U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times

Advertisements

After reading, I'm sold on getting a $50 Dot - not much to lose and sounds like fun to try out...maybe even useful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 08:57 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,894,156 times
I have our Echo voice control most of the houses lights. It is nice if you can just turn on off and set dimmer levels by voice. Speaker system sounds nice for Sunday morning lite jazz!

Old 10-16-2016, 09:34 AM

7,287 posts, read 15,339,626 times
I have an Echo, which I got for the intro price of $99. We use it mostly as an expensive electronic toy. Timer/alarm, weather report, shopping list, occasional music (like another poster, I have a Sonos for most music), occasional cooking questions. We tried using it to control some lights but the combo didn't work reliably (I don't think the problem was Alexa, I think it was the controller).

Old 10-16-2016, 10:38 AM

30,671 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Before seeing this thread, we had never heard of an Amazon Echo before. I googled it and it looks interesting.

A few months ago our eldest son and his wife were out for a visit, it was interesting to see how dependent they have gotten on their smartphones with 'siri'. Each day's road trip, they needed to ask siri a bunch of questions before hand at the house. So their smart phones could front-load maps and data using our home wifi connection. Once we got to driving, obviously their smart phones had no connection. They could track where we were, but had no access to any other data unless it was loaded up before we left the house.

So this 'Echo' sounds a lot like that a stationary siri for in your house.

Can you ask it to make a cup of Earl Grey ?

Old 10-16-2016, 10:52 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

So their smart phones could front-load maps and data using our home wifi connection. Once we got to driving, obviously their smart phones had no connection. They could track where we were, but had no access to any other data unless it was loaded up before we left the house.
The phone app WAZE is wonderful for directions, even giving you a heads up for traffic and potholes and tells you if there's a police officer ahead. No need to load it ahead, it's never not worked for me. Love it!

Old 10-16-2016, 11:03 AM

30,671 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
The phone app WAZE is wonderful for directions, even giving you a heads up for traffic and potholes and tells you if there's a police officer ahead. No need to load it ahead, it's never not worked for me. Love it!
Their Ipads worked fine inside our house, we have wifi in our house. Unless someone puts a wifi transmitter outside somewhere, there is little wifi signal to receive for the Ipad to work well like that.

If you drive into a big city, you may have cellphone towers, so you could get some cellphone signal.

Our son is a truck driver, he has his routines worked out for what he does when he is urban and can get cellphone signal, as compared to what he does most of the time without cellphone signal.

Our town has one cellphone tower, but it's service provider is not compatible with the cellphone provider that they use in their hometown area. Most towns around us do not have cellphone towers.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:49 AM

981 posts, read 1,093,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I have an Echo, which I got for the intro price of $99. We use it mostly as an expensive electronic toy. Timer/alarm, weather report, shopping list, occasional music (like another poster, I have a Sonos for most music), occasional cooking questions. We tried using it to control some lights but the combo didn't work reliably (I don't think the problem was Alexa, I think it was the controller).
that's a good deal.
Yesterday at Best Buy they were selling it for $179.00. I looked online, and that seems to be the price it is selling for.
Could someone tell me what is the difference between Echo and Sonos?

and be gentle - I am pretty low-tech.

thanks.

I will repeat the post I just made at another forum asking about Echo, before I saw this thread:
My situation:
no regular old-fashioned radio reception in my bldg.
Desktop is in living room; kitchen is where I want to hear.
I have wifi - the whole building was rigged for wifi by optimum.

I can of course livestream on my computer (when I get a new one anyway) bazillions of radio stations.
But if I make it loud enough to hear in the kitchen while i'm washing dishes etc, it may disturb neighbors.

so I went to best buy to look for wireless speakers.
the blue tooth ones they said only work within 3 feet of the source.

Then he showed me Echo.

Hands-free I can command it to get radio, music, etc.
(particularly cool bec. my hands will be busy in the kitchen)
It is not bluetooth so is not limited to 3 feet range.

Is there any downside to Echo that I should know about?

Cuz I tell you - I am in love.

thanks.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:00 PM

16,720 posts, read 14,684,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Another ''need'' created where there is none.
So move along then.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:01 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
So I've had my DOT for a week now, One thing I noticed it does not pickup my WakeUP Word at the range/volume my Echo does.

I need to be closer or louder to the DOT for it to wakeup and hear me. Requests seem to work at normal voice once its awake. But still happy with them.

Now have 3,

Echo in Kitchen Dinning Living room (Open FloorPlan)
DOT in MasterBedroom & Home Office

Btw: The DOT have bluetooth built in (Have not used it yet).

Old 10-26-2016, 05:06 PM

956 posts, read 1,297,528 times
I loved my Echo when it first came out of the box.

Bluetooth capability quit a couple months after I bought it. Then the Echo would only respond about every third or fourth time I marched up to it and shouted at it (in a quiet house with no background noise). Then it quit responding at all. I plugged and unplugged it many times, reset it, worked though initial setup more times than I bothered to count etc. I finally got it to sort of work again (responding about one out of every four times I shout at it, have to reset from scratch every couple of weeks, nobluetooth at all) but it's more than a year since I bought it so my understanding is that no warranty remains.

All in all - meh. From what I've read, Dot is a feebler version of Echo, so No Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or