Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 02:25 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times

Advertisements

This is wonderful that you can help yourself even as you are helping others. Thanks for this great story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 03:54 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Find a purpose, and the days will fill themselves; enough said!

Old 10-13-2016, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,529 times
This is fabulous. You have an angel who guided you to your plan of action. I wish you every success.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:22 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
What a nice thing to do!

Are you an animal lover? If so, and you need a change from scarves and hats once in a while, you also could make dog coats. I'm sure chihuahua rescues and shelters are always in need of them.

You could also just make an afghan and donate to a charity to raffle off or put in a gift basket. I'll bet there are a lot of ways to "volunteer" with your crocheting.
OP - Many blessings to you to think of others. I hope this leads you on the way to other things. Who knows, maybe you'll be guided to other volunteering opportunities!

Rowan's post made me think of Hurricane Matthew and the picture that went viral of the kitten wearing a little sweater made out of a sock!

Old 10-13-2016, 05:28 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
That is great. I have heard that there are some knitting opportunities online, for orphans in other countries also.
Regardless of where we find a niche, the best way to fill ourselves up, is to give more.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:35 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I can't knit tried many times so it's crocheting for me. I'm not pushing myself to do a lot more. I've thought of volunteering with shelter animals but am still limited on what I can do after the back operation. Still can't stand for long or sit in uncomfortable chairs for any length of time. I only stopped taking pain pills a while ago. So, I'll do what I can, as long as I can.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:38 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
We all need to feel like we are contributing and have something of value to offer society.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
For those who have read any of my posts, you know I've had a tough time for awhile. Depression had me in its grips since the car accident & then my son's death.

There is a wonderful woman who lives in my building who devotes a lot of her time helping the homeless. I admired her but didn't really know her well until I went to get my mail & she & another neighbor were talking & she was bemoaning the fact she'd accidentally given away the box she kept in the laundry room for our clothing donations.

I told her I had a nice sturdy one & asked what was really needed now. She said, warm clothes, blankets & coats. Well, after my mom's passing the family gave me all her coats since I was the only one they fit. So I told her I would like to donate some of those too.

Long story short. She came to get the box & coats while I was in the process of crocheting a baby blanket for one of my younger friends. First time I resumed crocheting since my son's death. She admired my work, thanked me for the very warm coats I donated & we talked about the work she did for the homeless.

After she left it hit me. There's a lot I can't do since the car accident but I sure can crochet. So I am going to make hats & scarves first because they are quick, then I can make Afghans, which take longer. I've been crocheting since I was 16 so it's easy for me & I have a lot of yarn.

This is a win/win situation & I am excited to start. I have to finish the baby blanket first, but I am almost done.
What a POSTIVE soul you are!!! How wonderful that you are wanting and willing to assist those in need with your talents!!!!

Old 10-13-2016, 11:10 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
My sister lost her only child to cancer. She focuses on making quilts for those less fortunate. This is healing.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:31 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
That's a good thought but for now will concentrate on keeping our homeless warm. It gets pretty cold here in Minnesota & anything I can do to keep folks warm is my goal right now. We do have a quilting group at church & I will mention it to them.
Hi Meo, my church has a "Prayer Shawl Ministry". The (mostly) ladies who choose to be in it knit or crochet shawls for those who request one, or for those in our congregation that are known to be going through some type of crisis or illness. They are then blessed before being given to the recipient. Perhaps your church would be interested in adding a "Prayer Shawl" group to their quilting group. (I am a recipient of one myself. It is very comforting to me to this day, and I am thankful for it).

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 10-13-2016 at 11:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement