Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:58 PM

724 posts, read 593,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You say that like maybe it's a bad thing. I think it's a good thing.

I'm only 58, and have not slowed down, and am not gonna. Thanks for asking.

Master Po from Kung-Fu is my hero. When you an snatch the pebbles from my hand, Grasshopper...
I don't look it it as good or bad, but rather the reality of the male condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 09:04 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Did you ever hear of moderation? Lots of steps between becoming an invalid and going all out to the extent that you will kill yourself just to prove a point.

Of course I've heard of it; I'm an advocate of it. What is it about doing short bouts of tree trimming that you do not consider moderate?

Old 10-21-2016, 10:30 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
We are currently wrapping up something that will make retirement way more comfortable. Today DH came up with some other plan, a whole new business to do after 70, because he likes what he does. Yes, even if he limps a lot and some other joints don't work properly, and he comes home and goes to bed, he still likes what he does.

Another business after he closes this one at my insistence? I'll tell you, I nearly lost it when I heard about that. Not even a good idea, we could lose everything we worked for with this idea. And all just so he can say he's still working and he loves it.

He says there would be less paperwork. It's not the paperwork I really mind. It's the responsibility, the regulations, the officials who scrutinize everything, the wearing down of our older bodies that I mind. I am so stressed with this. What do you do when the man's desires to keep working is just about killing the spouse? I'd like to have a life, an occasional vacation, a rest from the constant work and worry. How am I ever gonna get that?

Old 10-22-2016, 08:58 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
We are currently wrapping up something that will make retirement way more comfortable. Today DH came up with some other plan, a whole new business to do after 70, because he likes what he does. Yes, even if he limps a lot and some other joints don't work properly, and he comes home and goes to bed, he still likes what he does.

Another business after he closes this one at my insistence? I'll tell you, I nearly lost it when I heard about that. Not even a good idea, we could lose everything we worked for with this idea. And all just so he can say he's still working and he loves it.

He says there would be less paperwork. It's not the paperwork I really mind. It's the responsibility, the regulations, the officials who scrutinize everything, the wearing down of our older bodies that I mind. I am so stressed with this. What do you do when the man's desires to keep working is just about killing the spouse? I'd like to have a life, an occasional vacation, a rest from the constant work and worry. How am I ever gonna get that?
Maybe you will have to strike out on your own for vacations etc. This is what I am talking about. Where is the give and take. Yesterday I overheard a guy talking about his travel plans for the rest of the year. Of course he and his wife are going together. Sounded so nice. The way it should be - enjoying each other's company. Maybe that is rare?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
I'm decidedly a senior at age 70 and retired as well. I have both breathing and neurological deficits I've been wrestling with for the past five years and still tend to want to do things myself. I have, however, given-in regarding mowing and yard work and tearfully sold my John Deere yard tractor last year. I don't miss having an occupation at all, however.

I truly believe it's a bitter pill for us men to swallow to admit that there are things we can no longer do physically. Machismo is a powerful force and hard to give up.

I'm workin' on it.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm decidedly a senior at age 70 and retired as well. I have both breathing and neurological deficits I've been wrestling with for the past five years and still tend to want to do things myself. I have, however, given-in regarding mowing and yard work and tearfully sold my John Deere yard tractor last year. I don't miss having an occupation at all.

I truly believe it's a bitter pill for us men to swallow to admit that there are things we can no longer do physically. Machismo is a powerful issue and hard to give up.

I'm workin' on it.
Take care of yourself!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:42 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Take care of yourself!
Thank you. I do in between 24/7 caregiving for my wife. Not the retired life we envisioned but we're together in our own home in a beautiful place filled with abundant nature on the shore of a large lake and those are what count for us, especially the together part.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:50 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe you will have to strike out on your own for vacations etc. This is what I am talking about. Where is the give and take. Yesterday I overheard a guy talking about his travel plans for the rest of the year. Of course he and his wife are going together. Sounded so nice. The way it should be - enjoying each other's company. Maybe that is rare?
Husband has me very tied down helping him with stuff. When he needs something, I am there to run the errand. When he needs things called in, I do that. I do everything outside the house with my cell phone in hand. My car has copies of important paperwork which I need in case he calls. I am here to remind him of things he forgets etc. and my reminders keep him out of a whole lotta troubles. He was less than happy when I spent 10 days with my sister when our Mother was dying. I feel guilty when I spend too much time out just shopping. Blek. Writing about it, really sounds awful. I'm absolutely NOT doing another business after this one.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Husband has me very tied down helping him with stuff. When he needs something, I am there to run the errand. When he needs things called in, I do that. I do everything outside the house with my cell phone in hand. My car has copies of important paperwork which I need in case he calls. I am here to remind him of things he forgets etc. and my reminders keep him out of a whole lotta troubles. He was less than happy when I spent 10 days with my sister when our Mother was dying. I feel guilty when I spend too much time out just shopping. Blek. Writing about it, really sounds awful. I'm absolutely NOT doing another business after this one.
Hoping things work out for you and he sees the light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement