U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,307,278 times

Advertisements

Good for you, im sure you'll be very happy there, we also looked there and were impressed w/ the area but in the end, decided on another part of FL but we have friends there who have lived there for yrs and are very happy there too, they're always playing cards or going on day trips or doing something interesting, there's tons of clubs there including softball, woodworking, crafts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happinow View Post
Hi. We just got back from The Villages (Oct 5th 2001) and bought a plot of land and are building our dream home on a golf course. We fell in love with the area. Trust me, you will never get board and there is tons to do. I have no friends either and plan on making many when we move there next spring. You will fall in love with the lifestyle and the people. So much to do with activities, dining, movies, shopping....everything you could want. I urge you to check it out. We are building in Sumpter Landing. Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,734,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Good for you, im sure you'll be very happy there, we also looked there and were impressed w/ the area but in the end, decided on another part of FL but we have friends there who have lived there for yrs and are very happy there too, they're always playing cards or going on day trips or doing something interesting, there's tons of clubs there including softball, woodworking, crafts etc.

I have several friends that live in the Villages. They are very happy.

Along these lines, there are several chats under Real Estate about HOA's. My advice to anyone is to read and understand the HOA Covenants. Some will chafe under the restrictions. Others, like myself, have no issues with them.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:32 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,080,480 times
A couple years ago, my wife and I toured about a half a dozen "active adult communities" for future reference. We are a few years from retirement.
The last place we visited was The Villages.

No question, you can get a better bang for your buck, when it comes to homes. But,IMHO, there is no other place that comes close in terms of overall quality of life. The wife and I are looking to be very active, and villages fits the bill.

In fact, we now own three homes there. We rent them out long term to retirees that are not sure if they are ready to buy.

The wife is ready to move NOW. I'm a bit more conservative, and want to wait till I'm closer to my actual retirement date.

For those who are curious, I'd suggest the "Life Style" tour. For about the price of a moderate hotel, you"ll get a new home, golf cart, free rounds of golf, free restaurant and movie tickets. You can stay 3 - 5 days for about $200.00 a day. And there is NO pressure. In fact we had to chase the salesman down to get a tour. They know, the place sells itself.
Go on their website for more info.
The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown

Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 AM

3,802 posts, read 9,728,404 times
I thought I would resurrect my previous post on our experience during a Lifestyle Preview visit to The Villages in February 2011.

An overview of our visit to The Villages, FL

Old 10-16-2011, 01:56 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,691,075 times
Smile That's what we would like to do someday....(maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
AIn fact, we now own three homes there. We rent them out long term to retirees that are not sure if they are ready to buy.

[/url]

We'd like to buy a property there, rent it out and visit it once a year to check it out and little by little, see if living there would be for us.

We live in Southern Florida on the east coast and there's a lot to do but our communities are more mixed and we may get to the point someday where we feel out of place. We don't feel that way yet but maybe someday.

Most of our neighbors on our street are our age or older so we fit in well. But that's now. Who knows?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,080,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We'd like to buy a property there, rent it out and visit it once a year to check it out and little by little, see if living there would be for us.

We live in Southern Florida on the east coast and there's a lot to do but our communities are more mixed and we may get to the point someday where we feel out of place. We don't feel that way yet but maybe someday.

Most of our neighbors on our street are our age or older so we fit in well. But that's now. Who knows?
I've been in various forms of the real estate industry for over 30 years.
The villages is a very unique market, and I encourage you to take a look.
Best wishes

Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,734,134 times
Friends of mine that live in the Villages and Sun City, Hilton Head, SC both say: they were not just buying a home, they were buying a life style.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,764 times
Default bikervik

impossible to be lonely in the Villages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We are looking at this community for a 2nd home possibility. I don't know if we are too young for this area - we just want a very active area when we fully retire but are looking for friendships, lot of activities and things to do. We like having people over, going to the movies, nice dinner, evening out, etc. We have not done as much as we would like of this so....we have worked a lot and while we enjoy what we do, I am worried about making new friends, having stuff to do.

If you live in The Villages and know someone who does, can you comment? You can be blunt - that's what we want to know. We are not real cheap-cheap type people, we are just in the middle, very easy going but I just don't want to get somewhere and be lonely.

We are probably at least 10 years away but could buy a 2nd home somewhere and really get to know the area. We are also considering a couple of other areas too.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 PM

164 posts, read 591,339 times
Just make sure you do all your homework .

Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,775 times
I have relatives who live there full time; they love it. Always something to do.
Golf carts are a fun way to travel, just like a midway ride; but beware. They
need to make all golf pathways separate from the roadways.
I also have friends who only live there in the winter and very congested. But
they also love it, too.
You can have as many friends as you want.
Pools are a great way to meet people.
Many activities from archery to the PJ club to singing.
Pretty expensive, though.
I just found out you can rent a week or a month or whatever you want online.
Try that, first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or