U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:22 PM

29,774 posts, read 34,860,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No hate, just frustration with someone who has posted on forum after forum and has had people care enough to try to help him only to be met with excuse after excuse. You should check these out before you judge people in such a self righteous manner.
Bada Bing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:32 PM

2,384 posts, read 909,421 times
Recently retired at 46. After 25 years protecting the public, I felt it was time. Loving every minute of everyday. Key is to be smart with your money and save early.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:46 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
''Self righteous''? Not a bone in my body.
And some one kindly pm'ed me that OP has been an on-going complainer on these forums. Ok, well maybe that explains some of anger and frustration with him/her.
I am neither is self-righteous nor am I an enabler. I just like to hang out on these forums for a little enlightenment, comradery, and entertainment.
Last thing needed is more hate and negativity in this world. That's all I have to say about it.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:22 PM

96 posts, read 66,286 times
I think the key to a great retirement is to have plans on what you want to do. Doing nothing sounds great but it gets old over a couple of months - at least that's what happened to my retired friends.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Happens to a lot... some it is a downward spiral.

My parent's friends retired to Florida and started drinking a lot... he just was not motivated after a lifetime of management.

One day he is at the market and the manager was complaining he couldn't find dependable help... he would hire kids and as soon as they made enough money for what they wanted quit.

My friend said he was interested... stocking the shelves... manager didn't take him seriously but he insisted...

Anyway he got a one week try and did well... always on time and the shoppers liked him... he was hired.

In time he made some real friends at the store... more like a father figure... the manager even wondered if his job was safe...

Clyde was even in the wedding of one of the kids... he loved the job and his wife said he loved going to work.

Clyde died from a heart attack at home in bed... the funeral was well attended... all of his co-workers had only nice things to say and some said he set them straight...

Retirement is what you make of it and for Clyde it was going back to work...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-27-2016 at 08:25 AM..

Old 10-26-2016, 09:47 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
I love that story!
Sometimes it's just having the sense of freedom and ''daring do'' that comes from retirement to make a leap to doing something very different like that.
I did something similar by doing seasonal flower delivery in starting in 2012. This year starting with Thanksgiving I am choosing to finally sit it out and focus on ''home life'' for the holidays. But it was a lot of fun for a few years!

Old 10-27-2016, 08:28 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
OP, here's my take on it. To all these posters who are slamming you at every turn here on this thread, ''There but for the grace of God go I.'' In other words, one day their hateful comments will come back to bite them in their self-righteous butts. One can only hope.
OP often has good points that get lost in whatever his personal story and mistakes are.

I completely agree with his general thesis that renters get screwed. I rented a low end (dated, but not dirty or crime ridden) apartment in the richest city in the state of Indiana. Rent was $700 in 2014. It was up to $820/month this year. That's another $1,200/yr in after tax income out the door. In truly hot rental markets, those rate increases would seem mild. Hip parts of Nashville that were sleepy areas of town a decade ago have had rents double and even triple in some cases.

Homeowners overall housing costs are far more fixed than renters, and likely lower overall in most locations. Most renters are forced to rent because they are low income and cannot qualify for a mortgage. Increased rent payments crowd out money for a downpayment on a home, retirement savings, children, etc., which leaves people stuck in the rent trap - unable to buy due to rent increases. With tightened lending standards, many people who would otherwise buy can't and are stuck renting, leading to more renters chasing rentals.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:34 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
It is a real psychological turning point once you know longer "Need" to work in terms of earning a living.

Being dependant and having those you care about being dependant on you can add stress just like being caged.

Some will say it is an attitude and depending on your personality... living paycheck to paycheck can lead to all kinds of issues.

A funded retirement provides options... often just having options changes things whether or not they are ever exercised.

One of my retired Navy friends always loved restoring cars... it was hard being deployed all over the world... when he retired with 28 years he embraced his passion and it became a business... plus opened the doors to all kinds of social and economic benefits.

One year he had has car shipped from California to New England with a couple of friends and they took 6 weeks driving their 1930 cars back to California avoiding freeways whenever possible... he also bought a few cars along the way that more than paid for his trip...

Old 10-27-2016, 08:41 AM

6,551 posts, read 1,344,624 times
I think that many retires should consider returning to work at least part-time if they can and if they can find a job they enjoy, even if they don't need the money.

I retired almost seven years ago at age 56, but then my husband was laid off this past March at age 59 on a recall basis. Although we had enough savings to see us through until he could collect his Social Security, because his unemployment was only about 25% of what he had been earning, I started collecting my Social Security sooner than I planned and took a part-time job as a wine associate (wine consultant/shelf stocker) in a very large liquor store so that we would have enough to pay our bills without going into our savings. Six weeks ago, my husband was recalled at his former salary, and now our monthly income is now considerably more than it was before his lay-off. I am keeping my job because not only do I enjoy it, but because I have found that I am generally much happier and more energetic than I was before his lay-off -- so this is truly an example of turning lemons into lemonade!

Old 10-27-2016, 08:45 AM

71,511 posts, read 71,694,121 times
we are retired and pretty well set financially but i really enjoy working 1 day a week . i was doing 2 days a month and they asked if i could do once a week if we are home .

i like it a lot . i get good money and i get to interact with others other than just my wife 24/7 plus i am doing what i like and have zero stress .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or