U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times

Advertisements

For those who have read any of my posts, you know I've had a tough time for awhile. Depression had me in its grips since the car accident & then my son's death.

There is a wonderful woman who lives in my building who devotes a lot of her time helping the homeless. I admired her but didn't really know her well until I went to get my mail & she & another neighbor were talking & she was bemoaning the fact she'd accidentally given away the box she kept in the laundry room for our clothing donations.

I told her I had a nice sturdy one & asked what was really needed now. She said, warm clothes, blankets & coats. Well, after my mom's passing the family gave me all her coats since I was the only one they fit. So I told her I would like to donate some of those too.

Long story short. She came to get the box & coats while I was in the process of crocheting a baby blanket for one of my younger friends. First time I resumed crocheting since my son's death. She admired my work, thanked me for the very warm coats I donated & we talked about the work she did for the homeless.

After she left it hit me. There's a lot I can't do since the car accident but I sure can crochet. So I am going to make hats & scarves first because they are quick, then I can make Afghans, which take longer. I've been crocheting since I was 16 so it's easy for me & I have a lot of yarn.

This is a win/win situation & I am excited to start. I have to finish the baby blanket first, but I am almost done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:22 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
That is so great, meo, and good on you for realizing how much you have to offer. I know many homeless people through my job, and a handmade warm covering is truly appreciated and loved and uplifts that person.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Thank you, brightdoglover. It is as much a gift to me as it will be for them. I am just so grateful I have a purpose again.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:28 AM

478 posts, read 300,635 times
What a special way to give of yourself and your talent. Homemade and one of a kind!

Old 10-13-2016, 01:08 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,535,307 times
Hi MEO

have heard that baby quilts are often appreciated in hospitals for the little patients. don't know if crochet would be the same but...

Old 10-13-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Hi MEO

have heard that baby quilts are often appreciated in hospitals for the little patients. don't know if crochet would be the same but...
That's a good thought but for now will concentrate on keeping our homeless warm. It gets pretty cold here in Minnesota & anything I can do to keep folks warm is my goal right now. We do have a quilting group at church & I will mention it to them.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:40 AM

1,949 posts, read 1,536,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
For those who have read any of my posts, you know I've had a tough time for awhile. Depression had me in its grips since the car accident & then my son's death.

There is a wonderful woman who lives in my building who devotes a lot of her time helping the homeless. I admired her but didn't really know her well until I went to get my mail & she & another neighbor were talking & she was bemoaning the fact she'd accidentally given away the box she kept in the laundry room for our clothing donations.

I told her I had a nice sturdy one & asked what was really needed now. She said, warm clothes, blankets & coats. Well, after my mom's passing the family gave me all her coats since I was the only one they fit. So I told her I would like to donate some of those too.

Long story short. She came to get the box & coats while I was in the process of crocheting a baby blanket for one of my younger friends. First time I resumed crocheting since my son's death. She admired my work, thanked me for the very warm coats I donated & we talked about the work she did for the homeless.

After she left it hit me. There's a lot I can't do since the car accident but I sure can crochet. So I am going to make hats & scarves first because they are quick, then I can make Afghans, which take longer. I've been crocheting since I was 16 so it's easy for me & I have a lot of yarn.

This is a win/win situation & I am excited to start. I have to finish the baby blanket first, but I am almost done.
This is awesome, and those in need will be thankful.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:10 AM

45 posts, read 45,277 times
Quote:

I belong to several crochet groups on Facebook. Please consider joining. I think what you are doing is wonderful and you may even find women there interested. There are many crochet alongs, free patterns, inspiration and commraderie if it interests you.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:19 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,260,047 times
What a wonderful way to give of yourself. I am so happy you have found purpose and excitement.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:43 AM

100 posts, read 65,352 times
Quote:

This is awesome. Simply awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or