Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 02:50 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

I was just so pleased at age 22 to own my own single family home with a backyard and place for my Australian Shepard to call home.

The lot was only 25 x 100 and the home is listed as 1927...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 02:53 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. The governmental entity which supposedly insures pensions, but is itself underfunded.

Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp - PBGC Protects America's Pensions
Thanks! It's hard to keep up with all the acronyms every one uses here.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:21 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. The governmental entity which supposedly insures pensions, but is itself underfunded.

Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp - PBGC Protects America's Pensions
The PBGC is underfunded but it's in pretty good shape for now because it continues to receive premiums from member pension plans. However, if it had to pay a lot of claims at once, it would not be able to.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:23 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I found one but government got in the way.
There are plenty <$50k homes in satellite cities around Indianapolis, especially the Rust Belt cities north of Indy. You can drive to Indy for work. Not fun, but doable.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
A 400-sf non-dump would work for me, but government would rather I live in a 1200-sf dump.
No, apparently YOU would rather. Or you wouldn't be there after all these decades.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There are plenty <$50k homes in satellite cities around Indianapolis, especially the Rust Belt cities north of Indy. You can drive to Indy for work. Not fun, but doable.
There's millions of things he could do to better himself, but he has not interest. NONE. ZERO. ZILCH.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Life is full of adjustments. If you find yourself in a situation that requires changing in order for you to feel good about your life, it's far better to work to make the needed changes than sit in one place and whine how badly the world is treating you because it's not giving you what you want.

You are never going to get what you desire in Portland. It's a place in which you cannot fulfill your wishes. You either need to move to where you can attain your goals or suck it up and accept your fate if you want to remain in a city in which you cannot afford to live the way you want.

You are not owed anything by anybody. Don't expect anyone to pave the way for you, neither the government nor in the private sector. Make your own changes for yourself and you will spend less time fretting about your life.
It's too late. He's in his 60's and has relegated himself through his own choices to where he is and has no interest whatsoever in improving himself. It is what it is.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Or until PBGC determines otherwise.
The PBGC has no authority whatsoever over public pensions.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There's millions of things he could do to better himself, but he has not interest. NONE. ZERO. ZILCH.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:22 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
There are people out there whom their lives revolved around their work. They never really got to develop too many hobbies or interests, and now that work is gone they feel empty.

It really does not matter the geographical location that you retire in. You can easily sit around and be bored in your big city apartment as you could in some house in a rural area. It's all up to you.
Well said. A woman who retired before I did was miserable, and it was expected. We used to tell her she was institutionalized, like the guy in Shawshank Redemption who gets paroled after 50 years and doesn't want to leave prison. She had 42 years and could have retired 7 years earlier if she'd wanted.

When she left, she came back to the office to visit every other month, and she was so unhappy. She had a husband and a vacation home with a pool in Florida besides her Brooklyn house, but she was just lost.

Finally, her only daughter gave birth to her first grandchild, and I think that was her cure.

Someone asked me if I missed my job. The answer is no. I had emotionally checked out months before. I was ready to go. I thought I would get so much more done in retirement, but I took a part-time job plus have been so busy with activities I like. I need more time just to sit and read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement