U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 12:29 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,525,009 times

Advertisements

I went to San Francisco a couple of years ago and realized that I am going to have to get up to speed on technology if I want to travel efficiently after retirement. Without being enrolled in an electronic toll collection program, I was unable to use certain bridges or roads. If I missed an exit, it was very hard to backtrack using my paper maps. Having poor night vision did not help. Once in the city without a rental car, I was unable to look up public transportation routes on my small laptop ahead of time in the hotel. The information on routes was organized by indicating your start and finish destinations and the time of day so was more appropriate to a smart phone. I ended up walking a lot which cut into my sightseeing time. Another area where a smart phone would come in handy is buying tickets for popular attractions (that tend to sell out) while you are out sightseeing and in the vicinity and better know your schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 02:07 PM

10,290 posts, read 4,868,671 times
I would be lost without my iPhone. It has all my contacts and I use it for banking, googling, texting, etc. I have an older laptop for this forum and for times when I have to type a letter as I still can't type as fast on my phone. I use the voice activated command for most of my texts. I can even tell Siri "call John at work" and I don't even have to take my eyes off the road if I happen to be driving.

We gave my mother an iPhone for her 80th birthday last year. She still hasn't figured out how to use it but she never worked with a computer either. My son works for Apple and he says the biggest problem some seniors have is remembering their password! :-)

Old 10-17-2016, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,455,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, maybe we don't "get" how to build one or most of how to repair one but almost all of us under age 75 know how to use one.

And computers are not obsolete if you have work to do. Smartphones are okay for playing games or doing simple lookups, texting--you can do lots of things on a phone, but if you need to write a long paper or do serious research, you need a screen that's big enough to read easily. Keys to type on help too. I would imagine that graphics would need a larger screen too.
True, but a tablet will work for this. My work computer is a Surface, with docking station, dual 22" monitors, full keyboard and mouse. Still, I can take it with me to a meeting, on a business trip or home and use it to get into the work system and do anything I can do in my office.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 AM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
True, but a tablet will work for this. My work computer is a Surface, with docking station, dual 22" monitors, full keyboard and mouse. Still, I can take it with me to a meeting, on a business trip or home and use it to get into the work system and do anything I can do in my office.
Yeh, I can only dream of being able to afford all of that but it could do the job. My reply was to someone who said you could do everything on a phone.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:47 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,281,254 times
I am very much a late adopter….for the most part only adopting a technology if I have a need to be filled at the time.
-- only got a computer in 2007, and still have the same one. Only got it because I was looking for a job. And couldn't keep going to the library to check e-mail. Solution: get my own computer.

-- still have a flip phone. It works. Are there times when a smart phone would help. Sure but usually everyone I'm with hs one so I just ask them to use theirs. (They haven't tired of me being a parasite yet). No having my own hasn't been THAT much of a hindrance, so I haven't gotten one.

-- only got a tablet, when I thought my computer might be in the shop. The laptop never go in the shop, so noes I have a tablet I NEVER use.

-- the home thermostat the HVAC guy put in three years ago is "digital" -- I think. I know I can "program it" for day parts. Does that mean it's "digital?" Don't know if 'digital' and 'programmable' mean the same thing in this context.

-- still have tube TVs with the big backs sticking out
-- have to cheap (under $40) digital cameras I've never used. I still just buy cheap disposables. Drop them off at the pharmacy and pick up the photos. Although I HAVE used the photo kiosks there.

Off the top of my head that's about as tech savvy as I've become so far.

Last edited by selhars; 10-17-2016 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 11:54 AM

1,802 posts, read 3,836,000 times
We started with computers when it was ms-DOS. We got a computer built for us with a 30GB hard drive and really splurged for a color monitor! Anyway decided to get one when our daughter started to express an interest in computers as we wanted her to have access to one. Can't remember exactly but it was back in the early 90s sometime. She is now a software and systems engineer and is currently working in cyber security, so I guess it was worth it.

