Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:20 AM

100 posts, read 88,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Of course losing my wife was the worst but I came through that in one piece and reinvented my life on a different track. But otherwise, it is mostly a few health issues that hold my attention too much. Generally, life is good. Going on a road trip today for a week and will do some fishing if the weather holds.
You're my new hero. Anyone who can deal with grief and stay in one piece is to be admired. I'd be interested in hearing more about how you reinvented yourself. Perhaps you can start another thread on that subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 11:03 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as retirement. You just change what you do.

Few people go from working 60 hrs/week to watching reruns of Wheel of Fortune 60/hrs/week.

You apply the disciplines learned from a lifetime of working to your professional life.

Some of it is deciding what you will do, then create 5 year plans, 1 year plans, quarterly plans and monthly plans. Then execute your plan. Of course, it is OK to change your plan -- but have a plan.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:11 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Actually nothing comes to mind except minor issues (as of now) with aging. Compared to working and the stress that entailed, it is nirvana.

It is important to stay active. We walk the neighborhood daily, work in our yard, go to concerts (particularly outdoors), try out new ethnic restaurants, browse the library for interesting books, enjoy visiting our grown kids and make detailed plans for a major trip each year in addition to shorter ones.

We make a point of doing something special every week. It doesn't have to cost money - even walking through a different park can be uplifting. To me, it is most important to get out of the house and away from the tv! It is increasingly obvious to me how short life really is.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:21 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
If you had a job where you can do volunteer work in it, then this helps. Or if you have a really gregarious personality.

If you worked in a job where you had to have licences and certifications that you can't get now, that no one volunteers doing, you may find it harder to feel useful in retirement.

And if you have hobbies and activities that are unusual and thus you can't find other people with similar skills(especially if you are way better at them than anyone you know anywhere), then it can be hard.

I never regretted retiring, or moving 700 miles from my previous place of living, but the effort to feel useful and to be valued for how I help has been much harder to get than where I spent a 40 career doing.

For me its very important that I do things to help people grow, and not just have endless fun.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:56 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
By yourself?

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Thanks. Yeah -- I'm at peace with myself and often travel on my own. I just got back from a 12 day trip home for a family reunion - on Amtrak. There's always new people to meet and things to learn. I keep several blogs and write a lot and enjoy photography. New Mexico is perfect for that.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
least favorite?

when the 'direct deposits stopped'

now 'everything' flows OUT

Been 10.5 yrs OUT, (32 yrs service; No pension, no HC) yet a LONG time remains to get to SS / Medicare age (staying lucky so far... just one broken leg on last birthday, 1st broken bone came on the day AFTER insurance of 40+ yrs expired)

I do 'miss' paid vacations

Old 10-13-2016, 12:36 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
least favorite?

when the 'direct deposits stopped'

now 'everything' flows OUT

Been 10.5 yrs OUT, (32 yrs service; No pension, no HC) yet a LONG time remains to get to SS / Medicare age (staying lucky so far... just one broken leg on last birthday, 1st broken bone came on the day AFTER insurance of 40+ yrs expired)

I do 'miss' paid vacations

Looked into Obamacare?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:57 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Thanks. Yeah -- I'm at peace with myself and often travel on my own. I just got back from a 12 day trip home for a family reunion - on Amtrak. There's always new people to meet and things to learn. I keep several blogs and write a lot and enjoy photography. New Mexico is perfect for that.
You're my hero

Old 10-13-2016, 01:38 PM

588 posts, read 463,102 times
It is uncanny to stand at the hostess station with others that are 45 or so years younger than me. I have decided to just stand back and listen. It really is an education. Was I really like that....I don't think so...really. They ***** that they have two jobs. They ***** that they are so tired. They ***** that their dad or boyfriend had to overhaul their car.

Lord....what are they going to do when no one is there to do the heavy lifting?

This is my fun job after leaving corporate America. I think I must be doing this job just for the shear experience of experiencing
1. being invisible...which has its many perks...believe me...if they don't realize that you are there it is amazing what you can listen to...ha ha!
2. having the guests look to me for anything that has any kind of thought process to it. I am a lowly hostess but the guests gravitate to me. Go figure!
3. I get to wear all the lovely outfits that if I did not have this job of looking like I just came out of a band box they would rot in my closet
4. They may have long flowing golden hair, blue eyes and no need to wear glasses but shoot I got the clothes and bling!

So retirement is not so bad....I just found out where I can find information on anybody that works there...the Hispanic staff. THEY know EVERYTHING! They like me and have been filling me in.

Gotta love retirement!

TMKSarah

Old 10-13-2016, 02:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Looked into Obamacare?
I live rural, the BANE of the left wing... we don't vote as a majority, so we have no reresentation, no HS internet and VERY expensive Obamacare. $1800/ month for 2. so... we are without HC.

Medivacations and HC sharing network

Spouse has chronic / terminal issues, so this too is 'short-term' (as are all of us....)

Should reduce the time required for caregiving, BTDT for 32 yrs for a disabled parent. (Worn out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement