U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 PM

4,845 posts, read 8,303,095 times

Advertisements

We are looking at this community for a 2nd home possibility. I don't know if we are too young for this area - we just want a very active area when we fully retire but are looking for friendships, lot of activities and things to do. We like having people over, going to the movies, nice dinner, evening out, etc. We have not done as much as we would like of this so....we have worked a lot and while we enjoy what we do, I am worried about making new friends, having stuff to do.

If you live in The Villages and know someone who does, can you comment? You can be blunt - that's what we want to know. We are not real cheap-cheap type people, we are just in the middle, very easy going but I just don't want to get somewhere and be lonely.

We are probably at least 10 years away but could buy a 2nd home somewhere and really get to know the area. We are also considering a couple of other areas too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 04:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 9,213,416 times
have you gotten on TalkoftheVillages.com yet? would be an interesting place to ask questions. There sure seems to be a lot of stuff to do for a couple.

However, my research has found it is quite expensive when required fees, taxes and insurance are all counted in. Be sure you really want what is there and will use what you are required to pay for. Make sure you ask a lot of questions about the future of the "HOA" type groups.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:48 PM

Smile Living in The Villages

Thanks for that website. They send me their monthly newsletter also. Just wanted to see if someone had personal experience.

Where we live - it has a HOA but has been fine. I know they can get out of hand but thanks for the suggestion!

The sales rep are very gung-ho and a lot of what they say is probably quite true so we are taking that into consideration. We just don't want to miss out and then in 10 years, when a lot of other baby boomers have already bought - higher prices, built out, etc.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:44 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,078,831 times
I have friends that lived in Va. for many years, moved into the Villages both over 60 and they love it, plenty of clubs and things going on. But the HOI are fairly high and if you have 10 to go, well in 10 yrs things do go up, take a trip and visit, ask plenty of questions and talk to the locals. Good luck on your search.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,005 times
Default Love the villages!

We recently bought a home in the villages ( dec 2007) and love it! We are a few years yet from retiring there, (live in VA now) and we are so happy we made the decision now..In light of the fact that they ( the villages developers) will be totally be built out in 2012...After that, unless you get a resale, there will be no more new homes for sale..Look around like we did, all over the East coast and NEVER found what we have all for $ 130.00 per month! ( all the golf you can stand, tennis, heated swimming pools, fitness facilities, pickle ball, bocce ball, polo grounds, on and on and on......) The very best thing? The cost of gas does not bother us in the Villages, EVERYTHING incl all shopping, eating out etc, is all done from your golf cart! Little golf cart highways everywhere...You will spend about 10.00 per MONTH for gas...
Love it!

Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 PM

8,176 posts, read 17,980,053 times
EVERYTHING incl all shopping, eating out etc, is all done from your golf cart! Little golf cart highways everywhere...You will spend about 10.00 per MONTH for gas...
Love it!

really, that sounds adorable. I do receive their magazine. What is the weather there like there , say in January and July?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 AM

55 posts, read 189,541 times
There is an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about a couple who retires to The Villages. Not all of it positive, but it certainly gives some insight into the place. The author is Andrew Blechman. He mostly describes The Villages and wonders a bit about why this couple he knows would move there.
'Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias' - WSJ.com

Old 04-20-2008, 11:07 PM

Smile It would be interesting....

I know a lot of the people who live in The Villages are part time residents. Obviously, they have a life in another community.

It would be nice to get feedback from someone who actually has lived in The Villages for more than 5 years, full and part time.

If we ever made such a move, we would still have to work but in this day of age discrimination, it would probably be easy to get a job (over 50).

Old 04-23-2008, 06:45 AM

41,506 posts, read 49,456,378 times
Miles and miles of Officer's Housing. I have never been so put off by an area in my life.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Smile The Villages

Homes go anywhere from 80K (manufactured home) to over $800K so I don't think this sounds like officer housing but I know there must be some cookie cutter communities.

What impresses me is that there is a lot to do and that it seems safe. It looks like there are jobs there for those who may need to work - full or part time.

I wrote in a prior post that I do not have good role models for retirement. My in-laws, lovely people that they are, do not do much and their life (when my MIL was alive) seemed too quiet for me. I just don't know what people do with all that time but this forum is helping me learn that. And, I am learning that for other perspectives and it is making me less afraid of retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or