DH and I, though, have differing levels. We both have laptops, but his is probably pushing 10 years old still with XP, and mine is about 1.5 years with Win8.1. Updated to 10 but had so many problems I downgraded. He has a flip phone and I have a smartphone (I'm on my DD's plan so not high cost). I do everything I can on the computer and he has me do all his stuff, but would rather do most things the old way. He basically uses it to read the new, email and do puzzles and Solitaire. I am trying to get him to use Facebook to connect with people who has the same interests, but that has been a giant failure. I don't use Twitter, although I have an account, or Instagram as I don't want to keep getting messages all the time on the phone, although I guess I could get them on the computer. I do use the phone for quite a few things but not near a much as I could as we actually have a limited amount of data on it and since I share with DD I don't want to use a lot. But I sure do love being able to deposit checks in the bank with it!! DH still gets paper checks so that's really helpful. I know we aren't really geeky but I guess we do more than a lot of people on our computer. Although I do understand about the person who was lost when his wife died and she did everything. I have that fear, but he doesn't want to learn. I guess he will just have to get our DD to help him out.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:27 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Even the seniors who are not tech literate often have someone who can help. One of my grandmothers can only pay a utility bill electronically - my aunt set her account up online to ACH that bill from her checking account every month.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:07 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,546,296 times
I wrote financial programs in Cobol for a bank, even did a small system all by myself. The bank people stuffed us in a closed bank building, and really hated having to consult on their systems. When I was there, one of my coworkers had a Mac. I don't think desktop Ibm's were yet in existance, at least for a home.

I embrassed the first PC's gladly. My turboxt was the fastest one at the computer show. It even lasted ten years with its green screen, pre windows system. I'll never forget sitting there with the modem dialing until it got in on a popular bbs. Next pc was almost a window's system, but not quite there. I've had a series of window's machines, last group laptops. I buy them used and keep a working backup. Don't know what I'd do without my computer.

Have a tablet but it was too hard to use, and somewhere have the audible tablet which got stuffed in a box when clearing the living room. About to get a new one.

Even the tv has a connection and I can FINALLY see netflix on a real screen.

I can't imagine not having computers sitting around the house. I would have gladly had one back at the bank. But I do remember checking out the Raido Shack ones when they were new, and had one sitting out to play with.

There's one bill I monitor closely for mistakes, and call that one in. Since they made the call in a LONG phone call, I get the balance and then pay it online. Buy music and listen to you tube threads from the computer. Feel terribly anxious when there is a problem with my favorite toy/helper.

I'm sure I would have believed them if anyone had told me these many years ago that I'd have multiple computers come the revolution. My son is part of the generation which has never not had them.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:00 AM

1,137 posts, read 570,166 times
I think the level of technology people are comfortable with could be closely associated to their type of work. As an engineer, I use computers all the time, DW was an electronics R&D prototype tech when she used to work. These careers filtered into daily life. Tech Limits?? I deliberately said 'NO' to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to my home systems; work is work, home is mostly for 'play' . I do have access to my company email on my smartphone, that is as involved as I care to go there.

All our finances are online; bill-pay, retirement accts, banking, etc. For play, (not counting transient laptops), DW and I have 4 systems networked at home, one as an image/media server for our digital cameras and music/videos, one dedicated for electronic/mechanical CAD, and two browsers and game systems. I have a full electronics lab (scopes/analyzers, microscope and static SMT workstations) for building/upgrading systems- and even repairing them when they break. We buy laptops, but I build all the rest of the systems from scratch. We ran out of space on our personal computers for RAW images, and now use network backup for our media. Also we have so many music CDs it was getting ridiculous, so we started ripping them to store MP3 playlists on our phones. When we retire, we will tackle the vinyl conversions (too many to do with our current available time). With Bluetooth and USB interfaces in the car (one doesn't even have a CD player in it ), it is the easiest way to listen to our favorite music when on trips. We love photography, but a couple weeks outing can kill a hard-drive quickly...even a 2TB system. To make matters worse, a) I like RAW HDR photography, and that is a killer, and b) I am getting more and more into music production using synthesizers, real guitars/piano with computer-based multi-track recording. That also pounds on our storage requirements. Don't know about DW, but I am a tech addict. Even when we go hiking, the cameras come along.

Tech manufacturers LOVE u$.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:51 AM

7,101 posts, read 3,461,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would be lost without my iPhone. It has all my contacts and I use it for banking, googling, texting, etc. I have an older laptop for this forum and for times when I have to type a letter as I still can't type as fast on my phone. I use the voice activated command for most of my texts. I can even tell Siri "call John at work" and I don't even have to take my eyes off the road if I happen to be driving.
We are debating getting a smart phone.

One q. I have is re: security.

You have EVERYTHING on the phone which you carry around EVERYWHERE. Our laptop and netbook, are secure at my home...yes theft is possible (though not likely), given the ages of both these items and their low-end brands.

But a new I-Phone....those are highly desired by thieves, no?? And with all the data (banking, etc.)....what if someone snatches it if I leave it behind somewhere or takes it out of my car or home?? How safe is my data on an I-phone (or other smart phone)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement