U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 02:23 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,450,730 times

Advertisements

nuances and degrees of activity and sorts of activity are maybe being left out of this discussion.

the man in question in OP's initial post is apparently dependent upon either oxygen or a vaporizer inhalation device which he runs into the house all the time to take a whiff from - while chopping tree branches - which indicates he maybe has somewhat advanced COPD or possibly emphysema or asthma or coronary heart disease/coronary artery disease.

so a situation like that can be quite different from scenarios mentioned here and is just different from generalized slowing down or restricting some of the more hazardous or strenuous activities....

Last edited by matisse12; 10-17-2016 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 02:41 PM

6,317 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
nuances and degrees of activity and sorts of activity are maybe being left out of this discussion.

the man in question in OP's initial post is apparently dependent upon either oxygen or a vaporizer inhalation device which he runs into the house all the time to take a whiff from - while chopping tree branches - which indicates he maybe has somewhat advanced COPD or possibly emphysema or asthma or coronary heart disease/coronary artery disease.

so a situation like that can be quite different from scenarios mentioned here and is just different from generalized slowing down or restricting some of the more hazardous or strenuous activities....
Thank you. If you don't have major health issues - go ahead and do what you can do, but this guy?

Old 10-17-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If that's your answer, then you were asking the wrong question.
Ok - so why do men like to drive their wives, partners, SOs, people that care about - crazy??

Old 10-17-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:

The guy is just a sweetie. He is very involved in every aspect of our small community. I'm sure it is killing him that he has had to cut back on so many things. He is seeking treatment, so maybe they will finally get an answer so he can go back to doing all the things he used to do. A lot of it involved fixing/repairing things for those that could not afford to pay someone to do those tasks.

Can y'all send some good thoughts out to this guy?

Old 10-17-2016, 03:37 PM

12,268 posts, read 12,507,549 times
Quote:

It was also her sister's neighbor, whom she apparently had never met. There are always extreme outliers, amplified by gossip, but for the vast majority of the male population, "taking it easy" is a recipe for decrepitude and death.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:39 PM

12,268 posts, read 12,507,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Ok - so why do men like to drive their wives, partners, SOs, people that care about - crazy??
Or why do women get together at hen parties and cluck about men they aren't even married to? If they really cared about him, they would be telling him to get off his lazy butt and do something.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:39 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
You want to know why? Because men, no matter their socio-economic class are mercilessly judged and criticized on their strength and virility by both sexes. Boys from a young age are taught to only project strength. That's pretty much it in a nut shell.
You say that like maybe it's a bad thing. I think it's a good thing.

I'm only 58, and have not slowed down, and am not gonna. Thanks for asking.

Master Po from Kung-Fu is my hero. When you an snatch the pebbles from my hand, Grasshopper...

Old 10-17-2016, 03:42 PM

1,162 posts, read 650,159 times
Because their self-esteem is all wrapped up in their job. It's all they've known all their lives, a lot of them. And because if they don't use it they'll lose it. 1 story out of hundreds of someone who retired and died soon after is all they remember. This is the boat I'm in.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,450,730 times
I'm chuckling about the age 58 at post #57. Age 58 is nothing like age 68 and nothing like age 78 and nothing like age 83!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:14 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
Quote:
I'm chuckling about the age 58 at post #57. Age 58 is nothing like age 68 and nothing like age 78 and nothing like age 83!
Chuckle away then. I know plenty of guys up into their 70's who still ride bikes, hike, even run marathons. I sternly resolve to one day be one of them.

Stand in my way, and I'll run over you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or