U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 AM

497 posts, read 521,514 times

Advertisements

And you will always be paying for the things you do not do. All that convenience and personnel does not come cheap. Your HOA is $1560 per year!. My friend just bought a home complete with pool in a golf course community with many other things to do...tennis, golf, of course, activities and her HOA is $130 per year and $30 a month for a dining membership. Her real estate taxes....$1200 per year, less than the Villages HOA....something to think about as you age. Sounds like assisted living for the ambulatory to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:02 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
It would seem to me that living in an out-of-the-way place like The Villages would be very inconvenient if you enjoyed some of the offerings of a larger city (Broadway plays, symphony, art/museums, major league sports, major airport nearby). I'm sure the Villages brings in entertainers, but larger cities have much to offer.

I've decided to live in a smaller over-55 community near Tampa.

Valencia Lakes in Tampa, Florida - A GL Homes Community

Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

I've decided to live in a smaller over-55 community near Tampa.

Valencia Lakes in Tampa, Florida - A GL Homes Community
Are you living there now? Full time? When we were in that area a year and a half ago we visited Valencia Lakes and was impressed. But it was the first time we looked at a place and are a very long way from deciding.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:48 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,739,306 times
We all have needs and desires. I would not consider a retirement village unless it had golf courses and I could use/commute with my own golf cart versus needing a car. That is just me.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
We all have needs and desires. I would not consider a retirement village unless it had golf courses and I could use/commute with my own golf cart versus needing a car. That is just me.
Just because a community has golf courses doesn't correlate to being able to get around using a golf cart. I don't doubt such communities exist but I'd propose they're rare.

I've never visited The Villages but have spent times in other retirement communities which extensively market their several golf courses, and I have yet to find one in which golf carts are both a safe and pragmatic means of travel in general.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:24 PM

419 posts, read 658,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Just because a community has golf courses doesn't correlate to being able to get around using a golf cart. I don't doubt such communities exist but I'd propose they're rare.

I've never visited The Villages but have spent times in other retirement communities which extensively market their several golf courses, and I have yet to find one in which golf carts are both a safe and pragmatic means of travel in general.
Golf carts are allowed on the roads that do not exceed 35 miles an hour here in the original Sun City, AZ as well as the other Del Webb communities of Sun City West & Sun City Grand. The carts must be adapted to road travel meaning they must be wired for lights and maybe some other requirements as well as being licensed.

People drive these carts to the grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, drs. offices, retail strip centers, rec. centers and golf courses. In fact, there are designated parking spots in the parking lots for these carts. Yes, there are accidents and an occasional fatality, but not so frequent that there is any threat of banning them from the roads.

Most people have gas powered carts because of the ability of higher speeds. Only electric powered carts are allowed on the golf courses.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:47 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,739,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Golf carts are allowed on the roads that do not exceed 35 miles an hour here in the original Sun City, AZ as well as the other Del Webb communities of Sun City West & Sun City Grand. The carts must be adapted to road travel meaning they must be wired for lights and maybe some other requirements as well as being licensed.

People drive these carts to the grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, drs. offices, retail strip centers, rec. centers and golf courses. In fact, there are designated parking spots in the parking lots for these carts. Yes, there are accidents and an occasional fatality, but not so frequent that there is any threat of banning them from the roads.

Most people have gas powered carts because of the ability of higher speeds. Only electric powered carts are allowed on the golf courses.
Is the same in Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton) SC. Golf carts all over the streets.

While not a retirement location, I know of several golf clubs where one can use their own golf carts. They pay the club a trail fee. SC Law allows golf carts on non State Highway roads so many drive them from their home to the course

Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Are you living there now? Full time? When we were in that area a year and a half ago we visited Valencia Lakes and was impressed. But it was the first time we looked at a place and are a very long way from deciding.
Yep - the people I talk to who golf but live in a non-golfing community usually had concerns about golf courses affecting their HOAs. Locally, the Sun City Center community has had problems w/ their courses. Had to shut one down, and the others were purchased by a Canadian management company. Some people just aren't enamored by either golf carts running around everywhere or living right next to golf courses.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,913,849 times
Not sure what the big objection to golf carts would be. We have quite a few residents who drive golf carts around my community, and so far it hasn't been a problem. No traffic fatalities, and as far as I know we've had no traffic accidents with them either. I wouldn't drive them on the parkway, but otherwise they seem fine.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Yep - the people I talk to who golf but live in a non-golfing community usually had concerns about golf courses affecting their HOAs. Locally, the Sun City Center community has had problems w/ their courses. Had to shut one down, and the others were purchased by a Canadian management company. Some people just aren't enamored by either golf carts running around everywhere or living right next to golf courses.
Nor would I be enamored by it. We do not golf and do not want to be paying for those who golf. It's the one question I usually ask when we visited 55+ communities. Seems like many of them are set up so those who want to golf do pay for it on top of other fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or