U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 AM

231 posts, read 170,891 times

Advertisements

Just my opinion but if you are disabled its a good thing otherwise/why does anyone need it.

Yes,just got a cell phone?

Very untecky but very active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,838,667 times
We just got a couple of Wemo devices that work with the Echo to turn on and off anything plugged into them. It's handy for lights that are clear across the room from where you enter, for safety. Wemo also has it's own app so that you can program a schedule (like the old plug in timers) but more sophisticated and able to be accessed remotely from your phone. We will use that to turn various lights on and off while traveling to make our home seem occupied. You can turn a light on for just a minute or two and turn it off as someone would when moving around the house. You can also plug any other device into it that you would like to control remotely. We recently installed two Smart Cam security cameras that can be viewed remotely through our laptop, tablets, or cell phones. They can be set to record any motion detected in a defined space in the cameras' viewing area. We will probably get a Nest thermostat soon too.

I think these devices are stepping stones on the path to eventually having a fully automated "home of the future" where such things will be wired in and everything electrical will be controllable by voice or remote app including things like window blinds that will open and close by voice command, ceiling fans that can be programmed, etc. Over time these things will probably become standard features in new build homes, just as pre-wiring for security systems became common in the 80's. They will prove to be a huge assistance to the disabled and as safety devices for the elderly. Right now, with the "Call my buddy" feature, and a Smart Cam, it will make checking up on your elderly parent so much easier. I think if I had a teen I might "forget" to tell them that I can view what's going on in the home from wherever I am. ;^)

Old 02-21-2017, 06:45 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,509,293 times
Data-mining, eaves-dropping, who knows what else. Creepy as all get out. Wouldn't think of having one in my environment. This is where I draw the tech line.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Data-mining, eaves-dropping, who knows what else. Creepy as all get out. Wouldn't think of having one in my environment. This is where I draw the tech line.
I had a passing thought or two about that, but decided that our life is pretty public as it is and we really have nothing to hide if they did use it that way.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,509,293 times
Still, it creeps me out. Just the feeling of someone/something listening to my every word. Sort of like living or working in a haunted house or office where you feel like someone is watching you all the time *shiver*
No thanks! LOL

Old 05-20-2017, 06:26 AM

662 posts, read 478,206 times
Default had to share

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/13/sn...nior-citizens/

Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 AM

7,664 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I think these devices are stepping stones on the path to eventually having a fully automated "home of the future" where such things will be wired in and everything electrical will be controllable by voice or remote app including things like window blinds that will open and close by voice command, ceiling fans that can be programmed, etc. Over time these things will probably become standard features in new build homes, just as pre-wiring for security systems became common in the 80's. They will prove to be a huge assistance to the disabled and as safety devices for the elderly. Right now, with the "Call my buddy" feature, and a Smart Cam, it will make checking up on your elderly parent so much easier. I think if I had a teen I might "forget" to tell them that I can view what's going on in the home from wherever I am. ;^)
Ever see one of those "Home of the Future" places that were built in the Sixties? They always have the built-in NuTone intercoms that people used for about five minutes, then gave up on.

Built-ins aren't smart because they obsolete quickly. That's why home devices today aren't wired in -- they use wireless.

The ceiling fans and window blinds you reference are already on the market.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:51 AM

7,664 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I don't know about that.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:23 PM

2,434 posts, read 1,668,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I laughed so hard, thank you! I loved the bit about calling her any name even remotely close to Alexa. And the temperature already being 100 degrees.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I laughed so hard, thank you! I loved the bit about calling her any name even remotely close to Alexa. And the temperature already being 100 degrees.
We got a good laugh at that too. I loved the 60's styling with woodgrain and pierced metal speaker covers, just like the large console stereos of the 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or