Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:23 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times

Advertisements

Because some of us will not go gentle into that good night,
And we rage against the dying of the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 07:35 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Because some of us will not go gentle into that good night,
And we rage against the dying of the light.
one of my favorites.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:35 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Girls night out - one topic of conversation was the men.

How some men, no matter how they struggle with health issues, just refuse to take it easy.

I came home to my roommate just barely straggling home. He went to go help someone move. I didn't want to hear the whining. I told him, just throw some money at them and tell them to hire movers. Is it some kind of macho thing? He has cancer. Supposedly in remission, but really should take it easy.

My sister was whining about her neighbor and how sick he is and how his wife just goes and does her thing. I said maybe she is tired of telling him to take it easy? He was outside cutting trees. He is supposed to stay still. He has breathing issues.

My sister went through the same thing with her now deceased husband. I remember he was determined to attend a ceremony where he was to hand out awards, she heard him fall down in the bathroom, but he still went. She couldn't stop him.

Why? Especially when you don't have to. You have enough money to be able to have others do your physical labor type of things.

It is very frustrating.
In short, they don't because they're not dead yet.
Good for them. That's the way they want to live. And perhaps go out - still movin!

Old 10-17-2016, 07:44 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,018,728 times
My Dad is 87, if you don't use it, you'll lose it. He cuts trees, he is a custom knife maker! He takes many breaks. He has A fib, but mostly very healthy.
If he was just sitting in the house, I'd be worried. He keeps saying "I'm getting too old for this s***" But he still goes on. He has to!!! He has 9 acres and I have 1, We share the mowing. He will hire people for stump grinding and some tall pruning though.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
I w

Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
I wasn't aware that many here feel that the aging life is an all or nothing proposition.Who said anything about sitting down and waiting to die as the only alternative to doing work that is definitely for the young and strong. I personally don't subscribe to the notion that we should never relent on those realizations of age that may just free us to other less strenuous pursuits.

I've seen guys who think it's a matter of honor to do heart pounding labor as though they may be thirty, instead of seventy. I've had a few older cars that I love to drive on nice days, made in the forties and fifties they aren't all that sound anymore, so, logic tells me to take it a little bit easy on them when on the road, why can't we see that as being analogous to the way in which we regard our bodies?

Being on one's roof at the age of seventy and beyond is simply not a good idea, but I'm still frustrated at the thought of paying someone to blow off my roof, I live among many trees and this needs to be done frequently, it causes me to wonder if home owning is really all that great for old guys with COPD.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:33 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,373,765 times
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Old 10-17-2016, 10:53 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I wasn't aware that many here feel that the aging life is an all or nothing proposition.Who said anything about sitting down and waiting to die as the only alternative to doing work that is definitely for the young and strong. I personally don't subscribe to the notion that we should never relent on those realizations of age that may just free us to other less strenuous pursuits.

I've seen guys who think it's a matter of honor to do heart pounding labor as though they may be thirty, instead of seventy. I've had a few older cars that I love to drive on nice days, made in the forties and fifties they aren't all that sound anymore, so, logic tells me to take it a little bit easy on them when on the road, why can't we see that as being analogous to the way in which we regard our bodies?

Being on one's roof at the age of seventy and beyond is simply not a good idea, but I'm still frustrated at the thought of paying someone to blow off my roof, I live among many trees and this needs to be done frequently, it causes me to wonder if home owning is really all that great for old guys with COPD.
Good points. It shouldn't be all or nothing. Do what you can and don't make it a race to the graveyard.

Unless that is what they want? Go out with a bang?

I remember my uncle - died at 48. Had a massive heart attack. Yet there he was afterwards, trying to help my grandfather (his dad) with some roof work. Uncle died a couple weeks later.

Grandfather would have lived until 100 if he hadn't been in a wreck. The man was like iron! Now it didn't bother me to see him up on the roof - he was in his 70s, but my uncle - his son - no way!

Old 10-17-2016, 10:59 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
I had a swamp cooler up on the roof. I always knew as I got older I wouldn't want to go up on the roof to service it. At 73 this spring I realised it was on its last legs and I got a air conditioner. Best thing I've done in awhile. No more up on the roof for me.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:54 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Because it drives his wife crazy? She can't stand to see him suffer?
If that's your answer, then you were asking the wrong question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement