Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:29 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Having my body deteriorate like an old car...and I was always the one who watched my diet, exercised, never smoked...now, 7 surgeries in 6 years, wth?

Losing my sister & 2 good friends sucked, also.
That's always the way it seems.
Healthy eating and exercise won't save you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In retirement, each day is one day closer to death.

But that was true too during pre-retirement during the working decades, it's just that it was not as apparent or perhaps not a thought that ran through one's head quite as often before retirement.

Sorry to be a little morbid. It is, however, my least favorite retirement experience. Time becomes a precious commodity.
Agree!

Especially when your contemporaries are dropping.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I'm sure my least favorite experience, at least early in retirement, will be decluttering my home and getting it ready to put on the market, selling it, and the process of relocating and finding a rental with a cat in tow.
You can hire an Estate Sale co.

Many people do that here.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:16 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
i had to set my alarm this past summer to catch a flight.
i feel you brah

Old 10-14-2016, 05:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
i had to set my alarm this past summer to catch a flight.
After weeks / months / years of endless Saturdays ... that would suck!

Old 10-15-2016, 12:05 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Calvert-
I can relate somewhat. In spite of my own personal satisfaction as mentioned, I also am a 24/7 caregiver for my spouse who had a stroke last winter and is mostly wheelchair bound after retiring 3 years ago.
Our ''dreams'' of retiring got redefined due to that and though we talk about I doubt we will ever travel and live the carefree daily life that was once hoped for.
It is what it is and it's what we are given. We just have to make the most of it and go forward and enjoy the years that we have left as best as we can.
There are many wheelchair-bound travelers and destinations. That shouldn't stop you or her. Since she is only "mostly wheelchair bound," is there a chance she could use a scooter, a self-propelled wheelchair, or does she need you to push her? Even that shouldn't stop the two of you.

She obviously still has the art of conversation. Our friend who had a stroke can't do that. He's so frustrated.
(He can walk all over the place, but if I had my choice, if I had a stroke, I'd rather lose my mobility than my ability to communicate.)

So she cannot live the carefree life you both wish she could. It's very unfortunate, but there's still so much you can do. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2016, 02:26 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Now that I really need wrinkle cream, our budget doesn't allow it!

Old 10-15-2016, 08:08 AM

372 posts, read 521,897 times
Being forced into early retirement at the age of 58 during the Crash when my job was eliminated and no one would hire me. During the next four years, I suffered two-back-to-back injuries requiring major surgery, acquiring tens of thousands of dollars of medical debt (I lost my health insurance, too).

Old 10-15-2016, 10:12 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I miss talking to my coworkers and having some alone time. We are always together and that took some getting used to. I've always had unusual sleep habits that are getting even worse now that I don't have any structure and a set sleep time.

Nothing is all good and nothing is all bad, but the good of retirement far outweighs the bad. I have zero desire to go back to work and run my fanny into the ground in an assembly line factory hospital. I'll talk to my coworkers on Facebook.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:27 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
I mentioned the health thing. Last night more health related talk amongst us at a local gathering. People going in for tests, awaiting dire news. Having to cut back on activities because they just don't feel good.

This morning on another outing - more of the same.!!! Sheesh - makes me just want to stay in bed, but I think it is better to just stay busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement