Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:13 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times

Advertisements

How wonderful that you may have found a calling that both helps others and fulfills you. When my father was in a retirement home, there was a little lady who sat next to him in the lobby each day and she was still knitting hats and gloves for the homeless (along with baby caps for premature newborns) well into her 90s. I always admired her.

I wish for you continued sunshine and smiles ... knit a bit of those into each hat and pass them on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
For those who have read any of my posts, you know I've had a tough time for awhile. Depression had me in its grips since the car accident & then my son's death.

There is a wonderful woman who lives in my building who devotes a lot of her time helping the homeless. I admired her but didn't really know her well until I went to get my mail & she & another neighbor were talking & she was bemoaning the fact she'd accidentally given away the box she kept in the laundry room for our clothing donations.

I told her I had a nice sturdy one & asked what was really needed now. She said, warm clothes, blankets & coats. Well, after my mom's passing the family gave me all her coats since I was the only one they fit. So I told her I would like to donate some of those too.

Long story short. She came to get the box & coats while I was in the process of crocheting a baby blanket for one of my younger friends. First time I resumed crocheting since my son's death. She admired my work, thanked me for the very warm coats I donated & we talked about the work she did for the homeless.

After she left it hit me. There's a lot I can't do since the car accident but I sure can crochet. So I am going to make hats & scarves first because they are quick, then I can make Afghans, which take longer. I've been crocheting since I was 16 so it's easy for me & I have a lot of yarn.

This is a win/win situation & I am excited to start. I have to finish the baby blanket first, but I am almost done.
How wonderful you've found a passion! You also are to be admired for having a talent and skill that you can use to help others.

When I get settled in my new retirement home, whenever I find one, I hope to find something like you've found. Something I can use my skills or talents for.

I understand depression. Many of us go through this after retirement, even without the troubles you've had. Helping others and finding meaning for our existence is a wonderful way to spend our later years.

Congratulations!

Old 10-13-2016, 10:19 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
For those who have read any of my posts, you know I've had a tough time for awhile. Depression had me in its grips since the car accident & then my son's death.

There is a wonderful woman who lives in my building who devotes a lot of her time helping the homeless. I admired her but didn't really know her well until I went to get my mail & she & another neighbor were talking & she was bemoaning the fact she'd accidentally given away the box she kept in the laundry room for our clothing donations.

I told her I had a nice sturdy one & asked what was really needed now. She said, warm clothes, blankets & coats. Well, after my mom's passing the family gave me all her coats since I was the only one they fit. So I told her I would like to donate some of those too.

Long story short. She came to get the box & coats while I was in the process of crocheting a baby blanket for one of my younger friends. First time I resumed crocheting since my son's death. She admired my work, thanked me for the very warm coats I donated & we talked about the work she did for the homeless.

After she left it hit me. There's a lot I can't do since the car accident but I sure can crochet. So I am going to make hats & scarves first because they are quick, then I can make Afghans, which take longer. I've been crocheting since I was 16 so it's easy for me & I have a lot of yarn.

This is a win/win situation & I am excited to start. I have to finish the baby blanket first, but I am almost done.
I have often found that having a few good girlfriends to do things with and even just chit-chat with are equal to or even better than any therapy I have ever paid for. Glad to hear you are doing something you love and have made a new friend in doing so!
BTW, I recently went thru something similar, and my PCP MD kept telling me I was depressed...I wasn't...just alone now that my two "BFFs" I told about FL and TX both checked them out then MOVED to them. I have one GF who has been my friend x 45 yrs but hadn't seen in the past 30 because we both moved away from South FL...she decided to come for a visit for a week and it was just like we'd never been apart. We went up to the NC mountains, had a blast and guess what...I'm fine...and now considering moving to Colorado to be closer to a good life-long GF. Whoda thunk it???

Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
What a nice thing to do!

Are you an animal lover? If so, and you need a change from scarves and hats once in a while, you also could make dog coats. I'm sure chihuahua rescues and shelters are always in need of them.

You could also just make an afghan and donate to a charity to raffle off or put in a gift basket. I'll bet there are a lot of ways to "volunteer" with your crocheting.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:32 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
LOVE LOVE LOVE this! What a wonderful thing you're doing.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:38 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Hi MEO

have heard that baby quilts are often appreciated in hospitals for the little patients. don't know if crochet would be the same but...

Check with your hospital first. Many of them now have rules on what they will accept (fiber content, size, etc.)

Old 10-13-2016, 10:53 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
That is wonderful.. so happy for you!

Old 10-13-2016, 11:13 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Check with your hospital first. Many of them now have rules on what they will accept (fiber content, size, etc.)
The women at Church will know the rules. They've been quilting since my grandmother went there, many years ago.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:17 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Wow, that is great Meo, thank you for your selfless work!

Old 10-13-2016, 01:07 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Trust me, this is a blessing for me. Most 'cold country' folks have a hobby & when your family goes running when they see you have another Afghan in your arms, it's time to turn somewhere else. (Just kidding)

Actually, crocheting has always been a way for me to relax. It just feels so good to want to do it again & to know what I make will be needed & appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement