U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:41 AM

71,979 posts, read 72,020,102 times

Advertisements

personally i think you pay way to much for a cola adjusted annuity and they lack practicality .

i sooner see a regular spia and your own investing for inflation protection . there is no way you will ever have a cola adjusted annuity ever match your personal inflation rate . to much risk in the annuity just matching a cpi index compared to how your own bills change . you need much more slack and freedom in the plan than a cola adjusted annuity gives by itself . if the annuity is used not by itself there is no reason to pay for the cola adjusting .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-18-2016 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 02:15 PM

9,024 posts, read 7,791,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
If you do not have a spouse a single life annuity gives with a guaranteed COLA gives you the greatest piece of mind as its basically a private pension.

It takes a sizable lup sum and current interest rates are low but with 10+ years to pan you may be able to set one up now and lock in some benefits and annuity later when rates are higher. Or wait to do an immediate annuity then.

Annuities are not always the best option in the broad sense but for some specific instances they are great.
Much of the investment advice on this chat does assume a spouse and as such is aimed that way. As a single person (widower) it is all about what fills my needs and my needs only and It will change your thinking.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:44 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,862,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
he was referring to the op who is younger than fra

Thank you mathjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
That no longer applies once you reach full retirement age; after that you can work as many hours as you want with no reduction. See:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html

Vasily I am aware of the situation after FRA. I was as mathjak said referring to the OP who is under FRA and is considering the income stream of SS and his employment. He didn't say what age he is but he did say that he was retiring in 10+ years. Since nearly 50% of us file for SS at 62 is an assumption I make a lot.

He was wondering in the original post if those streams of income offset SS. Thanks to reminding folks though about being over FRA that reduction is not in play.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:20 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,968,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanshaloo View Post
I have time to retire 10+ years and wondering how have people creating monthly income streams.
A couple of option I have been following

1. Rental income
2. Annuity
3. Social security
You left out the best option... Invest in a couple of stock and bond index funds.
Some people mention SPIA's. You'd better study up on those before you think of dumping your money in one of those! Annuities are highly inferior products.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDUbQeZvJ9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1muXfdMSNg

Old 10-19-2016, 02:08 AM

71,979 posts, read 72,020,102 times
be careful of the advice you get on anything pertaining to annuity's . we do have a few here who have no understanding of why or how they can be superior to bonds in a comprehensive retirement plan and will try to convince you otherwise .

it has been proven in academic study's over and over thrt spia's and your own investing have had better outcomes over wider ranges of scenario's .

.https://www.kitces.com/blog/Understa...ustainability/

Why Bond Funds Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement