U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 08:39 AM

16,023 posts, read 19,725,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Find a purpose, and the days will fill themselves; enough said!
This is so true. Helping others is such a good way to help ourselves.
Meo92953....So glad that you have found a sense of purpose with such a worthwhile cause. Perhaps if you put a notice in your church bulletin, or super market bulletins, or free local papers folks will donate their spare yarn goods to help you. Wishing you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 AM

230 posts, read 192,527 times
Meo92953 - YOU are an inspiration!

Old 10-14-2016, 11:11 AM

6,132 posts, read 9,105,896 times
Meo: My mother, in her 80s, crocheted the tops of kitchen towels into a loop to hang on the stove or fridge. She put a button on it to connect the loop. It was a great success and we sold them at craft fairs for income.

And I also received a prayer shawl from a very good friend in Delaware, during my bout with breast cancer. The church ladies made it for me and also offered up prayers for my recovery, which I know, helped me.

I have tried crochet (and knitting) but definitely am not good with my hands. Fine motor skills have left me.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:41 PM

4,986 posts, read 3,475,327 times
All good suggestions. I do have plenty of yarn. Whenever I go to a thrift store that's what I look for. My main goals right now is to finish this baby blanket (one oor two more days) and then make hood scarves, which only take me a day or two, and get them out before it gets really cold. I'd made one for myself and then all the girls/women in my family wanted one so I got really good at making them. Really helpful here in Minnesota. Nice and warm.

When I feel like I've made enough of them I'll probably do the towel ones for Bazaars. Right now, when I realized just how much I love mine when it's really cold here, I'm anxious to get them done.

One of my brother's gave me a gift of a yarn holder filled with enough yarn to make 10 variegated ones and I have a lot more to make 1 color ones. So I'm set for awhile.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM

How do I add a picture to a post? I took a picture of a hood scarf but can't figure out how to put it here and I am getting frustrated and wasting time. Help!

Old 10-15-2016, 04:45 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,769,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Find a purpose, and the days will fill themselves; enough said!

Indeed. And a good illustration is Meo's testimony. The "purpose" which different people find is quite variable. Some even claim to be quite happy and content without a purpose, that is, with complete aimlessness, but I don't understand that. I am one who needs a purpose.

I feel immensely fortunate to have found, almost by accident, my own niche working as a volunteer with fifth graders in schools. Although I am not an adherent of any organized religion, I do remember these lines from childhood: "He leadeth me beside still waters; He restoreth my soul." I felt like my soul had been restored after the first year at a particular elementary school which I have fallen in love with; now, four and a half years later, I still volunteer at that school and I still love it.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:04 PM

245 posts, read 219,783 times
Here's a very similar situation. This story appeared on one of our local TV stations. Great jobs by both ladies!

See story HERE

Old 10-15-2016, 07:18 PM

She sounds awesome. This is something I should have thought of before as I worked in a shelter for a few years. They didn't allow children but one of the things I did was help the social director distribute winter clothing, jackets, coats, etc. I never saw anything homemade although we did have many thoughtful people who would give us very nice clothing for the clients.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:22 AM

2,485 posts, read 1,083,100 times
I spend summers in VT and winters in the south. I knit and crochet all summer. Before I go, I bring a couple of bags of hats and scarves to the shelter where I volunteer, in the winter they open a "warming shelter" on cold nights.

Like you Meo I can't resist yarn in a thrift store!! This allows me to indulge my addiction to yarn and do good at the same time. I can't imagine sitting and watching TV without some handwork to do.

Down south there is a home for unwed mothers so I make baby hats while I am down there, for them.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:17 PM

Good for you VTsnowbird. I also can't just sit. I would be bored to tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or