U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:58 PM

13,255 posts, read 6,351,451 times

Advertisements

My hair. I'm shedding lots of hair now that I'm home more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:43 PM

7,118 posts, read 8,162,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as retirement. You just change what you do.
Wow, is this ever true!

I sold a business that I had run for 35 years, and that was my "retirement". Then I found myself getting active again in a totally different field. Now, I'm running another business!

Some things, you just can't get out of your blood....

Old 10-13-2016, 09:47 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I've been retired 4 yrs, 11 months so I should be able to come up with at least one unfavorable experience but I'm drawing a blank...

Three years and five months here ... and I agree.

Now i can remember a dozen things that I did not like before I retired.

"Getting off" the holidays just does not seem as special.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:01 PM

14,046 posts, read 20,375,828 times
Default Your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I live rural...VERY expensive Obamacare
So, move to the big city.
Denver would love to have you.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:06 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
In retirement, each day is one day closer to death.

But that was true too during pre-retirement during the working decades, it's just that it was not as apparent or perhaps not a thought that ran through one's head quite as often before retirement.

Sorry to be a little morbid. It is, however, my least favorite retirement experience. Time becomes a precious commodity.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-13-2016 at 10:17 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,512,142 times
Time always was a ''precious commodity''. We were just too busy wasting it to notice! Now time is much more important to me than money, so I am enjoying my ''retirement'' or ''semi-retirement'' if you want to call it that.
I am working in my professional field, but doing contract work a few days a week.
I have lots of free time and work when I want or need to. I am applying for SS at age 62 next month so I can have more free time or more money as I choose.
I am loving it all so far and don't plan to ever be ''sittin' and rockin'''. There's so much to enjoy in the little things of everyday living and I have lots of hobbies and interests like cooking, golf, scooter riding, cycling, hiking, writing, photography, several blogs, reading, hanging out with my dogs, travel, etc.
Working the 40 grind is over forever and I feel free and happy with no particular agenda each day. No ''least favorite'' for me.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:21 AM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
Yes, I'm extremely happy with no particular agenda every day, and very happy about a zillion other things pertaining to the freedom of not working, and pursuing interests instead.

But this thread asked about something least favorite. I could say I do not have a least favorite which would be true in a sense. But it also would be ignoring the existential dilemma of what everyone faces by being alive.

(and yes, I realize some people escape some existential thought or pain by being religious)

Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 AM

3,416 posts, read 5,140,601 times
My least favorite retirement experience occurred just the day before yesterday.

I received the letter from the Pension Trust Fund informing me just how much my multi-employer defined benefit pension would be cut as of July, 2017.

It will a cut by 60%, I will get just 40% of what I get now, assuming that the US Treasury Dept. approves the changes. The last annual meeting about the plan that I attended in 2005 we were told that it was fully funded through 2049. It was in fine shape until the Wall St. bankstas wrecked the economy in 2008.

This will result in severe changes in my rather simple lifestyle. I haven't had cable or even a cell phone in years, drive a 20 year old Suburban with 200,000 miles on it, very rarely eat out mostly because I live rural and there are few places to go, haven't done any travel since retiring, am still wearing many great pairs of wool socks that I got at Costco about 18 years ago, etc. I haven't had any credit cards since 1999.

Prior to turning 65 my medical insurance was my biggest expense. It reached $1,535 per month the last year of having it.

My big extravagance since retiring 12 years ago was to get strongly involved with dog rescue, donating thousands of dollars to my local, all volunteer group, as well as volunteering many, many hours of my time, fostering over 100 dogs and adopting 11 senior dogs, some of whom have had some significant medical needs.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 AM

729 posts, read 484,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
My big extravagance since retiring 12 years ago was to get strongly involved with dog rescue, donating thousands of dollars to my local, all volunteer group, as well as volunteering many, many hours of my time, fostering over 100 dogs and adopting 11 senior dogs, some of whom have had some significant medical needs.
This. This is what I want to do in 17 years when I retire.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:08 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,512,325 times
Wife and I retired in 1997; we were young; I was 53; she a few years older. Great retirement until 2011 when wife showed first signs of dementia. That poor soul suffered for 3 1/2 years and I along with her.

So my worst retirement experience was her sickness and death, with my current desolation the second worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or