss kicking in at 67 ,13 years later . all the while stress testing the combo

Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 AM

it is based on your original amount inflation adjusted yearly with all gains and losses calculated and then stress tested over the worst time frames to date .

if you make it through the time frames with at least a buck left you passed .

it is based on your yearly gains and losses and inflation . no averages are used .

each year over say a 30 year time frame is calculated out and then has the spending subtracted and then on to the next year.

firecalc lets you look at however many years you want to go out .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-12-2016 at 10:44 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 10:34 AM

the best withdrawal systems are dynamic ones that are in real time .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-12-2016 at 10:43 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 03:14 PM

110 posts, read 161,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
I actually live in San Antonio and my water, electric, gas, cable and phone averages $400 per month. DH and calculated what we absolutely NEEDED to live and still eat healthy and we could easily live on $2k per month and that includes property taxes. House and cars are paid for and we have no other debt either. Now we certainly couldn't go out to eat very often or do the traveling that we'd like but we could live on 2k without any issues.

It's a good sized city with lots of free or low cost things to do for entertainment. Heck, if we just took advantage of those free meals we are offered through the mail from retirement/financial planning companies, we'd never have to pay for dining out. LOL It's INSANE how many of those offers we get in the mail every week.

You can also go shopping at our local HEB on a Saturday and have a whole meal for free just trying the samples and that includes free sample wine to go along with your sample dinner. Luckily we are in a position to not have to do this but if we really wanted to live on the cheap, there are lots of ways to do so.
I think mine will be somewhere around $800 in SA but includes the savings per month for property taxes which isn't too bad really. The largest risk at the moment I see is the medical but I'll figure that out along with the other stuff.

1. Might need to work part-time (no bid deal just not all yr)
2. No more 3 cars garage
3. Need to sell a couple of cars
4. Too much furniture so need to donate some
5. Control spending...like going to dine-in movie theaters and other stuff but adds up
6. Stay out of the downtown Chart House!

Old 10-12-2016, 04:10 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNE View Post
I'll go work at Starbucks (or someplace) part-time to get medical before I ever pay 30k per yr on medical.
Actually Starbucks is one of the best "small" jobs out there, health care is just one aspect. But I like coffee so I'm sort of partial to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement